C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Tech help! Camber adjustment C63 W204 (rear rubbing issue)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 MB c63 AMG
Tech help! Camber adjustment C63 W204 (rear rubbing issue)

Hey guys,

I have a '13 C63 AMG lowered on KW V3's DDC coilovers. I have upgraded my rear wheels from the multispokes OEM 19's (spec:19x9 ET54 w/ 255/30/19 conti tires) to 19's ZE40's (spec: 19x9.5 ET49 w/ 265/35/19 R888 tires).
I rub pretty bad on the rear right side whenever I turn left in normal driving conditions. I'm really looking to deal with this annoying issue because I purchased these wheels and tires for track purposes.
I looked into quality adjustable camber arms or bushings info on the forum, and there doesn't seem to have many options available. I found stuff on K-Mac kits (pricey) and SPC (I contacted SPC and they were not sure the kit was available for AMG's, they are going to get back to me on Tuesday).

Now, I know the 35 profile doesn't help, and was frustrated since I ordered 265/30 but realized they shipped me the wrong size after rubbing while test driving the car...

However, I don't rub on the rear left side while turning right.

Here are my rear values after alignment was done:

Camber: -2.5 left / -2.1 right (optimal from alignment software is between -2.3 and -1.5 and recommended is -1.9)

With an adjustable camber option, I could set it up to -2.5 instead of -2.1 and that would MAYBE solve the problem. However, my question would then become if that is too much negative camber, resulting in excessive unequal tire wear?

Have any of you guys experience with camber adjustement on this platform? What would you guys advise?

Thank you so much for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Tech help! Camber adjustment C63 W204 (rear rubbing issue)-2016-05-26-19.21.52.jpg   Tech help! Camber adjustment C63 W204 (rear rubbing issue)-2016-05-26-19.22.05.jpg  
Old 05-29-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by L.C.A.D.
Hey guys,

I have a '13 C63 AMG lowered on KW V3's DDC coilovers. I have upgraded my rear wheels from the multispokes OEM 19's (spec:19x9 ET54 w/ 255/30/19 conti tires) to 19's ZE40's (spec: 19x9.5 ET49 w/ 265/35/19 R888 tires).
I rub pretty bad on the rear right side whenever I turn left in normal driving conditions. I'm really looking to deal with this annoying issue because I purchased these wheels and tires for track purposes.
I looked into quality adjustable camber arms or bushings info on the forum, and there doesn't seem to have many options available. I found stuff on K-Mac kits (pricey) and SPC (I contacted SPC and they were not sure the kit was available for AMG's, they are going to get back to me on Tuesday).

Now, I know the 35 profile doesn't help, and was frustrated since I ordered 265/30 but realized they shipped me the wrong size after rubbing while test driving the car...

However, I don't rub on the rear left side while turning right.

Here are my rear values after alignment was done:

Camber: -2.5 left / -2.1 right (optimal from alignment software is between -2.3 and -1.5 and recommended is -1.9)

With an adjustable camber option, I could set it up to -2.5 instead of -2.1 and that would MAYBE solve the problem. However, my question would then become if that is too much negative camber, resulting in excessive unequal tire wear?

Have any of you guys experience with camber adjustement on this platform? What would you guys advise?

Thank you so much for your help!
If you're tracking your car you need to run the proper camber for the track and tires not to prevent rubbing. Raise your car up or roll and pull your fenders to stop the rubbing.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
W204 C63 saloon
The only way around this is to either roll/pull fenders or order tires with narrower side wall (ie not bulging) or mill the inside of the left rear wheel by 2-3mm to make it ET 51-52.

Reason is becoz of the way Mercedes subframe is set up. U will find that looking from the rear, your left side rear (ie Drivers side) stick out more than the right side, despite similar camber, tires and ET on both wheels.

I had similar issues with mine (in UK) when I bought ET40 wheels on the rear, the right side (drivers side) stick out more and was rubbing as mine was lowered on H&R springs.
I had to have the rear wheel milled by 3-4mm to solve this.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
You have 4 options:
1. KMac - probably won't fix your problem, and you don't need any more camber in back
2. raise the height of the car - does it have to be that low
3. roll fenders - you can get about 10-15mm more clearance
4. new tires - obvious

Honestly, it doesn't help that you ordered wheels with totally wrong offsets - I wouldn't be surprised if you had an inch of clearance to the suspension on the inside. I mean, it could be the angle, but look at how far your rims are sticking out past the fender. I have 10" wide rims in back with 285/30 Dunlop r-comps (which run more like a 295) and it sits totally flush and I just rolled/pulled the fenders a bit and no problemo.

Good luck.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 05-29-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:19 AM

'13 MB c63 AMG
Thank you guys for your inputs!
I'll start by looking into how much more room I can get with rolling the fenders.

