C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 C63 without warranty, risk it or trade it in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C63 AMG
2010 C63 without warranty, risk it or trade it in?

Hey all.

My 2010 C63's (Canadian, P31 performance package, 60000km) warranty runs out this September. I'm torn between keeping it without warranty and risking the headbolts failing, or trading it in for a newer C63.

1. If I keep it, I'd probably swap out the headbolts for Weistec studs. Rotors might be wearing out soon as well, so might have to replace those.

So ~$3000CAD for parts&labor for the studs, and ~$3000-4000CAD for rotors and pads.

2. Trade in for something newer. Preferably would look for a 2014 507 edition, but that will be hard. Still not a fan of the new C-Class exterior , but the interior is beautiful.

With the Canadian dollar doing so bad, I would like to make a smart move financially but still have fun with a 63 . As for my current C63, I absolutely love it. It's been rock solid since I got it. No changes in coolant levels, and engine normal oil loss (~1L/10000km), but it's in the affected range of the faulty head bolts and in my mind it just seems like a ticking time bomb.

Hopefully my fellow 63 owners can help me make a decision The car is stored for winter at the moment, but once summer comes I plan on driving it very hard until September, at least.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2016, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 911 Likes on 641 Posts
E63S | X5
You can replace with MB OEM headbolts, no need to go with studs. That'll save you money right there. Headbolts are like $10-15 each for OEM (updated bolts too).

Also, you don't NEED to put p31 rotors back on your car. If you just drive it on the street you can get standard c63 rotors and will save a TON of money. The standard rotor is still a great performer and slotted, it just isn't two pieces. An OEM two piece is $1833/ea (USD) and a regular rotor is $264 (USD). Those are off ECSTuning which is a great place to shop.

Sounds like you love the car you're in. I'd do the maintenance and keep that car on the road.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:05 PM

'10 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
You can replace with MB OEM headbolts, no need to go with studs. That'll save you money right there. Headbolts are like $10-15 each for OEM (updated bolts too).

Also, you don't NEED to put p31 rotors back on your car. If you just drive it on the street you can get standard c63 rotors and will save a TON of money. The standard rotor is still a great performer and slotted, it just isn't two pieces. An OEM two piece is $1833/ea (USD) and a regular rotor is $264 (USD). Those are off ECSTuning which is a great place to shop.

Sounds like you love the car you're in. I'd do the maintenance and keep that car on the road.
You may have just effortlessly solved all my problems. Totally forgot about the cheaper one-piece rotors. Maybe I'll try to convince my local stealership to pay for some of the head bolt replacement
Old 01-24-2016, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Don't worry about it just drive it, if the bolts fail they fail it's not a certainty that they will.
Also I know many dealers work with customers on the price of the repair since it's a known issue
Old 01-24-2016, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 911 Likes on 641 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Starky_
You may have just effortlessly solved all my problems. Totally forgot about the cheaper one-piece rotors. Maybe I'll try to convince my local stealership to pay for some of the head bolt replacement

You dont NEED to do the headbolts. Yes, people have had issues. However, it really isnt as common as a forum makes it out to be. After all, a lot of people head to forum communities in the first place with complaints or concerns so issues (especially those that can be expensive) tend to be exaggerated some.

I just hate telling PFL owners to not worry at all and then have something bad happen. I'd feel guilty. But at the end of the day, the headbolts aren't as bad as people make them out to be.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Bring it to Edmonton, I'll do the head bolts and brakes for much much less than that. Keep the car, do MB bolts, studs aren't needed for non blower cars. Done a few here now, zero issues. Good for resale too.

You don't need p31 brake rotors (two piece), that is where all the $$ comes from. The one piece rotors are fine, a faction of the price and I guarantee you won't notice a difference.

With 60,000km I can almost guarantee your p31 rotors are fine. I have 93,000km on mine and I still have material left before the wear limit. Dealer or shops just throw these rotors out and sell you new ones instead of just putting new pads on, which is all that is needed. The wear limit is about 3mm and with 60,000km you probably have 1mm of wear. The numbers are stamped on the rotor, just need to measure with a calliper to see where your at.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Last edited by Merc63; 01-24-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63
Bring it to Edmonton, I'll do the head bolts and brakes for much much less than that. Keep the car, do MB bolts, studs aren't needed for non blower cars. Done a few here now, zero issues. Good for resale too.

You don't need p31 brake rotors (two piece), that is where all the $$ comes from. The one piece rotors are fine, a faction of the price and I guarantee you won't notice a difference.

With 60,000km I can almost guarantee your p31 rotors are fine. I have 93,000km on mine and I still have material left before the wear limit. Dealer or shops just throw these rotors out and sell you new ones instead of just putting new pads on, which is all that is needed. The wear limit is about 3mm and with 60,000km you probably have 1mm of wear. The numbers are stamped on the rotor, just need to measure with a calliper to see where your at.

Can you come to California to do my headbolts..?
Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Anything is possible but I doubt it would be economical.

Roadtalon might be able to help you out.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:29 AM

'10 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63

Sweet, I might have to take you up on that offer. You might be hearing from me later this year

Yeah I think they are fine too, I haven't gotten the chance to measuring them since I've been away for a couple months. Lone Star in Calgary said they HAVE to replace rotors when replacing pads (something to do with liability), I don't know if I was just speaking with an idiot or that's their actual policy. If it is the case, that's quite bull****!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,601 Likes on 943 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
You'd lose way more cheese on a trade than you would "fixing" what my not even be broken...
Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
You'd lose way more cheese on a trade than you would "fixing" what my not even be broken...
Agreed!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Good advices above. I'll just add since you would like to remain in the NA community a 507 is not a bad idea either particularly if you find a good deal.
Coupe or sedan?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Starky_
Sweet, I might have to take you up on that offer. You might be hearing from me later this year

Yeah I think they are fine too, I haven't gotten the chance to measuring them since I've been away for a couple months. Lone Star in Calgary said they HAVE to replace rotors when replacing pads (something to do with liability), I don't know if I was just speaking with an idiot or that's their actual policy. If it is the case, that's quite bull****!
Ya the dealers won't machine rotors they just replace them. They are worried your new pads will last longer than the rotor wear limit. Give me a shout when your ready. We have done 5 cars like this now.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:42 AM

W204 C63
I have 105k hard miles, still strong

Im at 105k mi and have taken my C63 across the country with 90k on the odometer. These engines are bullet proof. Run Lucas injector cleaner, white bottle, keep up with your fluid changes and I think you will be happy.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG

You dont NEED to do the headbolts. Yes, people have had issues. However, it really isnt as common as a forum makes it out to be. After all, a lot of people head to forum communities in the first place with complaints or concerns so issues (especially those that can be expensive) tend to be exaggerated some.

I just hate telling PFL owners to not worry at all and then have something bad happen. I'd feel guilty. But at the end of the day, the headbolts aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

this is true, ive never met anyone in person who had a headbolt problems and ive met enough
Old 01-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C63S AMG
I have an '09 with 75k that I have had minimal issues with. In my opinion, the headbolt issue is not as widespread as the forums make it look. Especially if you don't plan on tuning it. I would wager that a bunch of the issues came from engines running higher hp.