C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Painting My Diffuser (And other questions)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Painting My Diffuser (And other questions)

Hey guys,

So recently I changed out a fading CF spoiler for a gloss black one and I am having the chrome window trims, door handles, and trunk strip re-wrapped from matte black to gloss black. I also will be debading the C63/AMG on the trunk or putting some gloss black ones I have on as well as putting the trunk star in gloss black.

Overall, I am liking the gloss black look as it matches the front lip, the door pillars, and the antenna on top.

So here are the questions:
1) How do I paint the rear diffuser? I would want to do this myself. As it has a slight texture on it, can I just spray it gloss black and clear it?

1a) Sub question. Would it be easy enough to do it on the car (obviously with a proper masking of everything around) or easier to take it off and do it there.
1aa) Sub-sub question. Removing the diffuser. On the FL cars, if I am not mistaken its just some screws, tabs in the middle, and then the two corners are held in with rivets. I am guessing I need to drill the rivets out correct? And then replace with a nut and bolt?

2) I know BLK RKT had some parts which would have completed the look of the car (black FL mirrors and black DRL surrounds). Anyone have any for sale?

3) I know this has been asked a million times, but if all goes well I am going to do the exhaust tips in gloss black. Would you guys recommend getting them powdercoated or will a High Temp spray myself get the job done?

4) Same questions as above but pertaining to the grill since that would be the last part needed. (its matte plastidip right now).

Thanks guys.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
if you spray it on the car. but coverage may be hard since you will need to spray upside down in some areas. easier to paint if the part is off the car and you can have some light to see what you are painting.
it will have textured look after you spray it black. if you want smooth then you will need to sand down the diffuser smooth then paint it. then sand and polish. no polish needed if you leave it textured.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Interested to know this as well.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
1) How do I paint the rear diffuser? I would want to do this myself. As it has a slight texture on it, can I just spray it gloss black and clear it?
Probably ok to do this, but I would do it in a dust-free environment as much as possible because the gloss is going to show everything. I'm not convinced that it will look or wear right, but that's not for me to decide.

1a) Sub question. Would it be easy enough to do it on the car (obviously with a proper masking of everything around) or easier to take it off and do it there.
Take it off. It's easy, and not worth the risk of accidental overspray. Plus you'll be able to get all the edges better. Plus, being on the car, and using gloss, you don't want paint pooling on the edges or dripping. Just take it off, you'll be able to do a much better job.

One thing to consider though, is that you're painting a flexible piece, that will have to flex a bit to fit back onto the car. Choose your paint carefully, because the last thing you want is to do an amazing job and then crack the paint when putting it back on the car. I think Plastidip makes a gloss black, or a gloss clear for stuff like this?

1aa) Sub-sub question. Removing the diffuser. On the FL cars, if I am not mistaken its just some screws, tabs in the middle, and then the two corners are held in with rivets. I am guessing I need to drill the rivets out correct? And then replace with a nut and bolt?
Easy. Just as you said, 2 screws and 2 rivets. The stock diffuser really clips firmly into the bumper, so you should be cognizant of this when refitting that you'll have to put pressure on the edges you just painted. I would let the thing dry for a week before reinstalling.

4) Same questions as above but pertaining to the grill since that would be the last part needed. (its matte plastidip right now).
Take the grille off the car. Smaller part, gloss spray and clear will probably look great. Use light coats.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Thats exactly the route I'm going...I'd rather have a perfectly fitting OEM diffuser painted matte/gloss black than a crap fitting CF China knock off diffuser that fades and cracks easily...

But have you ever painted that shiny plastic? I wouldn't sand it because you will get irregular surface patterns and it would like terrible. Perhaps wash it well with acetone, prime, paint several coats in between ample dry time...
Old 09-03-2016, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
See a good paint/body person.

Perhaps lay a layer of fiberglass over the plastic, then sand, prep the FG.

I've not had luck painting plastic with any long term success.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I think Plastidip makes a gloss black, or a gloss clear for stuff like this?
Yep, used it on mine VVV

Gloss clear coat over their matte finish. I have pics in my links in thread for how it looks (sort of).