Sponsored by:

SRS Malfunction After Removing the seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 & 2012 C63 P31 Sedan
SRS Malfunction After Removing the seat

So while I was having my side bolster repaired, the front seat was taken out and reinstalled. However, the battery was not unplugged before doing so and now I get the SRS malfunction error every time I start the car.

I checked the plugs under the seat and everything seems fine there. I guess once the error happens, it wont go away even if it gets fixed until someone clears the code?

I really don't want to spend $150 diagnostic to get the dealer to clear it for me. Does anyone in Denver have a Star diagnostic or know anyone who does?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
W463
F.Y.I Anytime you disconnect any kind of harness from the car. Always disconnect the battery first. MB electronics are very sensitive and will throw a code/error every time.

Instead of going to the dealer, you should be able to go to any local MB INDY shop in your area and they will clear it for you for much less. I made the same mistake when I did my steering wheel swap, $75 later... lessons have been learned.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Savien
Does anyone in Denver have a Star diagnostic or know anyone who does?
Star not needed, can clear SRS fault code with Carly for Mercedes app (worked for me), and have read that iCarSoft i980 can also clear SRS. There may be others as well
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MBNRG
Star not needed, can clear SRS fault code with Carly for Mercedes app (worked for me), and have read that iCarSoft i980 can also clear SRS. There may be others as well
Wow really? I've never heard of phone apps being able to do it. I'll definitely look into it.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Savien
Wow really? I've never heard of phone apps being able to do it. I'll definitely look into it.
Will need an OBD Port dongle that connects to your phone - for Carly it works best with their own Carly dongle ($35 on Amazon), but other forum members have had good experiences with other dongle brands. The iCarsoft is a handheld unit ~$100.

If you don't already have a diagnostic reader, you can knob 2 birds with 1 connie, and kill that SRS code as well

Last edited by MBNRG; 09-13-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 693 Likes on 472 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by MBNRG
Maybe it is a newer feature, I have Carly but have not tried it for that purpose, but their website says this

Carly for Mercedes:
Diagnostics – Perform a complete health-check of your car’s electronics!

Check Fault Codes and their explanation texts
Clear Fault Codes (except Airbag)
Generate readable Fault Reports

iCarSoft i980 can do it or better yet get the icarsoft mb II for mercedes specific scanner, it is $150 so 50 more than carly or the 980
Amazon Amazon

I had carly for my BMW and the same dongle worked, but if I was paying $100 for a carly dongle, I would probably go icarsoft instead as it has more features than carly on mercedes.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Maybe it is a newer feature, I have Carly but have not tried it for that purpose, but their website says this

Carly for Mercedes:
Diagnostics – Perform a complete health-check of your car’s electronics!

Check Fault Codes and their explanation texts
Clear Fault Codes (except Airbag)
Generate readable Fault Reports

iCarSoft i980 can do it or better yet get the icarsoft mb II for mercedes specific scanner, it is $150 so 50 more than carly or the 980 https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Merc...iCarsoft+MB+II

I had carly for my BMW and the same dongle worked, but if I was paying $100 for a carly dongle, I would probably go icarsoft instead as it has more features than carly on mercedes.
Hmm then I may not go with the Carly option if it wont clear the SRS code. Thanks for the tips!