Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGfaninVA
No argument, Top Tier gas is good gas.

Question is, is it necessary to keep your engine it's cleanest and provide the best performance? No, not really.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Trabant
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Then how come there is this thread and many others like it? Where people go out and fill up with bad/subpar gas and the car runs terribly? I would say that is sacrificing performance.
You've answered your own question.
And the basic knowledge behind higher octane gas is that it burns better/cleaner (for increased performance and to prevent knocking) which aids with keep an engine clean.
Octane level and engine cleanliness do not go hand in hand. That is the job of the detergent additives.
Can you get away with running supbar gas in your car? Yeah, I'll agree with you and say you can get away with it. But is it necessary to run it if you want maximum performance and longevity out of your car? Absolutely.
I didn't say anything about subpar gas. Of course using subpar gas may result in reduced engine performance and longevity. By definition, subpar means inferior.
There are many stations selling non-Top Tier/"expensive" fuels that are every bit or nearly as beneficial to performance and engine longevity.
​​​​​​​
Old 02-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Banned

Trabant
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Do you have evidence to refute my assertion?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by SuperFastYo
Lots will argue with me (its almost as bad as an oil thread sometimes) but I am a firm believer in expensive gas = good gas. I refuse to fillup at anything other than Shell and Chevron.
In total agreement on all counts. That's my combo, and I also believe it's good to switch between a couple of brands to mix up the additives. I've had some issues with just running Chevron 94 at all times, even tho that's my preferred flavour. Mixing that up has avoided any further issues.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Do you have evidence to refute my assertion?
Yes, if you use the googles there's tons of it...
Old 02-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Banned

Trabant
Seriously? That's all you have? Use the "googles"?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
Here we go!
Old 02-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Banned

Trabant
No, no argument necessary. *Top Tier gasoline is best. That does not mean all others are "subpar" or bad. All gasolines start off the same, with different suppliers often getting their fuel from the same source. The difference between brands is in type/quantity of additives/detergents added. Numerous tests have been conducted by respected organizations, validating the benefits of using Top Tier gas and acknowledging that "lesser" fuels won't harm engines or reduce performance. Bottom line Top Tier is best but, not all other gases are junk.

*The Top Tier program, managed by GM, reviews fuel sample tests submitted by companies seeking certification as Top Tier gas distributors. Upon successful screening, submitting companies pay a licensing fee (renewed each year) and then may advertise theirs as Top Tier.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
http://www.motortrend.com/news/all-f...l-technologue/

You don't think your ECU will pull timing using epa minimum deposit fuel?

Question is, is it necessary to keep your engine it's cleanest and provide the best performance? No, not really.
Octane level and engine cleanliness do not go hand in hand. That is the job of the detergent additives.

I didn't say anything about subpar gas. Of course using subpar gas may result in reduced engine performance and longevity. By definition, subpar means inferior.
​​​​​​​
Make up your mind man...
Old 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
You've answered your own question.​​​​​​​
It was a rhetorical question pointing out the obvious that gas can have an effect on the car.

Octane level and engine cleanliness do not go hand in hand. ​​​​​​​
Never said hand in hand, but it is certainly part of the equation.

There are many stations selling non-Top Tier/"expensive" fuels that are every bit or nearly as beneficial to performance and engine longevity.
​​​​​​​
Your first post said it wasn't necessary to run good gas in order to achieve "best performance" and to "keep your engine cleanest" and essentially was a blanket statement that any gas will be fine. At least that's how I took it which is why I said something.

Now, I'm not going to hold you down and waterboard you until you fess up and pick a side, but for those who read these threads I just make sure that info stays as clear and accurate as possible. Sometimes I say the same thing, just a different way, so as many people can understand. Perhaps your initial intent wasn't a blanket statement about gas, but your first post basically said "You should use good gas but you don't have to to achieve best performance." That is what I disagree with.

There is no wiggle room for confusion here -- Using bad gas will result in decreased performance and can lead to CEL worthy issues as the OP has experienced.

Luckily, these issues usually go away with a fresh tank of premium fuel.

Not looking to cause a fuss, just ironing out some wrinkles.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

Trabant
http://www.motortrend.com/news/all-f...l-technologue/
https://youtu.be/bm14Cw1pt24

You don't think your ECU will pull timing using epa minimum deposit fuel?
Absolutely not, as long as the correct octane is used.
Make up your mind man...
Taking two quotes from different statements and parsing them to prove a point only proves a dishonest intent.

Other than Top Tier fuels and subpar fuels aren't synonymous.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Banned

Trabant
It was a rhetorical question pointing out the obvious that gas can have an effect on the car.
Ok

II never said hand in hand, but it is certainly part of the equation.
No it isn't.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ctane-gasoline

Your first post said it wasnt necessary to run good gas in order to achieve "best performance" and to "keep your engine cleanest" and essentially was a blanket statement that any gas will be fine. At least that's how I took it which is why I said something.
​​​​​​​No, I said it isn't necessary to use only Top Tier gas. Fact; Top Tier isn't the only "good" gas available.

