C63 Check Engine Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C63 AMG
C63 Check Engine Help ASAP

Hi MBWorld,

new forum member here, currently own a 2008 W204 C63 AMG, 99,000 miles. Very bad problem. On my way to work today, I was monitoring my engine oil temp and coolant temp, per usual when driving. I noticed something very wrong though. While coolant temp reached 195 F as usual, engine oil temp was at 150-156 F and not rising. Car was (and is?) running fine but all of a sudden my check engine light flicks on. Now my heart is racing, engine oil temp is still blinking 154 F, and to make matters worse the coolant falls to 147 F within the span of 15 seconds, then starts to rise slowly. It got to 167 F, as well as the engine oil temp started to rise to about the same temp. Luckily, i was 3 miles from my job when this happened, so I got to job lot ASAP, parked it, popped the hood and did an eye check. No leaks, no smells, coolant seems to be full (Currently waiting for car to cool down to be able to open cap, and check oil dipstick). I will give update on what i find in an hour when I go to look at car.

Some things to know, I am currently due for an oil change, got the kit from ECS and was going to doing to do it this friday (Might do it today now who knows). I AM SCARED that this might be signs of the head bolt issue. This car didnt seem to experience this problem when buying the car from the dealership, but i know it can be spontaneous. Again, this literally happened less than an hour ago as of writing this, and I am currently freaking out mentally and that is why I am posting this. If anyone has experienced anything similar to this, please help. It also might be a bad oil temp sensor, triggering the check engine light (hopefully). Again, will update in an hour.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Probably your thermostat or a temp sensor like you said
Old 01-02-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C63 AMG
Originally Posted by deadlyvt
Probably your thermostat or a temp sensor like you said
I talked to a friend of mine, he thinks the same thing. I will be going to autozone on my way home to get a code read. Also, I checked my oil level, it seems fine in terms of level, the oil seems clean (still time to change it thought) and the coolant reservoir is still filled so it doesnt seem like a big deal. It also sounded fine when I started it. Oh well, we will see. I'm mainly confused why the coolant temp dropped so rapidly when the check engine light came on? Does the thermostat read that too?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Originally Posted by AllmyMoneyGone
I talked to a friend of mine, he thinks the same thing. I will be going to autozone on my way home to get a code read. Also, I checked my oil level, it seems fine in terms of level, the oil seems clean (still time to change it thought) and the coolant reservoir is still filled so it doesnt seem like a big deal. It also sounded fine when I started it. Oh well, we will see. I'm mainly confused why the coolant temp dropped so rapidly when the check engine light came on? Does the thermostat read that too?
they are designed to fail open. Doesn't always happen. But yes if it's stuck open a drop in temp and not increasing temp would make sense. Also I don't know where your at but by me its single digit temps and with an open thermostat would def drop temps quick.