C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Ignition Coil Problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
2012 C63 with P30, LSD, and EES Supercharger, 1959 Plymouth with Viper V10 and Tremec 6sp
Ignition Coil Problem?

My car is a 2012 C 63 with about 29K miles. About 3 months ago I got a check engine light while car was running without problem. I didn't write down the code but it said the #7 ignition coil was malfunctioning. I replaced the coil and car has been running fine until yesterday it developed a miss, CEL came on, and now a different code 1006 stating "The actuation of ignition coil 7 has an electrical fault or open circuit" I will attach a picture from my scanner.
When I replaced the coil I looked closely at the plug, connector, and wire looking for a problem. I am going to take it apart again today but am not sure where else to look. Has anyone had this code and found the problem? I searched the site and couldn't find anything. I do all my own wrenching so even major exploration is no problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. When I get it fixed I will post what the problem was.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Ignition Coil Problem?-img_4368.jpg  
Old 06-11-2017, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Just a WAG, could it be a wire and not the coil?
Old 06-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
2012 C63 with P30, LSD, and EES Supercharger, 1959 Plymouth with Viper V10 and Tremec 6sp
That's what I am thinking. Yesterday I started the car and there was no miss so I took off the air cleaner and cut the coil wire zip ties and moved all the #7 wires around and couldn't get it to miss. Drove the car for about 50 miles and no check engine light or miss. It looks like there is some type of electrical gremlin and I will have to wait until it completely fails to figure it out. I think that is the worst type of problem because now I will never know when it will fail and I don't think there is any way to figure it out if no CEL and it is running perfectly. Oh well. Thanks for the help. When it fails again I will post what the problem was.
Jim
Old 06-11-2017, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Big Jimbo
That's what I am thinking. Yesterday I started the car and there was no miss so I took off the air cleaner and cut the coil wire zip ties and moved all the #7 wires around and couldn't get it to miss. Drove the car for about 50 miles and no check engine light or miss. It looks like there is some type of electrical gremlin and I will have to wait until it completely fails to figure it out. I think that is the worst type of problem because now I will never know when it will fail and I don't think there is any way to figure it out if no CEL and it is running perfectly. Oh well. Thanks for the help. When it fails again I will post what the problem was.
Jim
Maybe some others with more knowledge can chime in here.
If an igition coil fails will the car quit, just run rough or will it go into some limp mode?
Old 06-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Maybe some others with more knowledge can chime in here.
If an igition coil fails will the car quit, just run rough or will it go into some limp mode?
I'll go with both B and C, Regis... Final Answer