Considering E55 to 2012+ C63!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2017 | 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Considering E55 to 2012+ C63!

Hey Guys,

Im considering jumping into a 2012 C63 sedan.

Ive always loved the C63 and I think it would be kinda fun to throw around and as long as I can fit a baby seat in the back my wife wont complain.....

I would dearly miss the plushness of the E55, the power of a boosted V8, comfort, the finishing details etc.

What do I need to know, Any reliability issues or big things to concern myself with other then 1st gen head stud issues. My E55 is rock solid in terms of reliability. Its meticulously maintained, drives like new, All major warranty items performed, Factory E63 upgrades, long list. So, How does C63 stack up? How reliable is the M156?

Does the 2012+ C63 have rev matching downshifts? Does it crackle on downshift like the new C63?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Max.H; 08-14-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2017 | 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I would keep the E. You'll miss the boost. That said, 2012+ are pretty rock solid and still fun. But again, you'll miss your torque.
The following users liked this post:
Max.H (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017 | 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Max.H
Hey Guys,

Does the 2012+ C63 have rev matching downshifts? Does it crackle on downshift like the new C63?

Thanks for the help.
The new C63 doesn't come close as far as sound, compared to the 2012+. The N/A will have the blips, pops and crackle you want (a tune also helps define this more).

I can't compare between the E55 and C63, but the C63 is a fun car to drive. Try to test drive one if there is one at a local dealer.
Max.H (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017 | 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I would keep the E. You'll miss the boost. That said, 2012+ are pretty rock solid and still fun. But again, you'll miss your torque.
Ive driven CLS63 with 6.2L. It felt refined and rev happy, quick gear changes. I liked it a lot too. Ya I hear you on the torque though. Hard to describe but, when boost hits, an E55 feels like you're riding a tornado.

I want something to throw around, The E is great for long trips and for being comfy and fast in a straight line. But, I want something smaller, handles good. but packs a punch. Also considering F80 M3 but that's way more money.

Good to know the cars are stout. Is there a lot of oil consumption issues with the 2012+ C63 in particular? I don't want that.

Anything I should watch out for? C63 seems like a car people buy and beat on. So that is bit of a worry.
Old 08-15-2017 | 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^If you want to toss something nimble around then you should end up in a coupe. Also, I'd rather have a well maintained car that was beat on than a car that never saw above 3500 rpms and "adult driven" (whatever that means).

I owned two c63's before my E, both pre and post FL, never had to add oil between changes. Never even had a CEL in them. Every time I was out they also both saw redline while on tunes and exhausts.

That all said, we live in a real world where every car off the block is not the same. I didn't necessarily get lucky because the majority of these cars are well built, but every once in a while you'll come across one with some type of failure that goes deep into the wallet which you should be prepared for. That goes for everything from hand built AMG's to mass produced Prius'.

Just go drive one and see what you think. Hard to really compare up against a CLS as well. On paper, a lot of AMG's look the same, but for whatever reason they all have their own characteristics. We can't tell you whether or not you'll like said characteristics because at the end of the day your taste is different than the next persons and so on.
Max.H (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017 | 10:22 AM

2013 C63 W204, 2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Hey Guys,

Ive always loved the C63 and I think it would be kinda fun to throw around and as long as I can fit a baby seat in the back my wife wont complain.....

I would dearly miss the plushness of the E55, the power of a boosted V8, comfort, the finishing details etc.

What do I need to know, Any reliability issues or big things to concern myself with other then 1st gen head stud issues. My E55 is rock solid in terms of reliability. Its meticulously maintained, drives like new, All major warranty items performed, Factory E63 upgrades, long list. So, How does C63 stack up? How reliable is the M156?

Thanks for the help.
I recently switched from a W211 E55 to a new-to-me 2013 C63. I can not not yet comment on reliability of the M156 as I've had mine for month and a half, and bought it CPO with only 14k miles. Stock M156; no mods (yet)/

I can attest to how the cars are very different, drive very differently. As stated previously, you will miss the E's low-rev torque. But the C63 is much better handling/turning, and has plenty of go-power at higher revs. The C is bumpier as suspension is much tighter than the E. The gearing is very different: that E's 5-speed was simple and went about its business like a shy bookkeeper: didn't want to be noticed. The C63's 7-speed is busy and you can feel it working; it wants you to know it is shifting. Road feel is excellent.

