C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milltek, Super sprint or IPE for c63 507?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 507
Originally Posted by thewb
iPE offers headers with sport cats and headers with cat bypass. The cat bypass makes more sound but gives you those smells you're trying to avoid. You pair the iPE sport cat headers with the iPE exhaust and it's a complete full system that gives you not only sound but plenty of torque (+22 ft-lb to be exact).

We're located in Miami, Florida.
Thanks, now I'm weighing up between catback system and header with sport cats these 2 options, in my limited understanding after reading so many threads is that cat back gives u a mild sound a little bit hp gain, but IPE headers + rest of the stock exhaust gives you much louder sound and more hp gain? am i correct? and what does the headers job include? And can i have headers with the valve control set up and how? Coz i think a control should be quite useful if headers + stock exhaust gives a much louder sound. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
C63
Like I said, headers (IPE long tubes which are both headers and mid-pipes) on stock rear section (resonator and two rear silencers) is very loud. Better after a few mild but still very loud although no drone and with cats in the mid-pipes, little smell.

If you have the $$$ then to have the best of both you need a valved rear section, IPE, Agency Power, Akra, whatever. The silencers on these systems are much better sound deadened than stock so naturally will be tamer with the valves closed. The stock system is so loud as it is, as a completely stock system, because it has little sound deadening and with headers is basically a megaphone.

Where are you located? Can you meet with someone who has either option you are considering? Videos don’t do either justice.

By the way, installing headers is a tricky job.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:15 AM

c63 507
Originally Posted by Cozy
Like I said, headers (IPE long tubes which are both headers and mid-pipes) on stock rear section (resonator and two rear silencers) is very loud. Better after a few mild but still very loud although no drone and with cats in the mid-pipes, little smell.

If you have the $$$ then to have the best of both you need a valved rear section, IPE, Agency Power, Akra, whatever. The silencers on these systems are much better sound deadened than stock so naturally will be tamer with the valves closed. The stock system is so loud as it is, as a completely stock system, because it has little sound deadening and with headers is basically a megaphone.

Where are you located? Can you meet with someone who has either option you are considering? Videos don’t do either justice.

By the way, installing headers is a tricky job.
Hi Thanks for your reply! I read your post about your c63! Actually i was encouraged by your post and are now more towards installing the headers rather than cat back, do you have a sound clip or video of your c63 exhaust? That IPE dealer said above I can have IPE headers with sport cat to give less sound and no smell, i could be interested in this option though, I don't want it really loud as i still drive my c63 to meet my clients, and I'm curious if IPE long tube header with stock rear section will be even louder than the full system with valve opened ??

some one suggested me a cat back system is enough for my purpose, but from what i been reading the feedback so far, looks like the cat back system gives not much change in sound and power for the $$$ spent? but i quite like the fact the cat back system gives me the valve control! Damn, hard decision coz I haven't got anyone around me with a c63 with a modified exhaust system, btw, i'm in Auckland New Zealand. I here have the choice of Super sprint and IPE.

Cheers
Old 03-24-2018, 06:36 AM

C63
I wouldn’t bother with a cat-back on its own, only if you were going for headers later on.

When you first fit headers to stock cat-back, it is ungodly loud. I remember thinking WTF have I done and thought that for about 100miles. It then started to deepen a quiet down to a point where now, I guess 1000miles later I smile a lot and appreciate it. No mistake, it’s loud when you push on but it’s a nice sound, real V8 goodness. It doesn’t drone, or shout when you’re cruising, you can pull in and out of city centres, car parks etc going relatively unnoticed unless you floor it. One thing to mention is that cold start is very loud and always will be and warm start sounds like a gun shot, so at gas stations when you start up, people get neck trauma.

I guess I’m not selling it , but it’s not bad at all in my opinion and certainly I wouldn’t feel bad taking it to see clients. It’s really tame cruising, not like a straight-piped Mustang or anything.

