C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

New Member: My first AMG :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 847 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
^ If you get H&R springs it will soften the ride while maintaining performance. Not a very expensive thing to do but it will lower the car obviously.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Amg63-
Thanks for the awesome comparison review.

Just a question regarding the DD comfort. Are you saying m3 is less harsh because it was on kW v3 or are you comparing suspensions stock to stock?

My only complaint with my 13 p31 is that it's too harsh on the bumps for DD otherwise it's pretty much a perfect sedan IMO.
What tires are you on?

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
^ If you get H&R springs it will soften the ride while maintaining performance. Not a very expensive thing to do but it will lower the car obviously.
P31 does not have uprated suspension like a P30. In other words, HR springs will most likely make his ride a bit stiffer if anything.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
What tires are you on?

P31 does not have uprated suspension like a P30. In other words, HR springs will most likely make his ride a bit stiffer if anything.
It's different in Canada. Here we get the APX package. Do a quick search on that and you will see that here they are using stiffer springs than the non p31 model. I think it's possibly p30 springs combined with 2012+ struts. Not exactly sure how the sport suspension setup is done here, never figured that out exactly.

If we can find out exactly what the APX pkg is doing with the suspension then he could be right about H&R springs giving a softer ride than stock setup.

Also, I'm running Michelin PSS on stock sizes at 40-42 psi cold. Rides very harsh.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
It's different in Canada. Here we get the APX package. Do a quick search on that and you will see that here they are using stiffer springs than the non p31 model. I think it's possibly p30 springs combined with 2012+ struts. Not exactly sure how the sport suspension setup is done here, never figured that out exactly.

If we can find out exactly what the APX pkg is doing with the suspension then he could be right about H&R springs giving a softer ride than stock setup.

Also, I'm running Michelin PSS on stock sizes at 40-42 psi cold. Rides very harsh.
Well I'll be damned. You're right.

Learn something new everyday.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Well I'll be damned. You're right.

Learn something new everyday.
Yup, I would of been a lot happier with the p31 US pkg because that one would have given us the softer springs, just sacrificing a bit of handling for that which would be fine.

Now I'm still curious what can be done. I don't know if APX pkg is only stiffer on springs or also has the struts tuned for that as well.

Looking to see how to soften the ride up
Old 08-23-2016, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
snip

Looking to see how to soften the ride up
Anddddd we are back at H&R springs haha. See AMG3.2

60% of the time I know what I am talking about 100% of the time on an off day. Or something. Maybe?

Oh I don't know.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC 63
Thanks for the awesome comparison review.

Just a question regarding the DD comfort. Are you saying m3 is less harsh because it was on kW v3 or are you comparing suspensions stock to stock?

My only complaint with my 13 p31 is that it's too harsh on the bumps for DD otherwise it's pretty much a perfect sedan IMO.
You welcome and good catch, should have mentioned stock for stock, the M3 was a smoother, less harsh ride, but I had EDC (Electronic Dampening Control) so that had a few different ride settings to help make a better ride from the factory.

Well, this is a no brainer option for me!
Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Anddddd we are back at H&R springs haha. See AMG3.2

60% of the time I know what I am talking about 100% of the time on an off day. Or something. Maybe?

Oh I don't know.
Ok but now there's another issue

Stock this car is already sitting low enough that sometimes I have issues getting around certain places.

So this means I can only soften the ride at the cost of making it lower? No way to keep it at stock height?

Wouldn't putting those springs on stock struts also wear them faster as the stock struts are not tuned to go with the H&R?

Also, I always thought the lower the car the more stiff it needs to be to pull that off...

Any other ideas?

Last edited by Amg63-; 08-23-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:03 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
welcome to the AMG family. the M156 is one of the greatest if not the greatest N/A V8's on the planet.

every dollar spent on fuel will be worth it i assure you.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
welcome aboard, greetings from the great white north!!
Old 08-23-2016, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Ok but now there's another issue

Stock this car is already sitting low enough that sometimes I have issues getting around certain places.

