2009 C63 AMG - Problems to know?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
12' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
warranty is a waste of money
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I just bought my car 2 months ago and my mechanic, who is a master mercedes mechanic advised me to get a warranty if I could due to the cost on some of the repairs that come up on these cars.. Luckily I did, because I have quite a laundry list of things that are going to be repaired and covered by warranty. Lifter adjusters, sway bar bushings, and most recently my tilt function in my steering column stopped working. This would be close to 5k worth of work but is all covered under warranty for a $250 deductable. BTW, warranty cost me well under that 5K and i'm covered for 3yr/36kmiles. IMO I dont think that its a waste of money
Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Originally Posted by Huskymush
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I just bought my car 2 months ago and my mechanic, who is a master mercedes mechanic advised me to get a warranty if I could due to the cost on some of the repairs that come up on these cars.. Luckily I did, because I have quite a laundry list of things that are going to be repaired and covered by warranty. Lifter adjusters, sway bar bushings, and most recently my tilt function in my steering column stopped working. This would be close to 5k worth of work but is all covered under warranty for a $250 deductable. BTW, warranty cost me well under that 5K and i'm covered for 3yr/36kmiles. IMO I dont think that its a waste of money
you overlooked my statement about mechanical ability. I would not pay a mechanic to do any of the work you mentioned. I would do it myself.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
you overlooked my statement about mechanical ability. I would not pay a mechanic to do any of the work you mentioned. I would do it myself.

Most people do not have the knowledge or mechanical ability to work on their own Mercedes. I discovered this very quickly when I tried to install the illuminated star on my own which required me to remove the entire fuse panel under the hood. Any other car would have just been a splice in the headlight wiring but not Mercedes because everything is run and monitored by a computer. I come from a hot rod background and performed many modifications to my 69 Camaro RS with a built 383 stoker, including intake manifold and header swaps, adjusting lifters, charging fuel pumps, exc exc, but the M156 is not a small block Chevy.

The Mercedes electrical system is very complex and integrated throughout the car, and the cost of parts and complexity of the mechanicals in the 6.2L is a barrier to entry. For 95% of individuals its it much better to take it to a certified Mercedes Master mechanic who has the specialized tools, knowledge, and experience to diagnose and properly fix your car should something go wrong. Not to mention if it is fixed by Mercedes the work and parts are warranted and shows a complete and comprehensive service history when you go to sell it to the next owner. I would much rather buy a car that was always serviced at the dealer versus a shade tree at home mechanic. What you are essentially buying is peace of mind. I am currently under a CPO that ends next may and for $1845 I can purchase additional two years of CPO with unlimited mileage and to me that is well well worth.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Anytime you buy a 2009 or 2010 C63, just know that you'll have to spend another $3500 for new head bolts. Most good independent European shops will charge that.

You might want to change the buckets as well to the revised M156 buckets while you're in there as there's virtually no additional labor.

I'm going to go against the grain here though, in saying that if you can snag a good condition C63 with 90k+ miles for $21k, spend another $4k, for $25k, you're gonna have a heck of a car.

That being said, like most other cars in the 90k+ mile range, you're going to run into other issues down the road. Suspension might be tired, bushings might be cracking etc. but those problems are not unique to a C63 or Mercedes.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
12' C63 AMG
I would as well. I am more than capable. I worked on cars for 12 years, and now I work on airplanes and rockets. My problem is Time....and as we all know time is money.