C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How to Cancel Immediate Upshifts when Switching Into S+ Mode from M @ High RPM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:54 PM

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
'16 CLS63S
Change to whatever mode you want while driving BUT dont do it while accelerating or decelerating (to play it safe). If your already in 7th gear while in C and switch to S the car stays in 7th and all is good. Going from S to S+ in 7th just drops the trans in 6th.

If your racing through the gears in C then I wouldnt switch to S. Same for switching to S+ during WOT from S. Tranny shift patters/points change.

Going into M from S+ will leave it in whatever gear your already in.

Really no big thing IMO....as long as your cruising in a steady gear during the switch between modes.

I daily drive my car 50 miles a day. Ill drive in C from my driveway until I get to the highway (less then a mile away) then switch to S or S+ for the highway drive to work once Im in 7th gear and crusing.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
It doesn't say "only switch modes when stationary".

It says only switch to manual mode when stationary.

You guys are so overthinking this.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
If I can add my 2c while it's not relevant I just want to shed a little bit of light into the subject of S+ and M Mode guys wanting to maximize the most out of these gearboxes should use s+ or s Mode PFL tcu is always learning and adapting in S Mode but in M Mode it's not it actually never learns in M Mode

I have tested this a lot over the past couple years

My tuner couple of months ago while he was reading my data says to me do you use M Mode while racing and I say yes all the time he tells me I'm a idiot tells me to go do another pass in S Mode Bang PB I was shocked

But guys with upped RPM limit not a good idea to use S Mode your gearbox doesn't apply enough line pressure for upped RPM limit so stay with Manuel Mode

Just my 2c
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by mr747
If I can add my 2c while it's not relevant I just want to shed a little bit of light into the subject of S+ and M Mode guys wanting to maximize the most out of these gearboxes should use s+ or s Mode PFL tcu is always learning and adapting in S Mode but in M Mode it's not it actually never learns in M Mode.
I have tested this a lot over the past couple years
Was the first half of your post written after happy hour had already started? :-)
Yes, the trans learns when in one of the AUTO modes. What it learns is how to select shift points based on your driving style. And quite obviously, it doesn't need to learn how to shift in M, because YOU are in charge of deciding shift points. That one wasn't rocket science.

Originally Posted by mr747
My tuner couple of months ago while he was reading my data says to me do you use M Mode while racing and I say yes all the time he tells me I'm a idiot tells me to go do another pass in S Mode Bang PB I was shocked.
This part of the post was interesting. Faster drag strip times in Auto than in Manual confirms that the car is indeed smarter and faster than we are.