C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

lifters and front valve cover - time to replace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'10 C63 P30
lifters and front valve cover - time to replace?

Need advice on whether to replace lifters and/or front valve cover.
Doing the HBs on my new-to-me all-original(other than rear shocks) '10 C63 w/96k miles.
There's about a second of start-up chatter(that I hope an adjuster pin-flip solves) and a bit of ticking after warm-up that appears to come from maybe injectors(loudest at intake when scoped), otherwise the top-end is pretty quiet. When doing a fingernail test, the lifters (on DS thus far) all appear smooth except the one pictured that has a hint of glare from an angle (center circle) but the feel is very subtle and that cam lobe is one of the cleanest - all lobes appear fairly clean to this novices eye.
If I was 100% certain this was a keeper (won't know until I push-it -won't push it until I replace the HBs) wouldn't be asking this question(it, amongst a few other things would be done) but looking to keep it budget until then. If a keeper(and it probably is) doubt it would see more than 3K miles of semi-aggressive DD per year and I'm good revisiting the lifters as well as the cams a few years from now. If those more familiar with this than me (my 1st) feel replacing here is a no brainer, my cheap-a$$ could use the push.

The front valve cover is something I haven't seen discussed here and I had no intention of addressing until I saw it mentioned in one of Tasos videos - the 3 ring grooves pictured are both visibly obvious as well as easily felt via fingernail - I would think this normal for most (if not all) cars with this many miles but don't here about it being replaced - thoughts?

Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 PM

'10 C63 P30

bottom front lifer

Last edited by gmore; 04-15-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: pic not posting
Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 PM

'10 C63 P30

sorry for bombarding with pics (if I am?)
1 pic shows up for me on Explorer and the other on Chrome?
hopefully 3rd time a charm...
Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe P31 Magnuson Super Charged
I'd like to know this too but for a 2012 year.