As for camber adjustment, I imagine values differ from wheels, tires and tracks, right? Are there any other options than K-Macs? How much negative camber can you have?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
There is a metal tab in the fastening system between the bumper and quarter panel/fender joint. Looks like you are rubbing on it. You might be able to remove the inner fender liner and grind the metal tab down a little. That might give you some relief from the worst of the rubbing if not correct it all together.

KMAC's camber bushings will allow you to set your camber so that it is equal side to side and maybe lower the more negative side to within spec. I don't think you should increase your camber values past the -2.5*, you already have, to solve your rubbing issues. I think you are already maxed out on your rear cambers for street driving. You will likely just increase tire wear and maybe cause some handling issues.

Last edited by Mort; 05-30-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
You have 35 profile tires out back. That will be 1 main reason for your rubbing. Drop down to a 265/30/19 and then check back with us.

You can get adjustable camber arms for the W204. But before you play with any more negative camber, swap your tires to the correct size.

You rub on the passenger rear because that's where the battery is. Another 40-50 LBS of dead weight right over your wheel.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
As was said before, by lowering you will get higher negative camber automatically. When I installed my Clubsport coilovers and went really low, I bought KMacs to LOWER my camber. Even on track, you do not really need more than 2-2.5 degrees in the rear (around 3.5 in the front). Your rims outer edge is 11 mm further out than stock and the 35 cross section does not help.
Milling a part of the inner section of the rim off is dangerous, as the amount of metal where the lugnuts hold the rim to the knuckle, gets thinner. Not a good idea at all, especially if you consider tracking the car.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:20 AM

'13 MB c63 AMG
Originally Posted by sirius9
The only way around this is to either roll/pull fenders or order tires with narrower side wall (ie not bulging) or mill the inside of the left rear wheel by 2-3mm to make it ET 51-52.

Reason is becoz of the way Mercedes subframe is set up. U will find that looking from the rear, your left side rear (ie Drivers side) stick out more than the right side, despite similar camber, tires and ET on both wheels.

I had similar issues with mine (in UK) when I bought ET40 wheels on the rear, the right side (drivers side) stick out more and was rubbing as mine was lowered on H&R springs.
I had to have the rear wheel milled by 3-4mm to solve this.

Hope this helps.
Yeah I am considering this option as well, just unsure how risky it is and how the wheel can sustain it?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 AM

'13 MB c63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mort
There is a metal tab in the fastening system between the bumper and quarter panel/fender joint. Looks like you are rubbing on it. You might be able to remove the inner fender liner and grind the metal tab down a little. That might give you some relief from the worst of the rubbing if not correct it all together.

KMAC's camber bushings will allow you to set your camber so that it is equal side to side and maybe lower the more negative side to within spec. I don't think you should increase your camber values past the -2.5*, you already have, to solve your rubbing issues. I think you are already maxed out on your rear cambers for street driving. You will likely just increase tire wear and maybe cause some handling issues.
Thanks for your input. I agree more negative camber wouldn't be good, so K-Mac will likely won't be my first option at this point. Maybe later to even both sides.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:28 AM

'13 MB c63 AMG
Originally Posted by Kriston
You have 35 profile tires out back. That will be 1 main reason for your rubbing. Drop down to a 265/30/19 and then check back with us.

You can get adjustable camber arms for the W204. But before you play with any more negative camber, swap your tires to the correct size.

You rub on the passenger rear because that's where the battery is. Another 40-50 LBS of dead weight right over your wheel.
Thanks. Good point regarding the battery on the rear passenger side. I know the 35 profile is an issue, I wonder how much difference the 30 profile would make though. It's frustrating I received the wrong tires in the first place, and anyway I should have checked but was too eager I guess.
I'll see how much space I can get with rolling the fenders and may buy or get my tires replaced with a 30 profile.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:33 AM

'13 MB c63 AMG
Originally Posted by Wobble64
As was said before, by lowering you will get higher negative camber automatically. When I installed my Clubsport coilovers and went really low, I bought KMacs to LOWER my camber. Even on track, you do not really need more than 2-2.5 degrees in the rear (around 3.5 in the front). Your rims outer edge is 11 mm further out than stock and the 35 cross section does not help.
Milling a part of the inner section of the rim off is dangerous, as the amount of metal where the lugnuts hold the rim to the knuckle, gets thinner. Not a good idea at all, especially if you consider tracking the car.
Thanks for your input. I agree with you milling the wheel is also not my favorite option, but anything that will help I will consider for now.
It seems for some reason rear camber is setup differently from the start by Mercedes on this car, lowering just makes it worse. Like I said, I will see how rolling the fenders help, and will look into having my tires replaced or either purchase a 30 tire profile. This situation sucks though.
BTW, the Clubsport must be awesome at the track, but how's your ride on the streets?