Sponsored by:

Weird sounds after catch can install.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 11:56 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Weird sounds after catch can install.

I had injectors, spark plugs, weistec catch can and an oil change with 2 cans of ceratec all done today at my trusted indy (a friend who used to work at mercedes). The shop did a nice clean install, zip tied up all the hoses, everything looks good. About 45 mins after leaving the the shop I hear what sounds like someone vaccuming their car in the parking lot beside me. I pull into a strip mall and as I'm driving past stores I can hear the sound bouncing off the windows... it's me. I pulled over and recorded the below video. It legit sounds like a loud household vacuum, much louder than my fans or anything. I turned off the car and it stopped. I went shopping for 5-10 mins, came back out and it didnt make the sound again upon startup. I called the shop and he wanted me to undo the oil cap to see if the sound stopped and/or if the cap was suctioned on really hard - but the noise had stopped when I came back out to try.

Also, is it normal for the actual catch can to be really hot to the touch? I won't have any hot oil in it yet but I assume hot air circulates through it so that's likely normal? I was monitoring my oil temp gauges and my temp was a bit higher than normal at 110C but doing a quick search on here that seems normal when running in manual mode for whatever reason, and I happened to be in manual mode in stop and go traffic - so I don't think temp was any higher with the can or anything. Not that it should be. Anyways, anyone know what on earth this sound was?

Turn your sound up, the video knocks down the volume level a bit. You can tell it's much louder than my injectors/valvetrain:

Hood closed:

Hood open:

Last edited by ShaneN.; 07-11-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Totally normal sound. Aux oil cooler fan. Comes on at 235F and off once oil is back down to 221F
The following users liked this post:
ShaneN. (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Catch can shouldn’t be that hot though, especially where it’s mounted. Can you see where the hoses go?
ShaneN. (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:42 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Totally normal sound. Aux oil cooler fan. Comes on at 235F and off once oil is back down to 221F
​​​​​​
Is that different than the fans that would stay on after I turn off the car? It's louder than a typical electric fan sound, the video doesn't really show how loud it was. It also stopped when I shut down the car and I wasn't even driving the car hard at all (was in traffic), plus it was only about 23C outside. I've never heard my car make that sound, ever. The sound didn't really sound like a fan, more like a super loud house hold vacuum noise is the best way to describe it. I just went and ripped around for an hour and didn't hear it again and the temp outside is the same.

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Catch can shouldn’t be that hot though, especially where it’s mounted. Can you see where the hoses go?
I wonder if maybe it's just from the heat under the hood. when I was looking around for where the sound was coming from I kind of just laid my hand on the top of it and it was rather hot. I can make a video of exactly where they go in the morning, but is there really a way to screw up where they go? I supplied the instructions and a link to the board talking about being careful around the vac line fitting. Or do you mean maybe the hoses are rooter too close to the exhaust manifold? I'll attach a quick little video I put on my IG story, but in the morning I'll take more detailed pics for you too.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 07-11-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
You certainly have a.. verbose style of writing...

How long have you had your car? Have you driven it in the heat before? These cars make a lot of noises that might otherwise sound weird were they coming from different cars. If you said it didn't come back and it didn't affect driving in any way, I wouldn't worry too much.
ShaneN. (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Seriously? I tell you what the noise is and you still question? It comes from the right wheel well/bumper area because it’s the oil cooler fan. It kicked on when it got hot. It wasn't there when you restarted because the car had cooled off. It’s going to take you a lot longer to find or get answers if you ask every question twice.
ShaneN. (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Seriously? I tell you what the noise is and you still question? It comes from the right wheel well/bumper area because it’s the oil cooler fan. It kicked on when it got hot. It wasn't there when you restarted because the car had cooled off. It’s going to take you a lot longer to find or get answers if you ask every question twice.
Lol, Chris. No one ever believes me either when I post. As for the hot catch can, mine gets hot too. I always thought it was getting hot because it's next to the hot engine. Everything in my engine bay gets hot.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:40 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by G_Money
You certainly have a.. verbose style of writing...

How long have you had your car? Have you driven it in the heat before? These cars make a lot of noises that might otherwise sound weird were they coming from different cars. If you said it didn't come back and it didn't affect driving in any way, I wouldn't worry too much.
LOL I've noticed I do that on this forum too when I'm trying to describe stuff, I keep having to go back and edit where I've repeated myself - just trying to describe as well as possible. Had it 9 months. I've driven it in hotter weather than 23c and harder, that's why it seemed weird it came on. I was in manual in heavy traffic though. It just seemed weird it was right after all that work.
My bad if it came off that way but I didn't not believe you, I'm on here asking opinions on a car I'm still not familiar with cuz I know you guys know these things. I was just trying to make it clear that it didn't sound like a fan and wasn't that hot or driven hard , in my described verbose-y way, to see if that's still what you figured it was. Lol. That's exactly where it was coming from though, right at the front there. What an embarrassingly loud noise.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 07-11-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:44 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
Lol, Chris. No one ever believes me either when I post. As for the hot catch can, mine gets hot too. I always thought it was getting hot because it's next to the hot engine. Everything in my engine bay gets hot.
I figure that's maybe what it is given that is aluminum (I think) trapped in a hot engine bay. I guess I just didn't expect that, but even my hood was warm to the touch at that point too. As long as you guys think those hoses aren't routed where they're too close to anything too hot then I'm not too worried about it.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Well wouldn't it make sense that the catch can get really hot? Its circulating oil vapor from the crank right?
BalanBro (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C
Well wouldn't it make sense that the catch can get really hot? Its circulating oil vapor from the crank right?
At first im thinking well there has got to be no hot oil in it yet but yes, I think you're right? To be honest I don't even know how they really work.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​On a side note, ceratec wouldn't make the oil run a few degrees higher would it ?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
Totally normal sound. As mentioned, your oil got hot thus the aux oil cooler kicked in. Nothing to worry about.

Nope, not at all. That would just be your driving, especially if your in manual mode!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
My bad if it came off that way but I didn't not believe you, I'm on here asking opinions on a car I'm still not familiar with cuz I know you guys know these things. I was just trying to make it clear that it didn't sound like a fan and wasn't that hot or driven hard , in my described verbose-y way, to see if that's still what you figured it was. Lol. That's exactly where it was coming from though, right at the front there. What an embarrassingly loud noise.
No worries. Enjoy the car!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I bet you were that little kid who would never stop asking questions
Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I assume you don't have a CEL?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:51 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I bet you were that little kid who would never stop asking questions
I turned 34 today, so now I'm the big kid who never stops asking questions

Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
I assume you don't have a CEL?
Nope. Went out tonight and actually ripped around in the car, maxed the temp a degree or two higher at 113f, no fan. Oh well it's clearly not a big deal, just seemed weird I'd never had it come on before especially given I was just stuck in traffic.