MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   HELP ME- Choosing my Next Mod (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/729917-help-me-choosing-my-next-mod.html)

Crya 12-11-2018 08:11 PM

HELP ME- Choosing my Next Mod

It's that time of year where through a combination of good luck, smart moves, and a little bit of good weather, I'm receiving a little holiday bonus. I've got roughly $1,000 to spend on the next mod. Some of the things I'm considering are:
1. East Coast Euro Mounts and Labor for Install.
2. Powder coat some new wheels and upgrade my brake pads for some track duty.
3. Eurocharged E85 Tune and Handheld.
4. Set of tires for the new wheels and skip the powder coat.

Let me know your thoughts. The context is this is my daily driver but had a great time at several track days last summer and look forward to more. Frankly, I probably have enough power at the moment so am looking at more chassis/ wheels upgrades.

chrisridebike8 12-11-2018 08:21 PM

A tune wakes the car up so much! The rest you can do when they wear out.

Crya 12-11-2018 08:52 PM

Thanks agreed. I meant to convey going from a current tune of unknown provenance that came with car to the EC E85 setup since I have their kit already. Obviously if I didn’t already have a tune it would be a no-brainer and I’d go tune. But other items still have their appeal.

BLKROKT 12-11-2018 09:33 PM

Front and rear sways and endlinks. Or set that money aside for headbolts if you haven't replaced.

chrisridebike8 12-11-2018 10:08 PM

Oh yeah. Headbolts. Peace of mind. I heard there are some good shops in the bay area that will do them for like $3k using the one bolt at a time method.

Crya 12-11-2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7627232)
Front and rear sways and endlinks. Or set that money aside for headbolts if you haven't replaced.

Hey Jim I was considering your endlinks. I’m on stock P30 suspension though and so wasn’t certain of the benefits since I wouldn’t be adjusting for aftermarket. For the benefit of others with stock, could you describe if your super beef endlinks would help control/stiffen up everything? Did you end up making this batch with the shorter hex body to allow them to adjust to stock length?

Crya 12-11-2018 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7627255)
Oh yeah. Headbolts. Peace of mind. I heard there are some good shops in the bay area that will do them for like $3k using the one bolt at a time method.

oooh we do? Do tell! I can’t tell you how deep in the sand my head is buried when it comes to doing this. I’ve had it for a year and have 70,000 miles. One idea might be just stop spending and save for a FL!

chrisridebike8 12-11-2018 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7627275)

oooh we do? Do tell! I can’t tell you how deep in the sand my head is buried when it comes to doing this. I’ve had it for a year and have 70,000 miles. One idea might be just stop spending and save for a FL!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...bolt-work.html

curt.r 12-12-2018 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7627164)
It's that time of year where through a combination of good luck, smart moves, and a little bit of good weather, I'm receiving a little holiday bonus. I've got roughly $1,000 to spend on the next mod. Some of the things I'm considering are:
1. East Coast Euro Mounts and Labor for Install.
2. Powder coat some new wheels and upgrade my brake pads for some track duty.
3. Eurocharged E85 Tune and Handheld.
4. Set of tires for the new wheels and skip the powder coat.

Let me know your thoughts. The context is this is my daily driver but had a great time at several track days last summer and look forward to more. Frankly, I probably have enough power at the moment so am looking at more chassis/ wheels upgrades.

Since you're into tracking your car, how about some coilovers? I know KW v3's cost an arm and a leg, but what are your thoughts on BC Racing coils?
http://www.modbargains.com/bc-racing...04-c63-amg.htm

chrisridebike8 12-12-2018 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by curt.r (Post 7627328)
Since you're into tracking your car, how about some coilovers? I know KW v3's cost an arm and a leg, but what are your thoughts on BC Racing coils?
http://www.modbargains.com/bc-racing...04-c63-amg.htm

he said he had $1000. No way you can get KWs for that. And the P30 suspension is supposedly pretty good on track. And even a stock base suspension is more than capable for most people.

curt.r 12-12-2018 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7627336)

he said he had $1000. No way you can get KWs for that. And the P30 suspension is supposedly pretty good on track. And even a stock base suspension is more than capable for most people.

Exactly, hence why I mentioned BC Racing coilovers. There's always room for improvement with the C63 when it comes to suspension IMHO.

BLKROKT 12-12-2018 04:08 AM

I think curt is on the right track. Springs (~$250) and sways (~$250), maybe some KMAC bushings (~$250) or adj camber plates (~$350) if you have enough leftover, would get you a great handling car.