I don’t have any videos but I will get some soon if you haven’t made the move. My car it stored October to April generally, but maybe longer this year as winter is holding strong.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 AM

c63 507
I wouldn’t bother with a cat-back on its own, only if you were going for headers later on.

When you first fit headers to stock cat-back, it is ungodly loud. I remember thinking WTF have I done and thought that for about 100miles. It then started to deepen a quiet down to a point where now, I guess 1000miles later I smile a lot and appreciate it. No mistake, it’s loud when you push on but it’s a nice sound, real V8 goodness. It doesn’t drone, or shout when you’re cruising, you can pull in and out of city centres, car parks etc going relatively unnoticed unless you floor it. One thing to mention is that cold start is very loud and always will be and warm start sounds like a gun shot, so at gas stations when you start up, people get neck trauma.

I guess I’m not selling it , but it’s not bad at all in my opinion and certainly I wouldn’t feel bad taking it to see clients. It’s really tame cruising, not like a straight-piped Mustang or anything.

I don’t have any videos but I will get some soon if you haven’t made the move. My car it stored October to April generally, but maybe longer this year as winter is holding strong.
Any particular reason you are not bothered with a cat back system on its own?
My c63 is loud on cold start, after warm up it's extremely quiet like a honda jazz when idling cruising, so after installing the headers, apart from the very loud cold start, what's the sound like when idling? and what do u reckon the sound compared to full ipe exhaust? better or as good? from youtube i think the full exhaust sounds a bit high pitched raspy when high revving, which i didn't quite like.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 AM
SPONSOR

Received 243 Likes on 189 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
Originally Posted by brian 507
Thanks, now I'm weighing up between catback system and header with sport cats these 2 options, in my limited understanding after reading so many threads is that cat back gives u a mild sound a little bit hp gain, but IPE headers + rest of the stock exhaust gives you much louder sound and more hp gain? am i correct? and what does the headers job include? And can i have headers with the valve control set up and how? Coz i think a control should be quite useful if headers + stock exhaust gives a much louder sound. Thanks.
You are correct - on their own the headers would be louder + give you more gains than just the catback. The catback however is the only way to have the valve control.

In my opinion you should go with iPE's sport cat headers since you still need to use your car for work at times. It will be plenty loud when you open her up but tame when doing highway cruising.

My tech usually take about 4 hours to complete a header install on the W204.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Headers and stock rear section is very loud when you get on the gas. Power comes from the headers, and removing the stock cats.
if you want the best of both worlds, get the complete IPE system. Headers with valvetronic rear section.
Then you get the boost in power, and you can be loud when you want, and quiet when you want.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 PM

c63 507
Talking

Originally Posted by thewb
You are correct - on their own the headers would be louder + give you more gains than just the catback. The catback however is the only way to have the valve control.

In my opinion you should go with iPE's sport cat headers since you still need to use your car for work at times. It will be plenty loud when you open her up but tame when doing highway cruising.

My tech usually take about 4 hours to complete a header install on the W204.
thanks, hows sound like when idling, not much change from stock? coz my car is very quiet when idling, guess i can control the sound by how hard im on the gas then?

Last edited by brian 507; 03-25-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:21 AM

2013 c63 AMG
How do i get hold off this IPE headers and does the engine needs to come out of engine mount for install? sorry for the damn question.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:34 AM

c63 507
Super sprint, Kleemann and IPE headers, which one should I go with out of these 3 products? Cheers
Old 03-25-2018, 07:36 AM

C63
My c63 is loud on cold start, after warm up it's extremely quiet like a honda jazz when idling cruising, so after installing the headers, apart from the very loud cold start, what's the sound like when idling? and what do u reckon the sound compared to full ipe exhaust? better or as good? from youtube i think the full exhaust sounds a bit high pitched raspy when high revving, which i didn't quite like.
I wouldn’t bother with a cat-back on its own. It’s expensive, it yields no extra power and they all sound worse than the stock exhaust. I’d only get a cat-back if I had headers and didn’t want the loudness of a stock car-back.

