MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   MAGNUSON Superchargers and belt slippage in peticular magnuson c63 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/728456-magnuson-superchargers-belt-slippage-peticular-magnuson-c63.html)

ceesixthree 11-26-2018 08:06 PM

MAGNUSON Superchargers and belt slippage in peticular magnuson c63

Everytim i give it it a flog even just a little one the belt jumps off or shreds on gear change.

Its supposed to be bolt on not pay extra for sledgehammer kit so its 8 ribs and supposed to stop the issue. But 2.5k for a pulley setup is dolars.

Anyone have any insight?

hachiroku 11-26-2018 08:13 PM

you are on factory boost? i recall someone stating once you go 1 or 2 steps larger (whatever that psi is) you'll have possibility for belt slip.

blackbenzz 11-26-2018 09:58 PM

All your pulleys properly aligned? Correct belt size?

ceesixthree 11-26-2018 10:53 PM

Yes factory boost, pulleys are good. It slips under full load and must sometimes jump. Itsmore first 2nd gear high revs like a drag race.

Never had the problem before magnuson.

Im sick of belts going it is supposed to be oem like kit and it is awesome dont get me wrong drivable, better than stock, power, cant fault it (touch woodf) but im slipping the belt you can see wear on the ribs of slippage too.

I need an 8 rib or the sledgehammer kit. No one else seems to have had a problem though.

I ight email magnuson
​​

Southways 11-27-2018 05:35 AM

Some initial thoughts for checking:
  • Have you replaced the tensioner? If not, do so. If you have, is it a genuine (Gates) unit ... there are cheaper copies that flex badly.
  • Have you checked the engine coolant pump bearings are still good? There will sometimes (usually) be evidence of coolant leaking, but I have experienced a GM pump that had very bad bearing but still sealed.
  • Have you checked/replaced the idler pulleys? They are renown for premature failure and have caused belts to escape even without supercharging.
  • You indicate the "pulleys are good". How did you check. The best (nearly only) way is with a laser alignment tool.
I know of one other install that had issues - it was cured by replacing the tensioner & idler pulleys.

Also... Different belt brands can produce different results. The Magnuson-branded belt supplied with the kit is a purpose-built belt from Gates - it is a grade between "FleetRunner" & "Carbon Race".

ceesixthree 11-27-2018 06:27 AM

Funny you say that it sheared my water pumo shaft off.

I might do to a different shop. Get them to check alignment and why. These guys are seeming a bit hopeless if there fix is dont get up it ful l throttle and wait for a sledgehammer kit. Thats not correct way to fix it. Really ****ting me now.

Thanks for your response.

ceesixthree 11-27-2018 06:29 AM

Belts is just plain rubber not the green one because it wont fit spprently unless tske off the bottom idler next to crack which isnt correct either.

Wtf it cant be that hard. I was a mech we did correct work why cant someone else. They are good at the cars they do maybe just not mercs.

Southways 11-27-2018 06:35 AM

If the engine is bouncing off the limiter, something will have to give. Have you ever seen a slow-motion video of what happens to the drive belt on ANY car when it hits the limiter - let alone what happens with the inertia of a supercharger! It is as scary as hell - find a video & it will cure your rev-limiter addiction. I would always rather a belt slip than break some hard-part.
Of course, the best way is a SledgeHammer kit ... I have them ready to ship. :)

Southways 11-27-2018 06:37 AM

Where are you based (geographically).

ceesixthree 11-27-2018 12:19 PM

Dont get me wrong i would highly recommend tthe kit to anyone but Yeah i guess i just drive like a maniac. But it has happened before. I can imagine what the belt is doing so in my head the mechanic says **** happens but the consumer says its supposed to be bolt on and go.

Im aus. How much will you sting me on a sledge hammer? And where are you? I dont wamt to up the boost yet or prob never i ususally drive a lot and have it tuned to a streetable and sweet spot and it still hauls ass.

mr747 11-27-2018 04:53 PM

Ken is in Melbourne go see the boys at VCM they will sort it

Just upgrade boost is your friend :)

ceesixthree 11-29-2018 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Southways (Post 7614184)
Where are you based (geographically).

How much for 8 rib kit shipped to aus mate?

ceesixthree 11-29-2018 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by mr747 (Post 7614726)
Ken is in Melbourne go see the boys at VCM they will sort it

Just upgrade boost is your friend :)

yeah spoke with .ken via email. Might just get it. I actually really need it the way i drive and boost is an option but prob need bigger injectors then ill snap and break drive line parts mine is plenty quick but i want bit more haha

AMG6.3 11-29-2018 10:26 PM

Shredding of belt is due to pulley miss alignment

Gsrchris 03-01-2019 08:02 AM

I went thru 4 belts until I found that one of my UPD pulleys wasn't lined up properly. Going to re-align and install a new belt and hopefully my blower will run without problems. I upgraded the Gates belt to a green heavy duty belt.