Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
Forum issues: vendors and more!

Enough is enough.

Let me begin by saying I have been here for some time, however, more importantly I have been around car forums for 10 years now and collectively have put up well over 10,000 posts over the internet. Most have all been received well while some from back in the day were a little off course. That being said, I have NEVER been approached by a forum moderator with regards to my posting.

Real quick -- before I get more lashings -- I'm not going to say what moderator or use forum member names, so don't ask. I will mention vendors though.

For some time now AMR has been posting here. Now, I haven't dealt with them for a long time for good reason, but this dates back to my days in the subaru crowd. They have a new thread with nitrous results on an "otherwise" stock car and the gains they achieved, great.

However, looking out for the community, I made two posts which have been removed. NEITHER of these posts were accusatory in nature nor did I use any harsh language, etc. Just simple questions. Pending reply, I am not sure whether AMR asked these to be removed or not, they just were by an admin and said admin reached out to me asking me to express my opinion in a fresh thread. Fine.

Some background. My brother had a WRX way back when that was dog boxed by AMR and running a large turbo setup. In our youth, and stupidity, we also went along with some of AMR's work that used software to manipulate NYS law in order to get this vehicle through an inspection. Sure, we all do it, but to some this matters. Futhermore, in our youth, we got in the car and hammered it smiling ear to ear at loud noises... until we got home. Long story short, car became issue after issue so we unloaded it.

Then I bought an Sti and made the mistake of going back. I bought an AMR product, one of "their" journal bearing turbos and slapped it on my Sti. Furthermore, no expense was spared at this turbo build ended up costing about $15k without a built motor. Again, long story short, turbo failure lead to MULTIPLE motor failures (all paid for by me) and me up you know what creek without a paddle. Reached out and got what was expected.. "Nothing we can do" and "You gotta pay to play in the aftermarket game." They aren't wrong saying that, but no need to dump salt in the wounds. So I kept my mouth shut about a product they claimed to be theirs that cause catastrophic failure in my Sti, twice, and moved onto cars that come from the factory more stout, aka Germans.

And here we are today. If you've seen the thread recently then you may see other posts I've made with regards to them claiming they are two different companies yet have the EXACT same address and just flipped where AMR is in the website title. ***THIS IS NOT PROVEN*** but, to me, this sounds like one company to do "business" and the other to just handle what negativity comes at them and they can just deflect it. Such as "No, we're AUTOMASTER not AMR performance" and vice versa when they get an angry customer.

We all know how this works, some people have great experiences with companies and others don't, again, fine. If you want AMR to blow up your car with nitrous and hacked off primary cats have at it. In fact, it'll run fine just long enough to clear them of any wrong doing. I'd even put money down that they are aware the PFL M156 engines are prone to headbolt failure but haven't discussed this with a single PFL M156 owner looking at their products.

This is where it really crosses the line for me. I begin to ask the right questions, strike a chord, and am told to pipe down.

Well... No.

This is supposed to be a car community where we help each other and look out for one another. This is not a place for vendors to be able to pay an immunity fee for their bad business practices to get swept under the rug by admins. As a matter of fact, admins should be paying better attention to the community as I'd like to imagine they are enthusiasts themselves. Therefore, when logical claims are made answers should be given and names should be cleared. Not a series of PMs and disappearing posts.

So, where am I going with this. If you guys remember I made a thread with recommendations on how to clean up the W204 section and make it a more appealing place. As in, consolidate and remove some stickies as well as introduce new ones. There was a lot of positive feedback from members, obviously no admins, and you guessed it, there was no change. HOWEVER, in the first hour or so in a vendor thread I get administrative attention.

Get it yet?

My advice to all of you... Stay away from AMR and other names that have had doubt brought upon them. Furthermore, avoid Vivid (who ignored my post about learning our community first). All Vivid is doing to you guys is retailing parts AT UNBEATABLE PRICES!!!. Also, for those of you who don't know, Vivid and Agency Power are either the same or very closely related so that overpriced valvetronic exhaust should also be avoided.

Instead, you should all do business with those who look out for us. I know I'll be called a fan boy for even saying Weistec, so let me be perfectly clear. I do not nor have I ever had a Weistec product on either of my C63s. One reason is I don't plan to S/C my car and other is because Eurocharged is far more convenient for me and had what I needed. If you need a tune, those are the guys to go to. Don't buy into this new Vivid bench flash tune either. After all, when asked why not OBDII tuning they said they haven't seen it done before... Right.

