My P2540 code saga

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1993 Competition Yellow Mica Mazda RX-7 and 2009 C63
My P2540 code saga

Hi All,

I'm wondering what next steps to take. Also curious if there is any more troubleshooting I can do on my own using the Blue Driver OBD II reader and app.

Background:
At the end of June, 2016, I took my '09 to the dealer with code P2540. Dealer diagnosis found a cracked fuel pump fitting. $1950 later and I'm up and running fine.

Beginning of June, 2017, I get the CEL again. Dealer diagnosis says fuel pumps (still under 1 year warranty) are fine but need to replace the pressure sensor on the fuel rail part # 156-153-00-28. Another $224 spent and the CEL goes away for a week or two. Second diagnosis also shows codes P0171 and P0174 (Banks 1 and 2 running lean). Dealer says cracked part on the intake manifold. Estimate is $3300 but will give me a 10% discount. Picks included show the part of the manifold that went bad.

Dealer also forgot to re-attach a vacuum hose to a canister just behind the driver headlight which lead to a ticking noise from a solenoid and whistling sound from vacuum. Had to take the car back for them to put the hose back correctly.

I decided to hunt around and found a shop willing to use a known good but used intake manifold. Another $1900 (but hey, better than $3k) with a 6 month warranty on the part (vs. 1 year for MB part). That clears up the P0171 and P0174 codes but the original problem of P2540 remains. Local shop recommended replacement of the fuel rail pressure sensor. I explained the dealership already did that. They recommended going back to the dealer about it. Local shop also asked if the IM had been removed by the dealer (I don't know) as maybe that is why the rubber bit cracked the way it did.

At this point, I'm tired of what seems to be a method of replacing the most likely cause until something works. Also wanted to warn others of the potential for a big expense to replace a cheap rubber fitting. It boggles my mind the amount of engineering effort they put into these cars in some respects (a sensor to detect my rear seat isn't properly latched and the code to tell my dashboard to light up and tell me) but not others (a non-repairable fitting on an expensive part, not a problem unique to the W204 either).

BTW, if anyone wants this old manifold and thinks they can repair it, make an offer.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-28-2017, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
When I see what appears to be the crack in your manifold I have a hard time believing that it couldn't be fixed successfully. I would have taken a crack at it for free and I'm willing to bet that there's a greater than 50% chance the fix would hold. (And cost little but time). GL tho with everything.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by bhamg
When I see what appears to be the crack in your manifold I have a hard time believing that it couldn't be fixed successfully. I would have taken a crack at it for free and I'm willing to bet that there's a greater than 50% chance the fix would hold. (And cost little but time). GL tho with everything.
Thanks, I agree, I'm tempted to have a friend with a 3D printer put something together in the event my replacement suffers the same failure. Someone else mentioned just tapping and threading a metal fitting on there.

Still not sure what to troubleshoot next.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:55 AM

Another update. I took my car back into the dealer on 9/6. I heard nothing for a couple of days, then they called to say they can't get it figured out and are planning to contact Germany for further assistance.

If this were your car, what questions would you be asking the dealership at this point?

When they do tests, do they record the results somewhere in the service records?

If it isn't the pumps (I'm not convinced they have that correct) and isn't the sensor, what else could it be?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Word from the dealership is they are waiting on some sort of "correction factor" from Germany in regard to the fuel pumps.

Anyone know what this means? The service adviser didn't seem to understand it well enough to explain it.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 '08
Hey D3-AMG do you have this finally fixed?. I am living this saga for a full year now. Already replaced fuel pump 2 times, Fuel presure sensor, ECU, Fuel Control Modules.

Please let me know!.