Looking to purchase a 2010-2011 C63 AMG or BMW M3 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Ford FX2 Tremor
Looking to purchase a 2010-2011 C63 AMG or BMW M3 Sedan

Greetings.

First time poster. Long time lurker. As my title says, I am comparing the two cars for a potential purchase in the next 90 days. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with both cars. I have driven both... The M3 seems to be more driver focused, but I love the styling of the MB. Decisions!

Also the M3 has a pretty common bearing issue. Any major things I need to watch out for regarding the C63? I saw a head bolt sticky.

Thanks in advance for any advice, opinions, etc.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
I have driven both cars. You like the styling of C63 and mention a bearing issue in BMW.

C63 will be more fun to drive than the M, has much more TQ, is faster, and exhaust note is incredible.

The steering response and feel of C63 is extremely good.

If you plan to track your car you might want to consider M3 if not then C63 all the way. C63 require an oil cooler for tracking.

I love my C63.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
That depends entirely on what forum you post on. Post on the M3 forum and the responses will be all pro M3.

I'm surprised if you have really driven both that you couldn't make up your mind. You will figure out very quickly if you like the high strung M3 engine or the low end torque of the C63. Pre 2012 the tranny on the M3 is much better.

Do you want a manual or plan on tracking (or a convertible I guess lol)? M3 for sure.
Low end torque, better DD, no tracking? C63.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 AM

2014 Ford FX2 Tremor
I am looking to buy a sedan with the automatic. Same as the M3. I do not plan on going to the track. It is going to be my daily driver and I will probably do some tasteful mods as well.

Both were fun to drive, both had amazing curb appeal. I think it will come down to which one I can get the right options, color, and price locally.

Thanks for your valued opinions. Honestly I posted on the M3 forums, and the comments were quite objective - same as here.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe, BMW 335xi Frozen Silver
I just bought my C63 coupe last week. Was in the same boat as you M3 vs C63. I was coming from a FBO 335i E92 coupe which was considerably faster than any M3 on the road. Handling wise, I had the M3 front upper/lower control arms with KWV1s so I don't think mine was very far off of the M3.

Handling in the BMW is slightly more favourable than the C63. After loads of research throughout my shopping, it all comes down to what you're buying the car for. If you plan to track every weekend, go for the M3. In my case, Im not a big fan of tracking, but I do enjoy my occasional drag race 1/4 mile times which goes hand in hand with the C63.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
mazda rx7
Originally Posted by realjones88
That depends entirely on what forum you post on. Post on the M3 forum and the responses will be all pro M3.

I'm surprised if you have really driven both that you couldn't make up your mind. You will figure out very quickly if you like the high strung M3 engine or the low end torque of the C63. Pre 2012 the tranny on the M3 is much better.

Do you want a manual or plan on tracking (or a convertible I guess lol)? M3 for sure.
Low end torque, better DD, no tracking? C63.
+1 on this.

M3 is a torqueless wonder that isn't very fun on a DD, but it has better handling.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by leungsta
I just bought my C63 coupe last week. Was in the same boat as you M3 vs C63. I was coming from a FBO 335i E92 coupe which was considerably faster than any M3 on the road. Handling wise, I had the M3 front upper/lower control arms with KWV1s so I don't think mine was very far off of the M3.

Handling in the BMW is slightly more favourable than the C63. After loads of research throughout my shopping, it all comes down to what you're buying the car for. If you plan to track every weekend, go for the M3. In my case, Im not a big fan of tracking, but I do enjoy my occasional drag race 1/4 mile times which goes hand in hand with the C63.
Well said.

Generally, the M3 is more driver focused, it handles better and it feels glued to the road - it gives better road feedback.

Generally, the C63 is less road race ready, but it is a stop light to stop light king compared to the M3. The C63 torque is great, it feels sort of like a V8 Camaro/Mustang (torque wise), but with four doors.

I prefer the sound of the C63 much better vs the M3. Overall, the fit and finish of the M3 is better. MB improved many of the rattles and interior quirkiness of the C63 post face lift, but to me, the M3 still offers a better overall fit and finish.

The C63 6.2L engine is rock solid and so is the transmission compared to the M3. The C63 makes a boat load more TQ, but the M3 weighs less. However, all being equal, the C63 still beats in a drag race and hwy. However, in the curves or road racing outtings, the M3 is still the benchmark.

I do not own an M3, but I do own an M5 as well as my current C63. I have many friends with M3's and have driven many M3's; I like the M3 for what it is...a driver's car for curves carving. I like the C63 for what it is...a four doors muscle car with great brakes and decent handling.

It all depends what you want the car for.

Last edited by HardC63; 03-29-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Diavel13
I am looking to buy a sedan with the automatic. Same as the M3. I do not plan on going to the track. It is going to be my daily driver and I will probably do some tasteful mods as well.

Both were fun to drive, both had amazing curb appeal. I think it will come down to which one I can get the right options, color, and price locally.

Thanks for your valued opinions. Honestly I posted on the M3 forums, and the comments were quite objective - same as here.
If you're looking for just a road car, it is very hard to beat the C63. Pros: Seemingly endless torque (which is great around town/on the highway), smooth transmission, fantastic/supportive Recaro seats, intoxicating sound, etc.

I too considered an E92 M3 (I've driven every iteration of the E9X). I preferred the steering feel of the C63 (better weight, more communicative, great turn-in). The S65 motor in the E9X is an absolute peach but you have to rev the **** out of it to derive maximum enjoyment. I mean, the E9X M3 torque curve is impressive but 295 lb-ft pales in comparison to 443 lb-ft.

The E9X's M-DCT is great. In full manual (M) mode, it is quicker/more consistent than the MCT in the C63. That said, the MCT's 100-millisecond shifts are nothing to scoff at (the MCT is really quite good in all of the automatic modes).

The E9X M3 is also fun to throw around in corners but so is the LCI C63 (despite its extra weight), which received a pretty heavily revised suspension in '12. The C63's ride is definitely firm (especially to those uninitiated to the realm of performance-oriented cars) but the damping is high-quality.

Best of luck. As others have said, back-to-back test drives should be able to solve your dilemma, especially considering you have no desire to track the car.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
If you do a little searching on here, you will see a good majority of C63 owners were previous bmw/m3 owners. There is a reason why they switched.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:39 AM

2014 Ford FX2 Tremor
Originally Posted by HardC63
Well said.

Generally, the M3 is more driver focused, it handles better and it feels glued to the road - it gives better road feedback.

Generally, the C63 is less road race ready, but it is a stop light to stop light king compared to the M3. The C63 torque is great, it feels sort of like a V8 Camaro/Mustang (torque wise), but with four doors.

I prefer the sound of the C63 much better vs the M3. Overall, the fit and finish of the M3 is better. MB improved many of the rattles and interior quirkiness of the C63 post face lift, but to me, the M3 still offers a better overall fit and finish.

The C63 6.2L engine is rock solid and so is the transmission compared to the M3. The C63 makes a boat load more TQ, but the M3 weighs less. However, all being equal, the C63 still beats in a drag race and hwy. However, in the curves or road racing outtings, the M3 is still the benchmark.

I do not own an M3, but I do own an M5 as well as my current C63. I have many friends with M3's and have driven many M3's; I like the M3 for what it is...a driver's car for curves carving. I like the C63 for what it is...a four doors muscle car with great brakes and decent handling.

It all depends what you want the car for.
Thanks for your awesome input. I am a stoplight to stoplight kind of guy. I think you answered my questions. Trust me if Ford made a 4 door sedan with the fit/finish of the new Mustang, I would be all over it. Guess the MB gets the vote. Appreciate it.