Alcantara wheel issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
To be fair, I was actually 'gentle' with it, if you can even go gentle with such a harsh brush. Ahem....you live and learn I guess.
Oh I didn't mean that I thought you were scrubbing like your life depended on it but I agree, even being super gentle with a hard bristle brush will still do damage lol.

Originally Posted by jmueller
I also just leave the toothbrush in the car and fluff the fibers up a little every once and a while, when I think about it, at a long stop light. (I am sure the up-and-down movement of my arm looks ridiculous to other drivers).....
I'm sure others are just thinking.."Man he really loves his car". hehe
Old 01-22-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
I used two fingers covered in a microfiber cloth and I would just move to a clean part of the microfiber when it got dirty. I also used two or three drops of laundry detergent in the bucket of warm water I used. The detergent helps lift the oils away from the alcantera fibers. After I felt like the alcantera was somewhat damp and clean, I dried it using another microfiber cloth and then used a toothbrush to fluff the fibers.

I also just leave the toothbrush in the car and fluff the fibers up a little every once and a while, when I think about it, at a long stop light. (I am sure the up-and-down movement of my arm looks ridiculous to other drivers).....
Perfect. Guess I'm giving this a shot tomorrow!

Thanks JMueller, will take a before and after photo!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Originally Posted by Phil Chow
Perfect. Guess I'm giving this a shot tomorrow!

Thanks JMueller, will take a before and after photo!
Great! Good luck. Surely take a picture so we can see how things turn out.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 C63 black series, 2015 C63 507 coupe, 2012 Porsche Cayman R 4.2L 404hp
Here is a little 'before and after' comparison on my P31 steering wheel. My car has 40k miles of sweaty Florida driving. On the right side of the steering wheel, you can see all 40k miles of the grime built up on it. Using the toothbrush and warm water microfiber method I mentioned, I got the result on the left side of the wheel. Also, a picture of the final result. Regarding the OP, my alcantera never got to the point where it was flaking off. It was just really dirty and compacted down. Now it is grippy and fluffy. It feels great and new.

Awesome result!! I will need to try that on my BS wheel that has polished smooth alcantera. Did you use just water or suede cleaner?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan Update GLE 43 SVU - A200 W177
I used two fingers covered in a microfiber cloth and I would just move to a clean part of the microfiber when it got dirty. I also used two or three drops of laundry detergent in the bucket of warm water I used. The detergent helps lift the oils away from the alcantera fibers. After I felt like the alcantera was somewhat damp and clean, I dried it using another microfiber cloth and then used a toothbrush to fluff the fibers.

Thanks Jmueller. I used your method today. My wheel was just as dirty as yours.
Wow it looks black now not grey.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Alcantara is NOT a fragile, light duty material...it is very, VERY strong and durable and is designed to absorb sweat from racing hands. I have never seen a case where the alcantara inserts were actually worn down, they were simply matted flat. Mueller's wheel looks great and he is right on with the toothbrush method as what he is doing is FLUFFING the fiber back up. We have gone over this before but I'll put it back up here as it applies. A Mr.Clean Magic Eraser, with light pressure, works amazing at removing all of the oil, grit and grime....then the toothbrush can fluff you back out to disco-like prettiness!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by jptaylor
A Mr.Clean Magic Eraser, with light pressure, works amazing at removing all of the oil, grit and grime
Do you still use cleaning solution with this method?
Old 01-25-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by otakki
Do you still use cleaning solution with this method?
I have never used a solution....just a cup with a few ounces of water with about a teaspoon of dishwash soap....
Old 01-25-2016, 10:20 PM

W204 C63
Did it last night to my P30 Wheel, and also on my new CF Wheel w/ Alcantara Grips.

I think it worked better on my P30 Wheel, or maybe my CF Wheel isn't completely dry yet.

Used JMueller's method, just a cloth with some dish washing soap in the water. My Microfibre was quite dirty after it, so, I assume it removed a lot of grime? Though, I'm not sure, does the Alcantara get "Fluffier" and "Softer" again afterwards? On my CF Wheel, I swear that it was quite "Fluffy" before, and like softer to the touch.

Though, I reckon it might not be completely dry yet, since it was sitll ever so slightly damp when I touched it this morning.

Pics!

Both Side Prior to Cleaning

Alcantara wheel issue-j7of67el.jpg

Right Side Cleaned; Still Damp

Alcantara wheel issue-vxehparl.jpg

Both Sides Cleaned; Still Damp

Alcantara wheel issue-ejjfzlml.jpg
Old 01-25-2016, 10:24 PM

Once it dries you can fluff it with a dry towel or a medium bristle brush....it really does make hella difference
Old 01-25-2016, 10:26 PM

W204 C63
Originally Posted by jptaylor
Once it dries you can fluff it with a dry towel or a medium bristle brush....it really does make hella difference
Yeah. I don't have to drive the C63 for the next day or two, so, I'll let hte completely dry out later today, and then fluff it with a brush tomrorow.

I went at it with a toothbrush yesterday too, but I'll wait a bit longer!

Hopefully I didn't ruin the alcantara on my CF Wheel though, I mean, it's just water with a smidgen of soap, I can't imagine that ruining it, lol.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Originally Posted by Phil Chow
Yeah. I don't have to drive the C63 for the next day or two, so, I'll let hte completely dry out later today, and then fluff it with a brush tomrorow.

I went at it with a toothbrush yesterday too, but I'll wait a bit longer!

Hopefully I didn't ruin the alcantara on my CF Wheel though, I mean, it's just water with a smidgen of soap, I can't imagine that ruining it, lol.
You're fine. The fibers will fluff back up once it is dry. It really took a lot of toothbrush strokes (and at a pretty rapid pace) to get it to where I wanted. I was also using a soft bristle toothbrush.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AQUIRED A C63 AMG PPP
wow

I had the same problem and thought that I would need it recovering, but after using a damp micro cloth its like new again sooo happy great tip, the cloth was really dirty