When you buy directly from EC, Weistec, as well as Mode Carbon, RW carbon, OE tuning, and companies that get great reviews here you are buying the right way. You'll get a great product and should you receive something that has a defect you will be taken care of, the right way.

Lastly, to handle retail, deal with Tal@ACG for your desires for things such as ADV or HRE wheels, brake packages, etc. In other words, go through Tal when you need to get a product that a company (such as HRE) does not sell direct to consumer.

I am just an enthusiast looking out for a community. That is all that is going on here. Not a dick measuring contest nor am I directly calling out admins and sub par vendors. In fact, I would love to see improvements made on both fronts. Both with vendors becoming more involved with our community and actually listening to us. ***Insert to RWCarbon for actually posted prices publicly*** Furthermore, clean up this damn section already. We don't need all of those stickies. What we need is a read this first sticky, a FAQ sticky, a Media sticky, and a drag times sticky. You know, things that are relevant to the vast majority of us.

Again, I am not looking for any responses here, simply just speaking my mind. Please do not turn this into a vendor/admin bash fest where we all unload our thoughts. This is simply a message from a member who has been here a while, driven and owned multiple AMGs, sharing my observations and experiences.

***If you do reply DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST. It will just clog up the thread because it's pretty long. Just quote whatever you're addressing.***

Cheers all!

Last edited by CarHopper; 10-02-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 Coupe
Thank you. This is what forums should be about.. Like you said looking out for one another sharing good and bad experiences with different vendors. This is a great forum for info but you have to dig for it. Everything is thrown into one section. I was a member of the forum at myg37.com before purchasing the merc and that forum is light years ahead of this as far as layout. There's even a section for vendor feedback and site feedback which in this case seems like it would be very relevant. Gives members, vendors and admins an area to voice their concerns and work things out publicly if need be
Old 10-02-2015, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ This forum offers many sub-forums as well. However, they is minimal traffic in those so they are really irrelevant.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I agree 100%. Forums are for learning and helping one another and MOST IMPORTANTLY, advising each other what and where to steer clear of whether it be vendors, parts, dealerships, brands, etc...

Such a shame the aftermarket industry is so scamming and shady. I have dealt with my own "gotcha!" purchases and dealings myself...enough to keep me away from "here today, gone tomorrow" companies.

Thank you for voicing your opinion. You must be heard or else it isn't a forum...
Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
100% agreed

I got a wrist slap as well for hurting Vivid's feelings. I won't get into the specifics, but someone went crying to a mod and, well, there go my posts. I was told to make a new post to detail my experiences with them. Let's just tag on here and do it? Sure, lets!

Not only are they just a spammy re-seller of product with just about ZERO interest or knowledge of the communities they spam to, but way back when I was in the Porsche 996TT game, I developed a dual snorkel air intake setup with instructions and lots of pictures to the forum I was a part of with how to make it. Great, it was met with a lot of enthusiasm, and the hp gains were pretty noticeable. A few weeks later, Vivid "developed" the exact thing I had created. That's all well and fine, I had no interest in commercially producing or making money off of it - I just did it for the enjoyment of the cars and to give back to the members. What REALLY annoyed me though, is that on their website, they were using MY PICTURES of MY CAR and MY PROTOTYPE to sell it on their store webpage with a price and order buttons and everything. Without my permission. Unbelievable - they got caught in a public forum, and just kinda brushed it off saying that they thought we were friends or something and it was ok. Well it was NOT ok, and I could tell you other stories about their horrible service and second-rate cheap Agency Power products that they don't stand behind. Maybe things have changed, but the culture rots from the top at that place.

So I'm not going to hurt anyone elses feelings anymore, I'm going to be a good little MBW drone now, but I think most of the members here are smart enough to figure out who are the real trusted experts and who to run away from. BOLD multi-colored ads promising HUGE HORSEPOWER claims, without knowing simple things like that you can OBD2-tune these cars, or some unknown coming out of left field spraying the hell out of a car with no other details and no reputation to support that they are doing it safely - well these just scream RUN AWAY to me. And if you're foolish enough to buy into the slick marketing, then you deserve whatever you get.

