C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

EIS/Steering lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 Coupe
EIS/Steering lock

Just brought my car to the dealership to get some pilot super sports installed... get in the car after install and it won't start. This is the second time during my 6 month ownership that this has happened... currently driving a loaner c300. Pretty bummed about it but what are you gonna do. Anyway, has anyone that has had this issue had any luck with a more permanent fix? The last time the EIS/Steering lock was replaced was September... this will be literally the 6th time this car has had this issue throughout its life.

One thing I have noticed though, both times this happened during my ownership I had not driven the car for two days prior. I'm wondering if it has to do with battery voltage dropping but this is just speculation.

Any info from anyone who has had experience with this is greatly appreciated.. I've lusted after owning this car since reading about it when it came out but this is really becoming a serious issue. I had big plans for this car (weistec stage 2) but I can't see myself keeping the car if it will continue to have this problem out of warranty. EIS/Steering wheel lock + labor is about 2k out of warranty
Old 12-30-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG
Jesus they've done it 6 times and haven't helped you? I'd be livid. I had the issue last week. Dealer and SA were pretty cool, but MB CS was awful. Simply called for input and they got SUPER defensive and said I was the first person they had with the issue, then started talking over me and wouldn't let me finish a sentence! Someone on eBay offered a potential solution if you send in the part.. May be worth looking in to.

When mine locked, I came out of the gym and it wouldn't start. It was fine getting there. MB roadside was terrible and it took 6.5 hours to get picked up in Columbia SC... I can elaborate more on how ridiculous that was as well.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:19 PM

C63 Coupe
Well, this is the second time within 6 months it happened to me. It happened to the first owner 3 times which I'm assuming is the reason he traded it in. Once it was at that dealership, it had it again then I bought it. I had written a letter to MB customer service after the first incident and I got a personal contact there who said if it happened again to let them know and they would send a "certified AMG tech" to the dealership. They also gave me a sizeable amount of service credit to use towards future service/parts... so as far as that goes I guess they made me whole. I tried to get in touch with that contact today and of course, they're on vacation until Monday
Old 12-30-2015, 07:07 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG
Better than the treatment I got... Luckily my dealer helped me out a bit, but MB definitely did not instill any confidence in me in terms of aptitude or even professionalism.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
usually this is a one time thing for the 08-09 cars and then it doesnt happen again. Not sure why yours has crapped out this much thats crazy and sucks.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:23 PM

C63 Coupe
It absolutely does. Something else is going on to cause this so many times though its obviously not just bad eis/lock every time. I guess we'll see what happens this time with my contact at corporate this week

This is a 2012 by the way.

Last edited by gforc3; 01-01-2016 at 05:33 PM.