Now, I'm not going to hold you down and waterboard you until you fess up and pick a side, but for those who read these threads I just make sure that info stays as clear and accurate as possible. Sometimes I say the same thing, just a different way, so as many people can understand. Perhaps your initial intent wasn't a blanket statement about gas, but your first post basically said "You should use good gas but you don't have to to achieve best performance." That is what I disagree with.
​​​​​​​Thanks for not water boarding me, lol! The confusion, however, appears to be on your part.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Absolutely not, as long as the correct octane is used.

Taking two quotes from different statements and parsing them to prove a point only proves a dishonest intent.

Other than Top Tier fuels and subpar fuels aren't synonymous.
So since they were different statements they don't relate?

Statement 1: "is it necessary to keep your engine it's cleanest and provide the best performance? No, not really." (referring to top tier fuel)
Statement 2: "Of course using subpar gas may result in reduced engine performance"

They contradict each other. One statement says you don't need top tier fuel for the best performance while the other says using non top tier fuel can reduce performance.

My dishonest intent want's to know which one is true?

You better email the American Automobile Association and tell them they're wrong...

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/u...rt-FINAL-1.pdf
Old 02-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Banned

Trabant
So since they were different statements they don't relate?

Statement 1: "is it necessary to keep your engine it's cleanest and provide the best performance? No, not really." (referring to top tier fuel)
Statement 2: "Of course using subpar gas may result in reduced engine performance"

They contradict each other. One statement says you don't need top tier fuel for the best performance while the other says using non top tier fuel can reduce performance.

My dishonest intent want's to know which one is true?

You better email the American Automobile Association and tell them they're wrong...

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/u...rt-FINAL-1.pdf
Okay, maybe you weren't being dishonest. Maybe you just weren't paying attention.

Your equating non-Top Tier with subpar is your own belief. If you had read and understood what I said, you would have understood that I (clearly) indicated differences between Top Tier, other than Top Tier, and subpar.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Okay, maybe you weren't being dishonest. Maybe you just weren't paying attention.

Your equating non-Top Tier with subpar is your own belief. If you had read and understood what I said, you would have understood that I (clearly) indicated differences between Top Tier, other than Top Tier, and subpar.
What's the different between top tier, non top tier and subpar? All fuel must follow the minimum standard.

​​​​​​​
How else can the above two quotes be interrupted?

What's an inferior fuel? A fuel that has the absolute minimum requirement? Why is a less expensive non top tier fuel better than this subpar inferior fuel you speak of? It's still the same octane, so it can't be that as you have already explained to us peasants...

Old 02-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

Trabant
What's the different between top tier, non top tier and subpar? All fuel must follow the minimum standard.

How else can the above two quotes be interrupted?

What's an inferior fuel? A fuel that has the absolute minimum requirement? Why is a less expensive non top tier fuel better than this subpar inferior fuel you speak of? It's still the same octane, so it can't be that as you have already explained to us peasants...

First off, had you paid attention to what I said in my previous posts and in relation to the ones preceding them, you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself and then felt the need to post snarky comments. Your bad.

To answer your question; Top Tier gas is gas that meets minimum government standards and is then fortified with additional detergents/additives. Other than Top Tier gas is the gas that other suppliers offer that meets minimum government requirements. Subpar gas is the gas you read about that often causes problems in cars because of impurities or other contaminants. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a consumer won't get subpar gas even at a Top Tier station.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
​​​​​​​No, I said it isn't necessary to use only Top Tier gas. Fact; Top Tier isn't the only "good" gas available..
While it's possible that this statement is true, we don't have any better way to tell 'good' from 'not so good' except for the Top Tier labeling, so I won't use anything that's not TT.

And that's based on painful personal experience. My prior car was a C55 and I was putting a lot of miles on it every day, always running premium but picking gas stations based on price. None of it was Top Tier. Over time it got noticeably sluggish. I went to the dealer with my slug car and a stopwatch and said 'look - something's wrong'. After much eye-rolling and foot dragging, they finally agreed to look at it and eventually agreed there was a problem. Eventually the regional AMG team got involved. Their final diagnosis, after poking a boroscope into the engines internals, was that there was more sludge in the intake than they had ever seen before - a direct consequence of running fuel without a Top Tier detergent package. The cleaned it up and left me with a healthy car and a firm reprimand about my gas buying habits. And I've been good ever since.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I just throw in a bottle of Boostane and it instantly makes any quality of gas 110 octane.

Duuuuuuh
Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

Trabant
Originally Posted by zcct04
While it's possible that this statement is true, we don't have any better way to tell 'good' from 'not so good' except for the Top Tier labeling, so I won't use anything that's not TT.