This is a COMMUNITY. We, as members, have a duty to tell the good and the bad, and to protect one another. I want to know if a particular vendor has a shady past, or a reputation for ripping people off. And as a member of this community, I don't want to feel that the advertisement $$$$ trumps honest discussion, or that I can't voice my annoyance at spammy advertising or cast doubt on dubious claims or outright lies. We should be able to call vendors out just like we do one another. I don't know if this is an IB thing, I won't get into that one, and I know this is a business and no democracy, but the pendulum needs to swing back a little bit in our direction. Those who provide the knowledge base, the traffic, and the business for the vendors that do right by us.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
The point here is that admins are protect vendors who participate in shadiness. We ALL know that business throughout all industries have good and bad companies. What is upsetting to me is that so-called enthusiasts are the ones protecting vendors here and keeping some vital truths from members.

If I were an admin I'd be telling the vendor not only to fix themselves, but I'd revoke their membership until they fixed their practices. Probably also why I'm not an admit because with the vendors here this site would lose a lot of money.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
BLKROKT -- Good stuff. Those of us who have been here a while get it, however, recently we have also seen an influx of new members to this subforum as w204 prices have dropped quite a bit and new owners are popping up. Furthermore, for many, the AMG game is new to them especially as they pick up budget AMGs. This is why I bring this up now. I don't want a new member in a PFL to think they can just start spraying their car without consequence. It's just not fair to them as they may not be technically inclined or really know much about cars other than they enjoy them and want to extract more power but just don't know how to go about it.

Again, to those whose feelings this thread hurts, this isn't us pulling things out of nowhere and berating you. You've brought this upon yourself and I'm just tired of people getting ripped off.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
BLKROKT -- Good stuff. Those of us who have been here a while get it, however, recently we have also seen an influx of new members to this subforum as w204 prices have dropped quite a bit and new owners are popping up. Furthermore, for many, the AMG game is new to them especially as they pick up budget AMGs. This is why I bring this up now. I don't want a new member in a PFL to think they can just start spraying their car without consequence. It's just not fair to them as they may not be technically inclined or really know much about cars other than they enjoy them and want to extract more power but just don't know how to go about it.

Again, to those whose feelings this thread hurts, this isn't us pulling things out of nowhere and berating you. You've brought this upon yourself and I'm just tired of people getting ripped off.
I've been here for a little more than 3 years now. Not my first forum by a long shot and this is what I can say......

First, this community was filled with alot of knowledge and help, still is, but let's face it, its one down hill, mainly because like you guys mentioned, we are getting a major influx of people buying C63s for $35k and trying to mod them up with extra funds. Problem is, us "older" folks have seen all the tire offset questions, mod questions etc. It is what it is though, happens to all the different cars out there as they age.

Second, the vendors. Alot are upstanding vendors and do business the right way. Others, like Vivid, I can't stand their ads. The colors and especially the "forum members pricing!!!!!!!!!!!! PM ME FOR BEST PRICE!!!!". Why is that necessary? RW Carbon listened, posted up prices and bam, saw a spike of sales without the constant "PM Sent" bs posts. I think the same can be said of Suvneer, he posts his prices right there, and seems to constantly be sold out.

And yeah, I don't like how we can't voice displeasure with a vendor and how everything about the car is lumped up into one big forum. I'm on the G37 forums and yeah, they are owned by the same big company as this one (Internet Brands) yet that site is properly broken down by sections.

All in all, I'm kind of over this forum, I still visit but whereas I used to read almost every thread because it was knowledgable or helpful or gave some entertainment value, these days, I check it once a day and probably end up clicking on one or two threads.

Honestly wish we can figure out a way to fix this.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
I been here since 2001. thats abuot 28 years on the forum. Anyways I PM those companies that sell H&R springs for lowest member price. nga plz. tirerack sells for cheaper shipped.

Only way to fix this is to get rid of the noobs asking same questions over and over
Old 10-02-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 Coupe
These are some of the reasons why I rarely come on this forum anymore. It's filled with repetitive questions and vendor spams of "special pricing". I found way better pricing using vendors from another forum I use to be on. Another thing is some of the vendors here have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to parts. They can't even tell the difference between a replica lip vs authentic.

