C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

First time drag strip. What a gas !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C 63 AMG ( 204), JCW Mini Cooper ( autocross )
First time drag strip. What a gas !

Came down out of the mountains and took the old girl to the 1/8 mile bracket races in Greenville SC Sat 4/8. 2012 C-63AMG, dead stock w/ nearly new Mich Pilot Sports. Man was I clueless on the first few practice runs. As in real estate, its all about The launch, the launch, the launch. My initial reaction to the lights was either so slow you could time it with a sun dial or a red. So I parked the car and watched a lot of starts by the pros. By chance I noticed the 3 amber lights clicked down at the exact natural cadence I could recite 1,2,3. I found that by just catching the 1st yellow, I could look down the track,count and launch on 3 . This improved my RT and allowed me to focus on the next challenge, wheel spin and accelerator finesse. Could have been the rubber laid down on the track but wheel spin was crazy. As recommended in almost all drag threads here I ran my fronts at 45 psi and the rear at 20. ( After the race I borrowed air from a pro in the pits with a good gauge and found I was actually running 30psi rear. Using a cheap gauge, another dumb mistake : I had the chance to do a lot of runs and experiment w/ traction ctrl off, and in sport, as well as shifting via sport and M. Wheel spin was like being on ice w/o traction control, but I believe with enough practice I could run faster with it off. But, this being bracket racing I went with the most predictable launch in S with sport handling. My 600' times were better and consistent but still pathetic compared to the big boys. My best practice run was about 8.54 so I conservatively set my target ( bracket ) at 8.50. Of course I won the first race with a 8.40/86mph, hence lost by breaking out faster than my bracket. Adjusted down for the 2nd run and started "handicapped" a bit over 1 sec. against a Corvette. Felt sure I'd caught him at the line but the tape said he had .06 sec edge! ( I am car 23 in attachment ). I felt pretty good about my times for a first try knowing there is a lot of room for improvement. I also felt good about having the 2 fastest times in the street cat. race.:zoom So I actually lost per the arcane stratagems of bracket racing. But I went mainly to see what we could do and find a place to begin just for competing against myself in the future. I will probably go back again this year. It was really a blast, but bracket racing seems a bit tedious to me so I doubt I'll make a career out of it. BTW. I had plenty of run out room so in practice I held out to 100 to see what we could do. 9 sec flat. Seemed pretty good to me.
Attached Thumbnails First time drag strip. What a gas !-abca462592afcbf1c3079c5438806814fail.jpg   First time drag strip. What a gas !-img_0491.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CCF04092017_0002.pdf (286.3 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by wilburfierce; 04-09-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: ommision
Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe
Awesome. I wanted to take mine to 1/4 myself for the first time soon!
The following users liked this post:
wilburfierce (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Racing is always lots of fun.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 C63 P31 coupe
Nice. You must have been at Greer dragway. I live in Greenville. I will probably take mine to Atlanta dragway soon.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C 63 AMG ( 204), JCW Mini Cooper ( autocross )
Greetings neighbor

. Why haven't you tried Greer ? Nice track, cheap entry $, lots of practice time, well run. Is Atlanta bracket racing? Link ?
Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 C63 P31 coupe
Originally Posted by wilburfierce
. Why haven't you tried Greer ? Nice track, cheap entry $, lots of practice time, well run. Is Atlanta bracket racing? Link ?
I ran Greer back in my Mustang days but honestly I kind of forgot about it. It does sound fun. I'm more partial to quarter mile though. Here's the link.. It's a pro track so it's ran very well. Sometimes it can get crowded but they have test and tune days.. bracket races and a lot of other events.

http://www.atlantadragway.com/

Even though it says Atlanta, it's really Commerce, Ga which is about an hour east of ATL.

Have you ever hear of Shadyside raceway? It's in NC kind of near Tryon I think. I remember seeing some unbelievable cars there and it's pretty much run whatever you want. Let's just say there's not many rules there but it sure is fun. I've seen nitrous mopeds..atvs..cars running 5s in the 1/8th scrubbing the guard rail the entire run.