So this means I can only soften the ride at the cost of making it lower? No way to keep it at stock height?

Any other ideas?
Correct.

The only other thing you could do is keep the car at stock height and go with a softer non-P30, non APX, spring. This'll keep the car at stock height but provide a softer ride.

Additionally, you could install some super soft all season tires to comfy up the ride.

All of this is sacrilege on a C63, but it's your ride!

Wouldn't putting those springs on stock struts also wear them faster as the stock struts are not tuned to go with the H&R?
Yes, this is true. I'm already noticing fatigue on my rear OE struts after about 7k miles.

The car's rear end bounces a lot more then I would like when going over dips on the freeway.

A coilover may be the route to go.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ People run H&R springs for 10's of thousands of miles no problem.

AMG63- You could try to score a stateside non-pp suspension. That or coilovers that will allow you to adjust ride height and comfort. Or sit on a pillow?
Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
^ People run H&R springs for 10's of thousands of miles no problem.

AMG63- You could try to score a stateside non-pp suspension. That or coilovers that will allow you to adjust ride height and comfort. Or sit on a pillow?
Oh, I'm sure they do.

They're really isn't a severe problem with them, per se. They aren't going to blow up or quit working, but to say that an OE strut that's meant to operate at longer range of motion, which now suddenly cannot do that, is going to last 10's of thousands of miles without degrading would simply be a false statement.

They'll start to feel a bit looser and sloppier over time, which can be hard to notice over 10k miles.

It also depends how much you've lowered your car with the springs. I installed 5mm spring pads which looked perfect to me, but some install 13mm some install 17mm which would yield in additional travel and thus slowing down the rate of wear.

Just noting what I have noticed. I'm sure others might have different experiences, but it's pretty common for OE dampers to degrade when they're paired with lowering springs. I just didn't think it would happen this quickly.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Oh, I'm sure they do.

They're really isn't a severe problem with them, per se. They aren't going to blow up or quit working, but to say that an OE strut that's meant to operate at longer range of motion, which now suddenly cannot do that, is going to last 10's of thousands of miles without degrading would simply be a false statement.

They'll start to feel a bit looser and sloppier over time, which can be hard to notice over 10k miles.

It also depends how much you've lowered your car with the springs. I installed 5mm spring pads which looked perfect to me, but some install 13mm some install 17mm which would yield in additional travel and thus slowing down the rate of wear.

Just noting what I have noticed. I'm sure others might have different experiences, but it's pretty common for OE dampers to degrade when they're paired with lowering springs. I just didn't think it would happen this quickly.
I also wonder how much of an improvement in ride quality there is between an APX facelift c63 vs the p31 pkg without PP suspension.

For all I know going through all the trouble to replace my suspension with that may only improve ride quality by 10%. Not sure if it's worth it.

If only someone who drove both can give us a review

*sigh*
Old 08-27-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by BEETS
What's up man! Wow, I looked over your build thread and what a monster! I've done most of what you've done minus the 625 kit. Love your plates "SUPGRL" haha. I ordered the legacy plate "GOODMPG" but it's taking forever here in cali.

So, I've got to ask what I'm sure most people wanna know, how is the power so far compared to your SC M3 and what are your plans for this C63?
thanks broskis! Between the C63 and M3 it's a completely different league, stock the M3 is slow and only feels fast in the high RPM range, whereas the C63 is fast as **** anywhere but it runs out of breath eventually. Whereas the supercharged M3 holy mother of god it just pulls and pulls and when shift at 8400 it drops the car right in the powerband of the blower. The only problem is you can only enjoy the car when the roads are empty are you're in a rural area. The car becomes a highway/runway car, which is a shame because you can never enjoy its full potential on the street.

Funny you asked this I was just asking him the same question.

I'm also curious to hear how does the facelift MCT c63 compare in speed with the older 09 with both on same tune/mods?
So far the biggest difference is the transmission the 08-11 tranny was the downfall of the C63 and why i got rid of mine, so far with the MCT it's almost as quick as my DCT between gear shifts which i'm all about!