The C's sound is much better, and downshifting in Sport+ mode is priceless with its spitting, coughing, and other angry-sounding posturing (as if to say "Damnit, why are you slowing down!"). I rely on engine braking much more in the C and often coast to a stop light without using footbrake at all. The accelerator in the C, coupled with the transmission, is much more jagged and touchy, perhaps akin to a young thoroughbred horse. It just wants you to get on it without being tender or reticent. It doesn't like slow starts.

Every day I fall in love with the C63 more and more, particularly as I learn about it and adapt to its very-dynamic personality and proclivities.

In summary, the E55 is sort of a mature strong horse that can run very fast when needed, but is just fine playing soft/nice. The C63 is like a young cocky colt that doesn't like to do anything half speed and just doesn't understand why we need to follow all these road rules. Most at home, I suspect, on a track (which I've not done yet).

Great car; happy I can have one.

Hope this helps.
Max.H (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017 | 11:32 AM

2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by KrisKeeney
I recently switched from a W211 E55 to a new-to-me 2013 C63. I can not not yet comment on reliability of the M156 as I've had mine for month and a half, and bought it CPO with only 14k miles. Stock M156; no mods (yet)/

I can attest to how the cars are very different, drive very differently. As stated previously, you will miss the E's low-rev torque. But the C63 is much better handling/turning, and has plenty of go-power at higher revs. The C is bumpier as suspension is much tighter than the E. The gearing is very different: that E's 5-speed was simple and went about its business like a shy bookkeeper: didn't want to be noticed. The C63's 7-speed is busy and you can feel it working; it wants you to know it is shifting. Road feel is excellent.

The C's sound is much better, and downshifting in Sport+ mode is priceless with its spitting, coughing, and other angry-sounding posturing (as if to say "Damnit, why are you slowing down!"). I rely on engine braking much more in the C and often coast to a stop light without using footbrake at all. The accelerator in the C, coupled with the transmission, is much more jagged and touchy, perhaps akin to a young thoroughbred horse. It just wants you to get on it without being tender or reticent. It doesn't like slow starts.

Every day I fall in love with the C63 more and more, particularly as I learn about it and adapt to its very-dynamic personality and proclivities.

In summary, the E55 is sort of a mature strong horse that can run very fast when needed, but is just fine playing soft/nice. The C63 is like a young cocky colt that doesn't like to do anything half speed and just doesn't understand why we need to follow all these road rules. Most at home, I suspect, on a track (which I've not done yet).

Hope this helps.
Good post. Not so sure about the track part and the overheating issues though. This is an expensive car to track.
Old 08-15-2017 | 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by NotABaller
Good post. Not so sure about the track part and the overheating issues though. This is an expensive car to track.
^ This

You're not going to enjoy tracking this car unless you get the AMG 44O cooling kit upgrade, which should have been standard on these (and was on the Black Series). In anything other than spring/fall weather, you'll see limp mode in just a few laps. There are some easier things you can do to mitigate the cooling deficiencies (radiator blockoff plate, 180deg thermostat, phenolic intake spacers, Redline Waterwetter, different oil, etc), but you can be sure that if you're tracking in 85F+ you'll see limp mode.

And consumables. It is a heavy car, and you'll go through tires and brake pads like you wouldn't believe.

Set up properly though, it is a very capable and fun car to drive on track. But it's expensive to get there.
Old 08-15-2017 | 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
^ This

You're not going to enjoy tracking this car unless you get the AMG 44O cooling kit upgrade, which should have been standard on these (and was on the Black Series). In anything other than spring/fall weather, you'll see limp mode in just a few laps. There are some easier things you can do to mitigate the cooling deficiencies (radiator blockoff plate, 180deg thermostat, phenolic intake spacers, Redline Waterwetter, different oil, etc), but you can be sure that if you're tracking in 85F+ you'll see limp mode.

And consumables. It is a heavy car, and you'll go through tires and brake pads like you wouldn't believe.

Set up properly though, it is a very capable and fun car to drive on track. But it's expensive to get there.
I agree. I the only thing I was impressed with at the track was straight line acceleration. Of course mine is stock except for V5 tune.
Old 08-16-2017 | 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by KrisKeeney

Hope this helps.

Nice! Thats very informative. Thanks everyone who responded. I appreciate it. Cheers
Old 08-16-2017 | 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help.
I can't comment directly re a W212 E55 boosted but did have a 350 4 matic and there is no way to compare the two cars in my view because they have such different missions as cars.
I don't have kids to worry about and I would say of all the 11 Benz cars I have had the 2013 C63 with perform package is just about the best given most of my cars heretofore were Es, roadsters and one CLK320.
A friend of mine who was a big influence on my decision to step down from a 2015 CLA45 AMG to this car has two kid seats in the back of his coupe!