C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Very odd rattle

Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Very odd rattle

So I have had a slight plasticky rattle noise coming from the passenger side footwell which I believe is due to my fender liner on that side being loose as it does not sit flush against the fender right above the screw that holds it in so when I tap on it I can sort of hear the noise it is making. The noise is also speed dependent which makes me believe that is the culprit.

The issue this morning is now I am getting the same sound but even louder from the driver side and it sounds like it is coming from either the footwell or the dash. Sounds like something bouncing around or moving around but it happens only at speeds over 55mph. It is incredibly annoying and only recently started yesterday. I checked the fender liner and it sits very flush but up at around 2-3 oclock the liner can be tapped and it can make noise but I think it was always like that so I dont know why this noise began. Any ideas? I cannot imagine it being a pebble or rock stuck in the plastic liners because I would hear it on rough roads and I do not hear this at all at speeds under 55mph.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated as I would rather not have to go to my MB dealer to have this looked at.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Could it possibly be inside of the door panel, a wire hitting maybe?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Are you sure it's not the dash? I have a rattle in that area, and when I gently press down on the top of the dash (close to the metal mesh area adjacent to the windshield), it stops.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:27 AM

So I took the belly pans off and looked around found nothing except a piece of hard plastic debris I figured that mustve been the sound... Nope. Put everything back nice and snug. Still getting the sound. I cannot pinpoint where it is though. Sounds like it could be in the center dash vents but then it sounds like its coming from the firewall/wiper cowl area. It almost sounds like a loose clip or thin metal/plastic sound that something would make flapping in wind. The strange thing is that the sound becomes noticeable at 65mph+ I cannot figure it out. I secured a bunch of wires that may be loose. I checked over the radar detector head and laser shifter wires and still cannot find anything. Its literally making me crazy cause its not like only I hear it. Passengers can hear it and cannot pinpoint it either. It just started recently and the only thing I did was have a meticulous guy redo my wiring and placement of my laser shifters and detector head which is why that was the first thing I went to look at.

My passenger side may have a broken clip in the door cause I can hear something in there sometimes but I cant figure this noise out.

Do things get caught in fender liner? Is it easy to remove that to check?

Any ideas on what could be speed dependant?
Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by ENVē
So I took the belly pans off and looked around found nothing except a piece of hard plastic debris I figured that mustve been the sound... Nope. Put everything back nice and snug. Still getting the sound. I cannot pinpoint where it is though. Sounds like it could be in the center dash vents but then it sounds like its coming from the firewall/wiper cowl area. It almost sounds like a loose clip or thin metal/plastic sound that something would make flapping in wind. The strange thing is that the sound becomes noticeable at 65mph+ I cannot figure it out. I secured a bunch of wires that may be loose. I checked over the radar detector head and laser shifter wires and still cannot find anything. Its literally making me crazy cause its not like only I hear it. Passengers can hear it and cannot pinpoint it either. It just started recently and the only thing I did was have a meticulous guy redo my wiring and placement of my laser shifters and detector head which is why that was the first thing I went to look at.

My passenger side may have a broken clip in the door cause I can hear something in there sometimes but I cant figure this noise out.

Do things get caught in fender liner? Is it easy to remove that to check?

Any ideas on what could be speed dependant?
Maybe it's the same noise mine makes at 35mph. Sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by HBC350
Maybe it's the same noise mine makes at 35mph. Sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle.
Yes similar but it's weird that is sounds like its from footwell or center console.

Have you taken yours into Benz to be checked out?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Yes similar but it's weird that is sounds like its from footwell or center console.

Have you taken yours into Benz to be checked out?
Yes, but it never does it for them. 75% of the time for me. 0% for them.

Mine also sounds like it is coming from underneath the passenger seat.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 AMG 507 Coupe
Mine has the same noise, coming from inside the cabin. Driver side sounds like it is coming from the left side where the center speakers are. I am taking this weekend to go over mine.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ar0c
Mine has the same noise, coming from inside the cabin. Driver side sounds like it is coming from the left side where the center speakers are. I am taking this weekend to go over mine.

Please post in here what the findings from your dealer are.

I went through most of my car ziptying any wires that looked loose and foaming under the grille to minimize movement looking at the underbelly pans etc. I still have the sounds. I am now wondering if, because my brake pads are low, if they are moving around in the caliper causing the sound. I know when I drive my car VERY hard when I come to the first few slow moving stops I hear the pads snap into place when I push the brake, like they knock into place as if they were loose from the hard heat and driving. So I think maybe the pads are getting low and are loose in there. Plus my brake squeal in traffic and stop and go short trips is loud.

Im wondering if I just need to flush the fluid or if I should just change pads. The fluid is very new considering I had 4 brand new calipers put on the car by MB less then 10k miles ago.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C63
So I have had a slight plasticky rattle noise coming from the passenger side footwell which I believe is due to my fender liner on that side being loose as it does not sit flush against the fender right above the screw that holds it in so when I tap on it I can sort of hear the noise it is making. The noise is also speed dependent which makes me believe that is the culprit.

The issue this morning is now I am getting the same sound but even louder from the driver side and it sounds like it is coming from either the footwell or the dash. Sounds like something bouncing around or moving around but it happens only at speeds over 55mph. It is incredibly annoying and only recently started yesterday. I checked the fender liner and it sits very flush but up at around 2-3 oclock the liner can be tapped and it can make noise but I think it was always like that so I dont know why this noise began. Any ideas? I cannot imagine it being a pebble or rock stuck in the plastic liners because I would hear it on rough roads and I do not hear this at all at speeds under 55mph.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated as I would rather not have to go to my MB dealer to have this looked at.
Not sure if this issue was ever solved. Has anyone checked their “parking shoes?” Peep video: