Intake manifold without the flaps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Intake manifold without the flaps

Does anybody have any experience/knowledge of running the motor without the internal variable runners and if so:
  • How much low end power was lost?
  • Was there a worthwhile gain up top?

I'm tempted to buy a used intake manifold and butcher it, to test the theory. On one hand....the angle of the flaps at WOT aid the direction of airflow (and probably velocity)...on the other hand, they are a restriction in their own right by being there and...limiting the velocity.

Removing the flaps could of course make the motor really flat in the midrange and then push the powerband too high for the motor to be able to even rev up to....but I am quite curious about this. Wondering if anything like this was looked into years ago by pioneers like dadsc63 or any other OG's
Old 04-10-2017, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I know there have been one or two people that have swapped to the SLS IM. I forget who has the highly modded black C63 with red graphics that has one. He said the car loses a good amount down low and in the midrange and shifts the power quite high up. I'd say just stick with the stock IM. For a street car, the loss down low is not worth the power up top.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
freefall is the guys name with the time attack stripped down track car. Sick.

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...s-raceway.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...c63-coupe.html

Last edited by BLKROKT; 04-10-2017 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chrisridebike8 (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Thanks guys - interesting....that freefall car is badass. Takes ***** to do that.

I'm pretty sure that if a second hand manifold becomes available over here and it's really cheap, i'll buy it and test out the idea n report back if I can provide some measurable data (like...maf voltage increasing at WOT vs the stock manifold, for example).

Tempted to get a pair of flanges made up out of steel (I can't weld Aluminium) to have a play around at some point this summer and test out some ideas. If anyone knows where I can get a pair, give me a shout please.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 AMG PPP Saloon
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Thanks guys - interesting....that freefall car is badass. Takes ***** to do that.

I'm pretty sure that if a second hand manifold becomes available over here and it's really cheap, i'll buy it and test out the idea n report back if I can provide some measurable data (like...maf voltage increasing at WOT vs the stock manifold, for example).

Tempted to get a pair of flanges made up out of steel (I can't weld Aluminium) to have a play around at some point this summer and test out some ideas. If anyone knows where I can get a pair, give me a shout please.
I have a bare one in my garage I to looked at this
It also has the throttle bodies