C43 vs. W204 C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
C43 vs. W204 C63

I got an invite to spend the afternoon last Friday on the Vancouver Island Motor Ciruit in the 2017 C43 Coupe and Sedan as well as the GLC C43.
As expected all are spirited and quick with great stability and no dramas even crossing the ground water running across track between turns 7 and 8 with the power down. That is likely the 4Matic doing its thing.
Selection of modes resets the suspension, transmission and engine mapping but S+ was not optimal for getting into and out of corners on this track, 4 through 7 tend to be flat to off camber and the quicker line is a stable car. S+ is a really hard ride.
The graphic are interesting including on which shows HP and torque being applied.
Brake etc. as usual were first rate.
I am not tall - 5ft 9in - and I found getting into the two cars difficult. The only way into the rear seat of the coupe is head first.
On the open road it felt choppy.
The GLC was really impressive when matched against cars. Not much to choose performance wise.
Bottom line? Is the W204 C63 leaving anytime soon? Nope.
Now if they want to do a deal on the instructor 2016 C63s that is a whole different question. Did a couple of laps with the instructor who runs then event for the second time in a year. Now that would get my attention.

P.S. One feature I forgot. There is a button on the console sort of had me scratching my head for a few minutes. It is two joined ovals. It finally struck me that they could be exhaust tips so I pushed it.
When not selected you get normal exhaust noise and pitch with the characteristic BLAT when it shifts gears particularly in sport and under load which seems to normal on the turbo cars. This thing opens up some bypass of some type and you have a rumble you can feel and an exhaust note all the way up to the shift BLAT. Certainly will annoy the hell out of the neighbours at 2 in the morning!

Last edited by Alex.currie44; 01-29-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 C63
Very interesting to hear your feedback as I'm doing exactly the same event this coming Thurs. I picked up an '09 c63 with P30 in March and have had it out on that track once since then. I'm looking forward to testing out the 43s, but am mostly waiting to get the C out on a bigger track like The Ridge.

Im assuming you're located on the Island? If so, we should grab a beer as I'd love to learn more about tracking these cars from someone first-hand. I've always run a 944 Turbo and am expecting this is going to be quite a bit different!

Ryan
Old 01-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 C63
Very interesting to hear your feedback as I'm doing exactly the same event this coming Thurs. I picked up an '09 c63 with P30 in March and have had it out on that track once since then. I'm looking forward to testing out the 43s, but am mostly waiting to get the C out on a bigger track like The Ridge.

Im assuming you're located on the Island? If so, we should grab a beer as I'd love to learn more about tracking these cars from someone first-hand. I've always run a 944 Turbo and am expecting this is going to be quite a bit different!

Ryan
Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
how do you guys get invited to this type of ****? Toyota won't even invite me to drive the new corolla around town...
Old 01-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
That joined ovals button comment had me chuckle. I test drove a Jag F type R and it has a similar button but it looked like reading glasses. As soon as I pushed it I was laughing the whole time I was driving that thing. Sport mode automatically opens that of course but it was nice to know it could be turned up even if in traffic.