CEL on the all-season c350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 MB C350 4MATIC/2011 CL63 AMG/2014 C63 Coupe 507
Exclamation CEL on the all-season c350

Hey guys,

First of all, having an AMG and the non-amg C class, I apologize posting a thread about the 2008 C350 vehicle in this section, but I thought maybe someone here could possibly help me out with thoughts/experience. I'm sure the AMG models are more tuned with headers and exhausts than C350s/non-amg models thinking I may find answers and tips here (which also made it difficult to search the issues i've been having under non-amg section), but I've also put a thread on the Sedan section.

Here's the situation on my C350 2008 model: Had a CEL for years due (I forget the code and wording but had to do with the exhaust/pressures. Mods are OBX headers, highflow cats with secondary cat delete, res delete with x-pipe and CKS mufflers. I believe these mods did not come with any 02 extensions, etc. I have got the Eurocharged tune a while back, they tried turning off the CEL but kept coming back on. My Etest in Ontario is due soon and Eurocharged told me to drop by whenever I can to help me out (whenever i pass through toronto that is). I'm afraid it's going to be the same situation where my light comes on and I won't pass emissions. Do you guys have any thoughts or ideas to how I may fix this problem? I know I could put the stock back on but I'd rather try to fix it with the current set up if possible, thank you.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
find out what the code is, it's hard to go off of - exhaust/pressures? theres no back pressure sensor on any of the gas cars, only diesels.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 MB C350 4MATIC/2011 CL63 AMG/2014 C63 Coupe 507
I'll look into asap and will get back to this thread. Thank you.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
It is extremely unlikely that you can pass the OBD e-test. While a new ECU tune may be able to turn off the CEL, with aftermarket headers / high-flow precats and the main cats removed you will have at least two "not ready" monitors. In other words, the CEL doesn't even have to be on for you not to be able to pass Ontario's e-test.

O2 sensor spacers are useless.

In addition to having no CELs, you'll need all of the readiness monitors (with a maximum of one "not ready") to show "ready", and AFAIK the only way to get it to that stage is to put back the secondary OEM cats, relocate the O2 sensors bungs that are located between the pre-cats and main cats AFTER the main cats and then drive the full OBD cycle (~ two weeks of mixed city / hwy driving) in order to pass with only one "not ready".
Old 02-09-2015, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by Diabolis
It is extremely unlikely that you can pass the OBD e-test. While a new ECU tune may be able to turn off the CEL, with aftermarket headers / high-flow precats and the main cats removed you will have at least two "not ready" monitors. In other words, the CEL doesn't even have to be on for you not to be able to pass Ontario's e-test.

O2 sensor spacers are useless.

In addition to having no CELs, you'll need all of the readiness monitors (with a maximum of one "not ready") to show "ready", and AFAIK the only way to get it to that stage is to put back the secondary OEM cats, relocate the O2 sensors bungs that are located between the pre-cats and main cats AFTER the main cats and then drive the full OBD cycle (~ two weeks of mixed city / hwy driving) in order to pass with only one "not ready".

This is the main reason why I went with a catted setup for my ARH/MHP LT headers. NY is one of those states with the pesky OBDII emissions testing. I specifically requested with Eurocharged to leave my O2 sensors on. Not having to worry about passing emissions is well worth the 10-15hp sacrifice.