Idling is fine, basically not louder than stock.

The full IPE exhaust (inc headers) with valves closed is about as loud as a full stock but deeper. With the valves open it’s the loudest thing you’ll get aside from full straight pipe. I like it but for me not worth the expense and cutting of my wiring loom to splice in a live wire.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:55 AM

c63 507

I wouldn’t bother with a cat-back on its own. It’s expensive, it yields no extra power and they all sound worse than the stock exhaust. I’d only get a cat-back if I had headers and didn’t want the loudness of a stock car-back.

Idling is fine, basically not louder than stock.

The full IPE exhaust (inc headers) with valves closed is about as loud as a full stock but deeper. With the valves open it’s the loudest thing you’ll get aside from full straight pipe. I like it but for me not worth the expense and cutting of my wiring loom to splice in a live wire.
Thanks, so headers alone is slightly quieter than full exhaust open up right? so after now a few hundred miles, does the sound of your c63 quietened down a bit? and have u heard of other brand of the headers on c63 like super sprint , any comparison? Cheers
Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 AM

C63
Thanks, so headers alone is slightly quieter than full exhaust open up right? so after now a few hundred miles, does the sound of your c63 quietened down a bit? and have u heard of other brand of the headers on c63 like super sprint , any comparison? Cheers
I would say so yes, by a lot and it’s always loud whereas headers on stock cat-back can cruise quietly and no drone.

It does quieten down yes, I am happy with mine after 1k miles. After 300miles it was noticeably settling in.

Supersprint exhausts have amazing quality, they are well known here in Europe and have been around for years. I’ve had them on previous cars that I’ve rallied and they were solid despite the abuse. They are however expensive. I chose IPE for this car as they are the most readily available for RHD cars, whereas American LHD brands don’t always fit so good.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:47 AM
SPONSOR

Received 243 Likes on 189 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
Originally Posted by 245 sleeper
How do i get hold off this IPE headers and does the engine needs to come out of engine mount for install? sorry for the damn question.
You can contact me directly if you'd like to purchase the iPE headers - David@WheelsBoutique.com // 786 249 0127 ext. 2109.

The engine does not need to come out for the headers to be installed.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:49 PM

c63 507

I would say so yes, by a lot and it’s always loud whereas headers on stock cat-back can cruise quietly and no drone.

It does quieten down yes, I am happy with mine after 1k miles. After 300miles it was noticeably settling in.

Supersprint exhausts have amazing quality, they are well known here in Europe and have been around for years. I’ve had them on previous cars that I’ve rallied and they were solid despite the abuse. They are however expensive. I chose IPE for this car as they are the most readily available for RHD cars, whereas American LHD brands don’t always fit so good.
Just forgot one important question, hows the power change after the IPE header, how's the acceleration, faster or slower? coz I heard it may lose torque? and on the highway? Cheers.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:20 PM

Just forgot one important question, hows the power change after the IPE header, how's the acceleration, faster or slower? coz I heard it may lose torque? and on the highway? Cheers.
It's insane. Headers with a proper Dyno tune gives a huge boost in power. I've gained right through the Rev range of the car.
I have run 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile against stock C63's, and I absolutely kill them.
Get the headers, you won't be sorry.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:05 PM

c63 507
Originally Posted by Savage-wp
It's insane. Headers with a proper Dyno tune gives a huge boost in power. I've gained right through the Rev range of the car.
I have run 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile against stock C63's, and I absolutely kill them.
Get the headers, you won't be sorry.
thanks, with headers alone + the rest stock, whats the noise level inside the car when idling or crusing, and any drone? and how does the sound like when downshifting? cheers.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
thanks, with headers alone + the rest stock, whats the noise level inside the car when idling or crusing, and any drone? and how does the sound like when downshifting? cheers.
read post 29 of your own thread.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:47 PM

Inside, it's not loud at all when idling or cruising. And there is no drone.
Downshifts are just awesome.