MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   eyebrow lights/leds (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/575373-eyebrow-lights-leds.html)

Exhibit13 02-26-2015 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG (Post 6345228)
It was a job I had to take like 4 breaks....I was out of breath from contorting my body and wrist...It was a nightmare...

HAHHA, Classic!

c63Jimbo 02-26-2015 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG (Post 6345228)
It was a job I had to take like 4 breaks....I was out of breath from contorting my body and wrist...It was a nightmare...

haha sounds familiar. Fogs are way worse to replace. A tip for the fogs remember the way you rotated it out as well as the location of the ridge before you pull it out.

Once it warms up and I get my car washed I will post mine with the LEDs. From the picture, mine definitely seem a bit brighter but not at all overkill. My eyebrows, headlights and fogs all match. Now if i could just find a way to keep fogs on all the time or at least not turn on as you turn, I hate when a valet pulls up turning the wheel and one fog is on, looks like a fog light is out.

C63TSgt 02-26-2015 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by c63Jimbo (Post 6345248)
haha sounds familiar. Fogs are way worse to replace. A tip for the fogs remember the way you rotated it out as well as the location of the ridge before you pull it out.

Once it warms up and I get my car washed I will post mine with the LEDs. From the picture, mine definitely seem a bit brighter but not at all overkill. My eyebrows, headlights and fogs all match. Now if i could just find a way to keep fogs on all the time or at least not turn on as you turn, I hate when a valet pulls up turning the wheel and one fog is on, looks like a fog light is out.

What fogs did you use, I have a light out and I'm looking to match my 8000k eyebrows and HIDs. Having a hard time finding 8000k H7s.

c63Jimbo 02-26-2015 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by C63TSgt (Post 6345263)
What fogs did you use, I have a light out and I'm looking to match my 8000k eyebrows and HIDs. Having a hard time finding 8000k H7s.

Woah, 8000k must be pretty blue. I got 5000K

http://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product...n-h7-twin-pack

Exhibit13 02-26-2015 10:06 PM

Speaking of the fog lights I can't tell you how many times I have been told one of my lights was out! Then I try to explain it is normal and people are like wtf, I wish you could just turn them off totally if not turn them on all the time.

C63TSgt 02-26-2015 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by c63Jimbo (Post 6345295)

Yeah the pics are on page one of this thread. Thank you for the link!

c63Jimbo 02-27-2015 08:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Took some quick cell phone pics before work...

akmatic63 02-27-2015 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by c63Jimbo (Post 6345295)

Just what I was looking for, thanks for posting this! Im getting 2 sets, one for the s65 fogs as well!

Its a little cheaper on amazon if anyone cares;

c63Jimbo 02-27-2015 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by akmatic63 (Post 6345842)
Just what I was looking for, thanks for posting this! Im getting 2 sets, one for the s65 fogs as well!

Its a little cheaper on amazon if anyone cares; Amazon.com: Philips - Diamond Vision H7 Halogen HID Bulbs (Pair): Automotive

I got ripped off! A whole $2! :smash:

Someone out there owes me a Bean Burrito

ZephyrAMG 02-27-2015 12:08 PM

Nice job...but how do you replace the fog lights?

c63Jimbo 02-27-2015 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG (Post 6345941)
Nice job...but how do you replace the fog lights?

Researching this, I found 2 ways :

- more invasive (probably quicker in the long run, and less room for hurting yourself) - removing the wheel, fender liner, and bottom tray, and going under, turning the knob. you more than likely have much more visibility of what you are doing but i didnt want to fully remove the liner and I couldnt find my torque wrench at the time

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ulbs-pics.html

I used the link above for reference, the way I did it:

- Less Invasive but ended up taking 3 or so hours and scratching up my arm - turn the wheel, jack it up, unbolt only the rear bolts of the bottom tray, unclip maybe 4 clips of the fender liner and peel it back to be able to put your arm through and turn the knob. Getting them out wasn't hard doing it this way, it was putting it back in which I essentially did it blind and feeling around with my arms up in there until I finally found the location, the correct orientation of the ridge, and the direction to turn it (I forgot I turned it "x" direction and literally had it in the socket again trying to turn it the wrong way and couldn't understand why it wasn't gripping..30 minutes later, i decide to turn it the other way and it clips in....i felt like an idiot.) with my arms up in there for a while, my forearms were rubbing on the plastic and got irritated but nothing too bad

I didnt enjoy doing this swap, but if I needed to, I would do it again.

Mort 02-27-2015 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by c63Jimbo (Post 6345248)

I have a 2010 and I found I could put my head light switch on full lights (farthest position clockwise) and pull the center out for the fog lights and leave it there when I turned the car off. It would stay in that position and the fogs would come on when the car was restarted. This way you never get the one fog light turning illumination and your fogs stay lit all the time unless you turn them off.

c63Jimbo 02-27-2015 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mort (Post 6346386)
I have a 2010 and I found I could put my head light switch on full lights (farthest position clockwise) and pull the center out for the fog lights and leave it there when I turned the car off. It would stay in that position and the fogs would come on when the car was restarted. This way you never get the one fog light turning illumination and your fogs stay lit all the time unless you turn them off.