And that's based on painful personal experience. My prior car was a C55 and I was putting a lot of miles on it every day, always running premium but picking gas stations based on price. None of it was Top Tier. Over time it got noticeably sluggish. I went to the dealer with my slug car and a stopwatch and said 'look - something's wrong'. After much eye-rolling and foot dragging, they finally agreed to look at it and eventually agreed there was a problem. Eventually the regional AMG team got involved. Their final diagnosis, after poking a boroscope into the engines internals, was that there was more sludge in the intake than they had ever seen before - a direct consequence of running fuel without a Top Tier detergent package. The cleaned it up and left me with a healthy car and a firm reprimand about my gas buying habits. And I've been good ever since.
I appreciate your perspective on this subject, and agree that chances of engine failure due to build up are greatly reduced using only Top Tier gas however, your case is the exception not the norm.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
First off, had you paid attention to what I said in my previous posts and in relation to the ones preceding them, you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself and then felt the need to post snarky comments. Your bad.

To answer your question; Top Tier gas is gas that meets minimum government standards and is then fortified with additional detergents/additives. Other than Top Tier gas is the gas that other suppliers offer that meets minimum government requirements. Subpar gas is the gas you read about that often causes problems in cars because of impurities or other contaminants. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a consumer won't get subpar gas even at a Top Tier station.
Your posts are filled with verbal diarrhea and contradictions.

Let me repost the article you probably didn't read or didn't pay attention to. It compares 93 octane top tier vs other non top tier fuels. Or, maybe it's a conspiracy and they were all that magic sub par "you read about" fuels.

Click here for article --> AAA Fuel Quality Research <-- Click here for article

Here's the summary since you probably won't read it. I have and others like it which is why I disagree with you.
Originally Posted by AAA Fuel Quality Research
10 Summary Recommendations
1. If concerned with engine performance, fuel economy and emissions, motorists should select
a gasoline that meets TOP TIER standards.
2. Motorists whose cars have a rough idle, cold starting issues or running problems such as
hesitation during acceleration may be experiencing the side effects of engine carbon
deposits. If these drivers routinely purchase a gasoline that does not meet TOP TIER
standards, switching to a TOP TIER gasoline for several tank fill-ups may help remove the
deposits and potentially resolve the drivability problems.
3. It is possible to purchase TOP TIER gasoline for only pennies more per gallon than non-TOP
TIER gasoline. The practice of driving to a specific TOP TIER gasoline retailer may be less
convenient in some situations, but long-term it will often save money through better fuel
economy and reduced need for repairs.
4. Some consumers may associate gasoline quality with fuel grade (premium vs. regular) or
octane number, which is a mistaken assumption. Motorists should use the fuel grade
recommended by the vehicle manufacturer in the owner’s manual.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

Trabant
Your posts are filled with verbal diarrhea and contradictions.

Let me repost the article you probably didn't read or didn't pay attention to. It compares 93 octane top tier vs other non top tier fuels. Or, maybe it's a conspiracy and they were all that magic sub par "you read about" fuels.

Click here for article --> AAA Fuel Quality Research <-- Click here for article

Here's the summary since you probably won't read it. I have and others like it which is why I disagree with you.
You have yet to show anywhere I've contradicted myself. The only thing you've successfully demonstrated is an inability to follow a simple discussion.

To help you along, I'll provide the clifs notes version. I have acknowledged that Top Tier gas is best. I have noted that other than Top Tier gas can absolutely provide equal performance and engine cleaning abilities. And lastly, I've said subpar gas can lead to reduced performance and engine longevity.

See any contradictions there? I don't.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
You have yet to show anywhere I've contradicted myself. The only thing you've successfully demonstrated is an inability to follow a simple discussion.

To help you along, I'll provide the clifs notes version. I have acknowledged that Top Tier gas is best. I have noted that other than Top Tier gas can absolutely provide equal performance and engine cleaning abilities. And lastly, I've said subpar gas can lead to reduced performance and engine longevity.

See any contradictions there? I don't.
Aaaaaaaaand more verbal diarrhea.

Did you read that article from AAA yet? It's one of the reasons why I laughed at your first useless post in this thread.

Where are you gathering your information from btw? Any credible sources you care to share? So far you've just been repeating gibberish...
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Banned

Trabant
Where are you gathering your information from btw?
Certainly not from
the googles
, LOL!!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
So you didn't read that AAA article yet and your opinion is based on feelings.

Figured as much...
Old 02-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Banned

Trabant
So you didn't read that AAA article yet and your opinion is based on feelings.

Figured as much...
I read that article long before you posted it here, and as for "feelings", I ain't Barry Manilow.

https://youtu.be/IwnwO3mFSYg

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/is-cheap-gas-bad-for-your-car.html

https://www.cars.com/articles/2009/07/10-tips-gas-stations-dont-want-you-to-know/

These are just a few examples. There are many more, all you have to do is "use the googles".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My '13 is acting sketchy as hell