C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, who knows what LOTS of white smoke from the exhaust means???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I did that test before doing my bolts and after.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
e63 amg w212 6.3
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
My guess is that the workshop will do that test where they connect some kind of bong to the coolant reservoir and it changes colour or something if/when it detects combustion gasses inside the coolant. If your checks out with that test, fingers crossed, it might not be as bad as first feared.
News: the car isnt turning on anymore.. everytime i turn the key it makes a TICK TICK sound no crank no nothing... :/
Old 12-21-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Mine did that too so don't panic just yet.... But get it into the shop....they can take a 27mm socket on the crank pully and spin it over to free it up most likely
Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by jptaylor
Damn I love the bong test method!!!!!

I have seen that contraption though and it is pretty cool....let me add this though....I could let mine warm up, shut it down, remove the oil filler cap and put my ear down to the fill hole I could hear the coolant hissing into the valve cover(but my issue was ON the driver side)
Yeah it's great man. One of the Darton sleeves dropped on my 2ZZ motor and the bong thing helped me decide not to run nitrous this year, lol.

Originally Posted by faz492
News: the car isnt turning on anymore.. everytime i turn the key it makes a TICK TICK sound no crank no nothing... :/
That might....be a blessing. If...you have coolant in the chambers, it's better to trailer the car to the workshop and have the heads removed n water removed etc, than to have the motor fire and instantly snap a rod. I know that's not entirely comforting, but if you had to pick the best of a bad situation, this would be it. Fingers crossed for you my man

Mine did that too so don't panic just yet.... But get it into the shop....they can take a 27mm socket on the crank pully and spin it over to free it up most likely
This ^

Or...you can remove the spark plugs n disconnect the injectors and just turn the ignition key to spit the water out of the chambers. However, don't do this and then drive the car later....because if water is in there now, next time you might not be so lucky with just a non-start situation. Keep us posted
Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 PM

e63 amg w212 6.3
thanks for the reassurance..
What causes it to be seized ?

Last edited by faz492; 12-22-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 PM

e63 amg w212 6.3
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Yeah it's great man. One of the Darton sleeves dropped on my 2ZZ motor and the bong thing helped me decide not to run nitrous this year, lol.

That might....be a blessing. If...you have coolant in the chambers, it's better to trailer the car to the workshop and have the heads removed n water removed etc, than to have the motor fire and instantly snap a rod. I know that's not entirely comforting, but if you had to pick the best of a bad situation, this would be it. Fingers crossed for you my man

This ^

Or...you can remove the spark plugs n disconnect the injectors and just turn the ignition key to spit the water out of the chambers. However, don't do this and then drive the car later....because if water is in there now, next time you might not be so lucky with just a non-start situation. Keep us posted
Thanks for the help ,
Because of Christmas and new years they wont be able to look at the car until 2nd week of January
Old 01-01-2017, 10:07 PM

OK, so update on the situation...figured out why my oil cooler fan was running all the time and then for 1min after shutdown... I had been continually pulling REAL codes with my Carly app and had one come up for temperature out of range yada yada but as part of the description in Carly it referenced the thermostat temp sensor in Diesel Benz engines....so I looked and damn if I didn't forget to plug the connector back in attached to the tstat housing.... Plugged it in and fan stopped IMMEDIATELY... so I assume that when it didn't see a valid temp reading it just turned on the fans to be safe
Old 01-02-2017, 02:01 AM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Nice one Jptaylor. Glad to hear you got it all fixed and it's running great.
Thanks for the picture of the 2 headbolts. The first design is terrible. Did you section the bolts?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Savage-wp
Nice one Jptaylor. Glad to hear you got it all fixed and it's running great.
Thanks for the picture of the 2 headbolts. The first design is terrible. Did you section the bolts?

I did not...those pix belong to someone else, I just used them for reference
Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
"#3 head bolt on driver side had ripped the head away from the shaft...."

Was there enough of the bolt to vise grip it out or who did you get the rest of the bolt out?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by dave2001auto
"#3 head bolt on driver side had ripped the head away from the shaft...."

Was there enough of the bolt to vise grip it out or who did you get the rest of the bolt out?
If you haven't seen the head first hand you'd think that was possible, but the head doesn't bolt down THROUGH the head like most, the head bolts are located on the BOTTOM of the head,the heads are "hollow" and there is a 1" hole that the bolts pass through to get to where they seat so even if it was broken flush it is still 4" deep in the head and you can only access it through that 1" hole. With that being said though you could possibly use on of the socket style extractors that are threaded left hand internally so it grabs the shaft while you're loosening

...but mine fortunately had not torn completely off and I was able to get it out intact