C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Unexpected dyno results

Old 07-08-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63s AMG
Unexpected dyno results

Hello guys, I live in Hawaii and did my first dyno run yesterday. Numbers were much lower than expected. Guys at rads had a difficult time getting consistent numbers. Ended up putting the car in manual shift mode with esp and traction control off. Did two pulls in 4th and one in 5th.
Afterwords I did some research and found out that there is actually a dyno mode for our cars that disables ABS, power steering, traction control etc etc. Not sure if that would make more difference for my numbers or not though.I figured I would have been atleast 450whp given my current mods which are:Eurocharge V5 tuneMHP Longtube headers with mid-pipe and x-pipeDeleted primary and secondary catsDo you guys have any thoughts or insights?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe
Since you're also on Oahu, I'll respond. Kind of. You're going to need to provide a lot more info to get an idea of what might be going on with your car. That picture leaves out a ton of information (e.g., miles/condition of car, confirmed no leaks around the intake manifold, etc., a/f ratio during the pulls, are they showing STD or SAE, correction factor). There can be a lot of variance between dynos, so that's why most people agree that they are tuning tools... I don't know if RAD's is generous dyno or a "heartbreaker" since I've not used their dyno for my stuff.

I generally agree that regardless of those things, there appears to be something going on with your car as 400 whp on a dynojet for a tuned LTH car is low. However, you just haven't given anyone any information to take a stab at what that is. Are you sure the tune you have was written for the LTH?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63s AMG
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this was my first ever dyno experience and I did not get a print out or screen shot of all the variablea you mentioned (A/F ratios, SAE correction, etc etc) I can confirm though that I bought the car brand new and it currently has about 47K miles. No noticible leaks at the exaust manifold. The Eurocharges V5 tune I have is infact for the LTH's. I think I will go to another shop with a dyno to see if I get different results. Thanks again for your feedback it was much appreciated.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Is an intake manifold gasket leak going to throw a code resulting in a check engine light? Just curious how one might know or not if they have a leak.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:03 AM

Not the exhaust manifolds (you don't even have those any more), but the intake manifold. They develop leaks routinely. If you search for it, there are instructions on how to test. It's pretty simple. At the next shop, be sure to put it in dyno mode to rule out that. Hawaii Performance Technology is pretty good. I brought my Lightning there for my tuner to tune about 4 years ago. Their dyno read pretty consistently with what others typically saw around the country with similar modifications (and what the tuner generally expected), so I think they set up the dyno and maintain it well - they aren't just trying to read high. I'll likely rent their dyno for my Lotus once the lava flow quits screwing up my tuner's schedule. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ShaneN.
Is an intake manifold gasket leak going to throw a code resulting in a check engine light? Just curious how one might know or not if they have a leak.
I've not experienced it on mine, but from everything I've read - it depends. Many do not throw a code unless the leak is really really bad.