Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption way up with Mobil 1 0W-40

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by bhamg
Burned off by the cats. When I said "cat-killer" I personally had OE primary cats killed at 50k miles in an M5 as a direct result of a high rate of oil consumption. It's the oil itself and the range of additives present in the oil and gasoline. This from Wikipedia:

Catalyst poisoning occurs when the catalytic converter is exposed to exhaust containing substances that coat the working surfaces, encapsulating the catalyst so that it cannot contact and treat the exhaust. The most-notable contaminant is lead, so vehicles equipped with catalytic converters can be run only on unleaded fuels. Other common catalyst poisons include fuel sulfur, manganese (originating primarily from the gasoline additive MMT), and silicone, which can enter the exhaust stream if the engine has a leak that allows coolant into the combustion chamber. Phosphorus is another catalyst contaminant. Although phosphorus is no longer used in gasoline, it (and zinc, another low-level catalyst contaminant) was until recently widely used in engine oil antiwear additives such as zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP). Beginning in 2004, a limit of phosphorus concentration in engine oils was adopted in the API SM and ILSAC GF-4 specifications.
You'd need to burn a LOT of oil to clog and kill the cats - as in going through a quart every 200 miles or so for several years. The only way you could use up that much oil is if your rings are shot or the cylinder walls scored, and you'd be seeing tons of blue smoke coming out the tailpipe every time you accelerate. Been there myself.

Leaded gas hasn't been around for, what - 30 years now? And, you'd need ten times the ZDDP content in the oil that normally comes in oils with even with the highest levels of anti-wear additives to produce enough garbage to kill the cats in 50K miles. Yes, you will kill them sooner, but that means maybe in 20 years instead of 30. It was almost certainly a defect with your motor that caused you to burn too much oil that killed them, not the additives themselves.

M5 you say? An E34 with a Nikasil block by any chance?
Old 02-19-2015, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
You'd need to burn a LOT of oil to clog and kill the cats - as in going through a quart every 200 miles or so for several years. The only way you could use up that much oil is if your rings are shot or the cylinder walls scored, and you'd be seeing tons of blue smoke coming out the tailpipe every time you accelerate. Been there myself.

Leaded gas hasn't been around for, what - 30 years now? And, you'd need ten times the ZDDP content in the oil that normally comes in oils with even with the highest levels of anti-wear additives to produce enough garbage to kill the cats in 50K miles. Yes, you will kill them sooner, but that means maybe in 20 years instead of 30. It was almost certainly a defect with your motor that caused you to burn too much oil that killed them, not the additives themselves.

M5 you say? An E34 with a Nikasil block by any chance?
Alusil. My record was during a hard mountain run when my oil light went on...I had gone 140 miles and used up 1.5 liters of TWS. We who had this issue of high oil consumption were given free TWS by our dealer for a few years. At 15k miles I was still using a liter every 800 miles. My cats were dead at 50k miles, trust me. We discovered this when I failed my first emissions test and I ended up being asked to volunteer my car to be tested on the gov't dyno to compare vs. the factory emissions files used for federal certification. There's much more to that backstory but I shouldn't really talk about that here...

I did end up getting the motor replaced but it was never a "blue-smoker." Must have been those low-tension, low-friction rings.

Last edited by bhamg; 02-19-2015 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Ok it was just a thought.