C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Clunking, tapping at front end at 70+ MPH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63
Clunking, tapping at front end at 70+ MPH

Hello everyone! I just recently purchased a 2013 C63. Car is in amazing condition with clean carfax, 39,000 miles and every option from factory. I love the car... anyways I did notice one thing as I was driving it back home (5 hour drive from where I bought the car)

Anytime I am at a speed above 70 MPH I get a strange clunking noise... It kinda sounds like something dragging and hanging from a wire and bouncing on the road. (Its not just trying to describe the noise.)

The noise doesn't happen if I get behind a 18 wheeler. It stops as if the wind draft is blocking it. I checked all the panels in the front of the car and under the car to see if anything is loose and flapping at high speeds from the wind and nothing. There is also no sound at low speeds if I turn the wheel quickly so I don't think its coming from the suspension.

It sounds to me like something fairly heavy hanging from a string or wire thats bouncing against something when the wind catches it. Any thoughts?

Its not too bad or loud but its kinda driving me crazy
Attached Thumbnails Clunking, tapping at front end at 70+ MPH-20170817_135821.jpg