See you guys around!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Thank you PurpleHeartAMG! +6363
Old 10-02-2015, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Sad that things come to this , can't even make honest comments and observations without getting a stern warning

I guess the admins prefer a forum full of pm me for best price ads and the same questions over and over and over. I haven't been on nearly as much because there isn't much new when I login just more ads and tire questions
Old 10-03-2015, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
Great thread.
Hope the mods / admins have a thorough read, and make some changes in the near future.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C63S
Originally Posted by tpliquid
Only way to fix this is to get rid of the noobs asking same questions over and over
I have to disagree with you and some of the others here, I have been on mbworld for a number of years, but I have owned DIFFERENT AMG vehicles, just this summer getting a C63. So being new to this particular car I was interested in some of the issues, etc with them. I don't think it's right to just say "get rid of the Noobs," why because they don't have the same longevity you do with the car? That's what forums are about, to share and exchange ideas and knowledge about fellow vehicles. If the forum doesn't want repetitive questions on things like headbolts, then as the OP wrote, the mods should really make a stab at reevaluating ALL the current sticky's and build upon that with new ones for all the most common repetitive questions that the forum sees. Consolidate and create a definitive set of sticky threads that really encapsulate all the knowledge this group has shared and learned over the past 7 years.

Just because I used to participate more in the CL65, E55, or ML forum in the past doesn't mean that I should not have the opportunity to seek knowledge and learn more about the C series of cars.

As for the vendors, totally agree, all the vendor specials and stuff should be in the vendor section, not blasted in the specific vehicle forum sections.

Mods have a lot of work to do to fix this
Old 10-03-2015, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by red60R
I have to disagree with you and some of the others here, I have been on mbworld for a number of years, but I have owned DIFFERENT AMG vehicles, just this summer getting a C63. So being new to this particular car I was interested in some of the issues, etc with them. I don't think it's right to just say "get rid of the Noobs," why because they don't have the same longevity you do with the car? That's what forums are about, to share and exchange ideas and knowledge about fellow vehicles. If the forum doesn't want repetitive questions on things like headbolts, then as the OP wrote, the mods should really make a stab at reevaluating ALL the current sticky's and build upon that with new ones for all the most common repetitive questions that the forum sees. Consolidate and create a definitive set of sticky threads that really encapsulate all the knowledge this group has shared and learned over the past 7 years.

Just because I used to participate more in the CL65, E55, or ML forum in the past doesn't mean that I should not have the opportunity to seek knowledge and learn more about the C series of cars.

As for the vendors, totally agree, all the vendor specials and stuff should be in the vendor section, not blasted in the specific vehicle forum sections.

Mods have a lot of work to do to fix this
I think we we say get rid of Noobs its meant as in the N0oBs. The people who come on here and yes, new to the car, but ask super basic questions that there are a ton of threads on when they could just read, or they open up 5 threads for 5 questions.

Just the other day, a new member came on, used 1 thread to introduce himself and ask about 5 or 6 questions. He was welcomed and all his questions answered quickly and efficiently. Essentially, he did it the RIGHT way.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
I think we we say get rid of Noobs its meant as in the N0oBs. The people who come on here and yes, new to the car, but ask super basic questions that there are a ton of threads on when they could just read, or they open up 5 threads for 5 questions.

Just the other day, a new member came on, used 1 thread to introduce himself and ask about 5 or 6 questions. He was welcomed and all his questions answered quickly and efficiently. Essentially, he did it the RIGHT way.
, I even mentioned something about that. When asked properly & intelligently/well laid out, other members love to answer and help out but when you just ask "Give me mods for max hp!, give me part #", it get's pretty damn old.

Thank you PurpleHeartAMG for making this thread. I did happen to see those posts and your questions relating to the 2 companies and it does seem sketchy. I agree with others that things need to change, get cleaned up and admins need to either promote some members to help clean/organize/fix some things or they need to jump on it. I do enjoy these forums and others should have the same joy visiting them.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 C63 AMG (sold), 2006 M3 (sold)
Thx PurpleHeartAMG
Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 462 Likes on 348 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the feedback. There are several issues here including past problems with a specific vendor, frustration with vendor ads and 'housekeeping' within the forums. Posts removal noted in this thread concerned not what they posted but where. For critical or off topic comments we asked they start their own thread outside the vendor sale thread. We all share frustration with vendor ads as the forum was founded with those rules. We are working to reduce their impact by deleting excessive bumps and limit the number of threads per forum. Housekeeping can be a matter of reporting an old sticky and/or adding staff.

Since these types of threads can go way off the original subject over a weekend I am going to lock it for review by the staff. I will open a discussion in the Feedback forum next week asking for your help and suggestions to improve your MBworld experience. Thank you and have a great weekend!

Bob