C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

wheel speed/abs sensor - HELLPPPPP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
wheel speed/abs sensor - HELLPPPPP

So, I'm having a host of problems that I believe to be a wheel speed sensor. All at once I'm getting "run flat indicator inoperative and edb, abs and esc inoperative along with the message and warnings lights on the dash. It's also doing other things like abs pulsating when braking, randomly giving the car a couple hundred rpm worth of throttle when not on the throttle, power steering cutting out and car not downshifting (as well as other weird shifting related stuff) when trying to kick it down one when in drive. All these issues seem to happen together. After clearing and reading the fault codes via OBD2 scan on a couple occasions it keeps coming up with "P1425 Wheel speed signal implausible". However, I'm reluctant to start replacing things before I get a bit more input. First off, would the front right and left give off two separate codes or do they share "1425" not letting me know which side to start on? Secondly, when monitoring all four wheel speeds when driving in a straight line I expected to see one corner either dead or always spiked, or something obvious but they all seem to read out but they also ALL drop to 0 for a split second all at different times. Is that something I should be seeing? And finally, I know that if I pinpoint the corner I still don't know if it's the hub or the actual sensor that's faulty. I've even read on the site that someone pulled the sensor and cleaned it up and got rid of the problem. Hell, something could even be a bit loose perhaps. What do you guys think?

edit: Additional possibly relevant info: My friend whom I bought it from says he thinks started throwing the inoperative codes around the time he wheel alignment at the dealership. The car drives perfectly straight, no pulling, steering wheel is dead straight when going straight. And also, the car is on 245's front but 275's rear. Conti extreme contact DWS front and sportcontact 2 rears (i think). However, I see you guys running all sorts of non stock tire sizes and having no problem

And this is everything/all I'm seeing from the dash related to problems (as well as the p1425 fault code via obd2 obviously):

Last edited by ShaneN.; 07-14-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
mazda rx7
All at once I'm getting "run flat indicator inoperative and edb, abs and esc inoperative along with the message and warnings lights on the dash
This happened to my car.

I brought it to dealer and they had my car for like 2 weeks. In the end, they replaced the wheel speed sensor. Everything was replaced because car was under warranty.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:29 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by ab0bab0i
This happened to my car.

I brought it to dealer and they had my car for like 2 weeks. In the end, they replaced the wheel speed sensor. Everything was replaced because car was under warranty.
Were you getting any of the other weird symptoms? Did they replace just the sensor or the hub as well? Both sides?

I'd like to think the code would indicate a specific side to tackle, then I could just start with just the sensor/harness which is cheap and easy - and if that doesn't fix it then I'd do the hub as well.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
Were you getting any of the other weird symptoms? Did they replace just the sensor or the hub as well? Both sides?

I'd like to think the code would indicate a specific side to tackle, then I could just start with just the sensor/harness which is cheap and easy - and if that doesn't fix it then I'd do the hub as well.
Why would the hub cause an issue?
Old 07-14-2015, 11:36 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by Gerry_M
Why would the hub cause an issue?
Apparently there is two components to the wheel speed sensor reading properly, the sensor and the hub. I assume there is a magnet or something to that affect on the hub side. Regardless, I just went ahead and ordered the sensor. Cost me $130 bucks and it works on both left or right side. I'm really crossing my fingers this is all it is, I've only had the car three weeks and haven't even put 3 tanks of gas through it yet. I just want to enjoy it. Cross your fingers for me.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:06 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Ugh, visiting another shop today who was very helpful and he cleared my fault codes and said come back in on Monday and he'd see what came up in between today and then, but he thinks it's the esp module. I don't think this is going to be a cheap fix...

On that note, anyone need a wheel speed sensor? haha j/k
Old 09-03-2015, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
What did it end up being?