C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded axles - anyone have a spare set?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by wawy
BLKROKT -- So you didn’t even have DRs on at the time? I would think the PSS’s would have had enough slip and prevented this from happening. Do you usually use DRs? Mthis -- I would think launch control would be more forgiving to the drivetrain etc since everything happens in a more controlled fashion, but who knows…
Nope just the PSSs. I ran Nitto DRs on my old 18's one trip to the track two summers ago when I first got the car, but didn't like how they hooked and haven't used them since. I can usually get 1.7x 60' times with the PSS given a good heating up, so I haven't felt the need to try the DRs again or full-on slicks.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by Merc63
I have a torque converter, could be the MCT tranny is slamming the clutches closed hard and shocking the driveline.

Mine dead hooks and takes off, but the TC absorbs the initial bang and the drag tires have give in the sidewalls.
This is actually a good point Merc. I snapped the axle the first trip back to the track after the Weistec VB/TCU/pan upgrade. I literally picked up my car and drove it straight to Atco. The shifts are definitely hitting harder, and the car seems to be transferring more torque to the rear wheels. Hard to explain, but it's definitely much easier to break the rears loose - feels snappier. Maybe just unlucky, but second pass on the new setup and boom. Maybe it was already weakened or something, but I don't believe in coincidences.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 04-02-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Probably slamming that clutch closed hard now. Drag tires with some sidewall will help give the driveline some play. Street tires, especially a PSS has a very tough sidewall. All that combined with a very good vht prep = snapped axle.