Interesting. My model (2011) has an independent button to the left of the headlight switch that i have to press every time I get in the car. It wont default on. at this point, its muscle memory habit for me to do when I get in while I adjust my seat to "RACEMODE." But when others are driving (valet, or dealer/mechanic) as they pull up for me, they don't know. Its being picky but those are some of the only times i get to see my car roll up since i'm 99.9% the driver and it would be nice to get the full presence without the "wah,wah" moment of them turning and one turn on and the occasional buddy say "hey, dude your fog is out..." (sigh)

QWKSNKE 03-01-2015 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mort (Post 6346386)

Your lights turn off with the car?
Only my headlights turn off with the car with the switch in this setting. My tails, markers, eyebrows all stay on

Mort 03-01-2015 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE (Post 6348092)
Your lights turn off with the car?
Only my headlights turn off with the car with the switch in this setting. My tails, markers, eyebrows all stay on

Yes everything turns off on my car. Maybe it is just the 2010 MY that works this way.

akmatic63 03-02-2015 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by c63Jimbo (Post 6345857)
I got ripped off! A whole $2! :smash:

Someone out there owes me a Bean Burrito

haha but really i only order through amazon because i have that free 2 day shipping thing so I can get stuff done quicker!

TAILWAG 03-02-2015 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Exhibit13 (Post 6345324)
Speaking of the fog lights I can't tell you how many times I have been told one of my lights was out! Then I try to explain it is normal and people are like wtf, I wish you could just turn them off totally if not turn them on all the time.

I know! This is the most annoying car about this car. I feel like I have to drive around with a sticker that points at the fog-lights that reads: YES, I KNOW...

Kriston 03-02-2015 04:18 PM

LED's in the PFL W204 Eye brows are a no go. I jumped on the PIAA band wagon and ordered 2 sets of the 194's.

I really have no idea why LED's do not like our head lights.

c63Jimbo 03-02-2015 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kriston (Post 6349666)
LED's in the PFL W204 Eye brows are a no go. I jumped on the PIAA band wagon and ordered 2 sets of the 194's.

I really have no idea why LED's do not like our head lights.

I am using LEDs in mine, so far so good..knock on wood. Pics above.

Kriston 03-02-2015 04:44 PM

Its only a matter of time before they start flickering etc. Im sure you don't go out front of your car much to check to see if they are flickering / not working. I have LED's in mine and they are still going, but they are fading / flickering or just doesn't want to turn on. Back to good old incandescent bulbs for the eyelids.

This issue has been addressed before, the LED brows on our cars are not suitable for LED's.

Originally Posted by c63Jimbo (Post 6349679)
I am using LEDs in mine, so far so good..knock on wood. Pics above.

c63Jimbo 03-02-2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kriston (Post 6349700)
Its only a matter of time before they start flickering etc. Im sure you don't go out front of your car much to check to see if they are flickering / not working. I have LED's in mine and they are still going, but they are fading / flickering or just doesn't want to turn on. Back to good old incandescent bulbs for the eyelids.

This issue has been addressed before, the LED brows on our cars are not suitable for LED's.

Do you think I will I have the same issue with my license plate LEDs as well? or just eyebrows? The LEDs I used worked for all of the interior lights.

Kriston 03-02-2015 05:04 PM

I don't think you would have an issue,

I am using the same 194 LED's that I have in the brows in my side markers and license plate lights, no issues.

Main issue are the eye brow lights.

Originally Posted by c63Jimbo (Post 6349706)
Do you think I will I have the same issue with my license plate LEDs as well? or just eyebrows? The LEDs I used worked for all of the interior lights.

lionheart_ 03-02-2015 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kriston (Post 6349700)

you know what i've noticed? i had the same menacing problem of one eyebrow led flickering for the longest time, so i decided to open it up and just reseat led itself in the socket and voila, no more flickering. it might be deja vu, but i think i remember reading a thread that stated if the leds are seated too far into the socket, it could lead to some flickering.

anyway, i'm not arguing with your conclusion, just merely giving my two cents for anybody that currently has leds and wants to try a last resort attempt before replacing the pesky eyebrow lights.

Kriston 03-02-2015 07:33 PM

It could be as simple as that, but i really don't have the patience to be playing with the eyebrow lights every few weeks.

I rather just switch back to a decent incandescent bulb and call it a day. The WHITE LED does not match the stock HID's anyways. I prefer a more OEM look then after market.

Originally Posted by lionheart_ (Post 6349789)
you know what i've noticed? i had the same menacing problem of one eyebrow led flickering for the longest time, so i decided to open it up and just reseat led itself in the socket and voila, no more flickering. it might be deja vu, but i think i remember reading a thread that stated if the leds are seated too far into the socket, it could lead to some flickering.

anyway, i'm not arguing with your conclusion, just merely giving my two cents for anybody that currently has leds and wants to try a last resort attempt before replacing the pesky eyebrow lights.

glovemoney 03-07-2015 07:34 PM

Did the PIAA install today and the install went better than expected. Thanks for the tips!