C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Purchase Advice (Out of state/Private)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Audi S8
Purchase Advice (Out of state/Private)

I'm looking at buying a 2012 C63 from a private seller out of state. Has anyone done this in the past? The vehicle has a clean carfax and is still under MB warranty, so I'm not as concerned about the mechanicals. It's a distance, so would prefer to ship versus drive back, which also is prohibitive to see in person. Any recommendations of a shipper or otherwise?
Old 08-27-2018, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I would still have a shop do a PPI, or at least have a member locally try and look at it. clean carfax doesn't mean that much to me. I have seen plenty of wrecked cars with a clean carfax. people can be shady and have it fixed without it reported. I'll let others chime in about shipping. I have only shipped a corolla. are you looking for enclosed shipping? also, shipping in the summer is more expensive than winter.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:04 PM

2003 Audi S8
Would I have an indy do that? It's been serviced at the dealer. Enclosed shipping would be my preference.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
A good indy shop, especially one that knows Mercedes would be preferable. I have a distrust for the dealer. they are in the business of selling cars. indy shops have much less traffic and rely on word of mouth and reputation to stay afloat. plus an indy shop will generally be cheaper. if the car was serviced at the dealer, see if the owner can pull the service records also (if they don't keep track of all that like I do. I have a giant binder with my receipts from everything). I totally understand servicing the car at the dealer while under warranty. that gives people a warm and fuzzy, but a PPI can be done by competent shops with no impact on the warranty.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 PM

Received 228 Likes on 152 Posts
I can be OCD, and personally would never buy a vehicle sight unseen unless already built a trusting relationship with seller. Even then it can be a roll of the dice.
Too much involved with a vehicle, and it deserves a first person inspection and test drive.
A 3rd party PPI as Chris mentioned is another great idea.

For shipping, especially long distances, would highly recommend enclosed carry via Passport Transport - used them on 2 cross country transports and they were meticulous and uber professional, and well priced compared to other outfits.
They regularly ship museum pieces, and vehicles exceeding 1 Mil valuation. On one transport, there was a ~3 Mil or so classic from a private collection, sitting directly below my lowly AMG in the transport truck.
Open carry transport carries risk of rock chips, road debris, etc etc.
Another outfit that is highly regarded is Reliable Carriers (orange trucks).
Whichever shipper you decide, make sure they are fully licensed and insured. Have heard a few horror stories from the bidding type shipper services - would be very wary of these.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by MBNRG
I can be OCD, and personally would never buy a vehicle sight unseen unless already built a trusting relationship with seller. Even then it can be a roll of the dice.
Too much involved with a vehicle, and it deserves a first person inspection and test drive.
A 3rd party PPI as Chris mentioned is another great idea.

For shipping, especially long distances, would highly recommend enclosed carry via Passport Transport - used them on 2 cross country transports and they were meticulous and uber professional, and well priced compared to other outfits.
They regularly ship museum pieces, and vehicles exceeding 1 Mil valuation. On one transport, there was a ~3 Mil or so classic from a private collection, sitting directly below my lowly AMG in the transport truck.
Open carry transport carries risk of rock chips, road debris, etc etc.
Another outfit that is highly regarded is Reliable Carriers (orange trucks).
Whichever shipper you decide, make sure they are fully licensed and insured. Have heard a few horror stories from the bidding type shipper services - would be very wary of these.
100% agree would never buy sight unseen.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 GLC 63 AMG Coupe
I recently purchased my 2015 C63 507 edition from Atlanta and I am in California.

Things to consider: Carfax, mileage, records, 3rd party inspection (pay for enhanced report $250-$400), enclosed transportation (recommend Reliable Transporters) vs open.

Good luck -
Old 08-28-2018, 12:00 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
How far out of state is this car? You have to keep in mind the distance in regards to your enclosed shipping costs. My BS was shipped from Atlanta to Dallas for $1500 via JP Logestics. They’re the carrier for Bugatti, Rolls Royce, McLaren NA, etc. I would’ve had it in a day’s time if the driver didn’t get pulled over lol. This was a couple days before Christmas so a 1.5 day turnaround was amazing. I dealt with the previous owner/selling dealer when I purchased mine sight unseen. It was on consignment at Lamborghini of Atlanta. It arrived even better than described.

It all depends on YOUR comfort level, and the vibes you get from the dealer/private seller. When you tend to get into the more expensive range of cars ($80k+), the vehicles are usually as described, and for the most part well taken care of. Just my personal experience.

I skipped the PPI as it was still under factory warranty including prepaid maintenance. The dealer did their own “PPI” and said it was clean. Not that I’d trust a selling dealer’s PPI anyways. But for a peace of mind a third party PPI wouldn’t hurt.

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 08-28-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
A CPO car or from a known reputable exotics dealer - no worries sight unseen.

From a private owner - you must be joking.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:14 PM

2003 Audi S8
Thanks everyone. I'm going to end up flying down to check it out. If it meets expectations, more fun to drive back then to ship.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2019 GLE 63S AMG, 2009 C63
Originally Posted by csandbothe
Thanks everyone. I'm going to end up flying down to check it out. If it meets expectations, more fun to drive back then to ship.
That can be one of life's great little pleasures...a long drive home in a great new (to you) car.
Good luck!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
That sounds great hopefully it all is good and the drive will feel short enjoying a new to you car!
Old 08-31-2018, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Good choice. I decided to fly down and inspect mine out when I originally got it as well.