C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

NTG4 COMAND issue that you guys will call BS on....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
NTG4 COMAND issue that you guys will call BS on....

Ok, so i am a stereo/audio guy and my OTHER business is a sound/custom car shop so i have literally seen it all with radios...or so I thought.

Several weeks ago i posted a thread about the COMAND unit running fine for hours on end and then all of a sudden it goes into this startup/run 30sec/shutdown/repeat ad infinitum routine. In that thread i detailed pulling the head unit, unmounting the hard drive, remounting the hard drive and then everything being good to go....Well, it was, until 2wks later it did it again, then again last week.....why i didnt connect these dots before is beyond me but i figured out that it is NOT an issue with the hard drive connection.....wait for it.....

......IT IS GEOGRAPHICAL!!!!!!!

I realized that it was starting this whenever I traveled to Dothan, AL.....knowing this theory was burning a hole through me i decided to make a trip back to Dothan(my brother lives there) this past Saturday and ill be damned if when I got to Dothan it didnt do it again, right on cue as expected!!!! Every other time it has happened i would just turn the unit off until i got home so i could fix it but Saturday i just let it keep going through that restart routine until i got home....However, about 3mi outside of where it started the routine earlier that day it just stopped and has been fine ever since!!!! It did not do this until i updated my maps several months ago so my assumption is that has something to do with the root cause...also, even though the screen would close when the car was shut down i could still hear the unit's fan cycling through the routine over and over and over, even if i had been out of the car for 6hrs it would STILL by cycling when i got back in.....so if any of you guys that said they were having a similar issue are STILL having it pop up every once in a while you may be having the same location related issue as me....
Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63 E63
You might just need a software update from the dealer, your current software might not like the new Map update
Old 09-21-2017, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
If I was you I would clone that hd asap, my guess would be that it isn't really where your car is but specifically the data it needs to read from the drive when your map is in that area and the data may be corrupted and that area of the drive damaged. You may be able to recover the data in the cloning process, otherwise it may need to be updated to rewrite that data to a new location on the drive - guessing it will eventually get worse.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Maybe, but I can pull up Dothan and explore every square inch of it on the map....no doubt that it doesn't like SOMETHING, but that is the ONLY issue I have with the entire unit, otherwise it's flawless
Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by jptaylor
Maybe, but I can pull up Dothan and explore every square inch of it on the map....no doubt that it doesn't like SOMETHING, but that is the ONLY issue I have with the entire unit, otherwise it's flawless
So weird