C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it me or....lot of new members with performance issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:28 AM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by VR38DETT
Thank you. Mine is 2 door with p31. Besides some on and off in cabin rattles, I am very pleased with it.
I think there will always be some interior rattles on a performance car which has been driven hard. Doesn't bother me at all.
Fit an aftermarket exhaust and headers and you won't hear the rattles.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe
I think I will need aftermarket exhaust for sure later. The sound deadening is done well, also killed the exhaust noise when Windows shut. I fold the backseats down and drive Windows down in 100 degrees Texas day like a retard...
Old 07-09-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by VR38DETT
I think I will need aftermarket exhaust for sure later. The sound deadening is done well, also killed the exhaust noise when Windows shut. I fold the backseats down and drive Windows down in 100 degrees Texas day like a retard...
I lowered the rear seats for the first time the other day, makes a big difference. Shows how well insulated the car is. I also drive with the windows down to hear the noise.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe
That makes two of us...It's hot and humid most part of the country right now. I just wish you don't have to deal with 100 degree air blown into the car like I do...i think Comfort mode sounds great when warned up, I particularly like the low rumble. It's nice to switch up and relax after pulling hard.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'15 AMG GLA45
Originally Posted by 604 C63
I think you're right. For all the reasons you mention PLUS Audi has never given a fig about designing a car with service in mind. A 3 hr job on most cars is a 5 hr job on an Audi. I found that over and over and over again.
It's never something cheap or easy either. I've been in the dreaded "service mode" 3 times since I've owned the car. Fun car but not for the feint of heart...

Old 07-10-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
I think you're right. For all the reasons you mention PLUS Audi has never given a fig about designing a car with service in mind. A 3 hr job on most cars is a 5 hr job on an Audi. I found that over and over and over again.
I had the complete opposite experience with my B8 S4. Mine seemed to be damn bulletproof after a couple initial quirks in the first month of ownership. After that I had 4+ years of carefree times with that thing and I modded it to the limits I could. That supercharged V6 manual was a damn good car. I like the C63 better though, if it were a manual I would be even happier.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by ENV²
I had the complete opposite experience with my B8 S4. Mine seemed to be damn bulletproof after a couple initial quirks in the first month of ownership. After that I had 4+ years of carefree times with that thing and I modded it to the limits I could. That supercharged V6 manual was a damn good car. I like the C63 better though, if it were a manual I would be even happier.
I wasn't saying anything about reliability. Im just saying that a lot of their design isn't service friendly and the time to do jobs is much higher than in some other cars. And of course, shop time equals money.

Lets put it this way....never once heard "you're lucky this is an Audi" but many times heard "this job takes quite a while on an Audi" or "this job takes longer on Audis".
Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
I wasn't saying anything about reliability. Im just saying that a lot of their design isn't service friendly and the time to do jobs is much higher than in some other cars. And of course, shop time equals money.

Lets put it this way....never once heard "you're lucky this is an Audi" but many times heard "this job takes quite a while on an Audi" or "this job takes longer on Audis".

Excellent point. I have some friends with B7 S4s and everything seems to be a ***** on those. I had 2 B6 a4s I flipped for profit and did all work on myself.... Awful.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC 63
Great thread, especially that 1st Jalopnik post. It's a never ending cycle with performance cars. I remember having a friend that chose to stay at his parents place and get a GTR back in 2009 and pay for that car as his rent. But hey, who am I to judge?

Ok, so I'm new here but always been a car enthusiast. I picked up a '12 C63 about a month ago and have gotten right to work. Thankfully service B was just done so most immediate maintenance items are squared away. She's also a CPO so I'm covered for a good while.

I check this forum nearly everyday for deals on parts and most have been great except this one member who sold some me some ADV.1 wheels. They needed a ton of extra work to get safe, but that's the risk you buy when buying used, even if you ask up front smh.

I plan to post pics of my whip once she's done getting her makeover.

Compared to my E92 M3, which was a great all around car, this car is just a straight bully. I had a lot of work done to my M3 and I'd say the main differences I'm noting are the obvious, the DCT is faster shifting than our PFL and FL trannys. I had the GTS tune so it shifted lightning quick and seamless, but I still believe the PDK is superior to all. However, when it comes to speed and sound, this thing just hauls MF ***.

Anyways, I feel myself going on a tangent, so I'll check back with my own intro thread and pics.

Oh and here's my old M...
Attached Thumbnails is it me or....lot of new members with performance issues?-fullsizerender.jpg   is it me or....lot of new members with performance issues?-img_2045.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by ENV²
Excellent point. I have some friends with B7 S4s and everything seems to be a ***** on those. I had 2 B6 a4s I flipped for profit and did all work on myself.... Awful.
In terms or reliability and long-term ownership cost (i.e. number or problems and associated cost of fixing the same), the B7 S4s were the biggest pieces of excrement ever bestowed upon civilization in the form of a car. The RS4 wasn't *much* better either (although it was a considerably faster and thus fun car to drive). I'd rather own and maintain a Maserati Biturbo than another B7 S4.

Sorry for the rant and thread hijack... I guess that pic struck a nerve. The B8 S4s (and later S5s) with the s/c V6s are infinitely more reliable althogh still a PITA to work on.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'15 AMG GLA45
Originally Posted by Diabolis
...Sorry for the rant and thread hijack... I guess that pic struck a nerve. The B8 S4s (and later S5s) with the s/c V6s are infinitely more reliable althogh still a PITA to work on.
I can relate, considering that just getting the front end off and the car into "service mode" costs about $800 in labor at an independent shop. That particular picture of the car in service mode was so we could remove a bolt that backed out of the electric fan and magically fell right into the soft rubber inside the crank pulley. It was a one-in-a-million thing according to the mechanic but it costs me almost $1500 in parts and labor when it was all said and done. It's a mystery to me why I still love this car so much...

Old 07-11-2016, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
UGH.