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7627272)
Hey Jim I was considering your endlinks. I’m on stock P30 suspension though and so wasn’t certain of the benefits since I wouldn’t be adjusting for aftermarket. For the benefit of others with stock, could you describe if your super beef endlinks would help control/stiffen up everything? Did you end up making this batch with the shorter hex body to allow them to adjust to stock length?

Yeah you don't really need the adj endlinks if you don't have coilovers or aren't slammed and snapping OE endlinks. I don't think there's any benefit to an otherwise stock suspension.

chrisridebike8 12-12-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by curt.r (Post 7627362)
Exactly, hence why I mentioned BC Racing coilovers. There's always room for improvement with the C63 when it comes to suspension IMHO.

apparently I can’t read very well right before bed. That makes more sense

Crya 12-12-2018 10:43 AM

Great suggestions, stuff I hadn't really considered re suspension. I'm kinda out in the sticks so had been hesitant to mess with suspension because I don't have any confidence there's anyone in my area that would understand the KMACs or coilovers etc...
But perhaps I'll dig deeper. Also, I feel like I should learn the limitations of my stock suspension on the track before moving on. Something to keep in mind!

Adi-Benz 12-12-2018 04:52 PM

+1 headbolts

Crya 12-21-2018 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Adi-Benz (Post 7627971)
+1 headbolts

I looked into headbolts. Was quoted $3,000 for the job including updated buckets. It'll be something to build a fund for. For purposes of this poll, I totally went off script when I found some CF mirrors available. I ended up deciding that direction because it was easier honestly, and still a little concerned about changing tunes. Thanks all for voting!
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...32bb913b6c.jpg

curt.r 12-21-2018 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7635526)
I looked into headbolts. Was quoted $3,000 for the job including updated buckets. It'll be something to build a fund for. For purposes of this poll, I totally went off script when I found some CF mirrors available. I ended up deciding that direction because it was easier honestly, and still a little concerned about changing tunes. Thanks all for voting!

Nice CF mirrors, where'd you get them? Also it just dawned on me but since you occasionally bring your car to the track, what about about investing in a partial clear bra wrap for the car?

Crya 01-04-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by curt.r (Post 7635831)
Nice CF mirrors, where'd you get them? Also it just dawned on me but since you occasionally bring your car to the track, what about about investing in a partial clear bra wrap for the car?

I just got em from the Marketplace. They were posted and never sold.

Looking more into steering stuff. Anyone else picked up the thrust arms/control arms from FCP/Syncro Design? There's only one review on the site. Still not sure which is the preferred term when referring to these? Thrust arm or Control arm, and is it the "upper" or the "lower". I figure this could refresh my steering given my car's age/mileage...
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...s-mbcakit#desc
https://dyw03owr7vs3n.cloudfront.net...jpg?1525271115

BLKROKT 01-04-2019 12:26 PM

Before FCP started offering those for sale, I contacted SDW to make me a set. It’s a thrust arm or upper control arm, same thing. My thrust arm bushings were distorting on track under load and I expect these to make a big difference with turn-in quickness and placement. Haven’t gotten them in yet with my move and all, but will before spring. I also expect for the ride to be harsher than it already is, if that’s even possible, so just be aware of that.

Crya 01-04-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7645663)
Before FCP started offering those for sale, I contacted SDW to make me a set. It’s a thrust arm or upper control arm, same thing. My thrust arm bushings were distorting on track under load and I expect these to make a big difference with turn-in quickness and placement. Haven’t gotten them in yet with my move and all, but will before spring. I also expect for the ride to be harsher than it already is, if that’s even possible, so just be aware of that.

Cool I figured you had them in already when you threw the rest of the parts catalogue at the suspension! Maybe this is an FCP exclusive as the W204 parts don't show on the SDW website. Maybe this hasn't caught on but from more reading seems like it could really make a noticeable difference. Sure not as sexy as tunes and chasing HP gains, but this should be a popular mod.

FCPEuro 01-04-2019 01:29 PM

The ride is no harsher fortunately, steering feel is noticeably improved.

--Kyle

Crya 01-04-2019 02:01 PM

Hey thanks Kyle. Any idea how many hours of labor one might expect for these bad boys?

FCPEuro 01-04-2019 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7645747)
Hey thanks Kyle. Any idea how many hours of labor one might expect for these bad boys?

1.5 hours book time to do both sides.

MBNRG 01-06-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by FCPEuro (Post 7645728)
The ride is no harsher fortunately, steering feel is noticeably improved.

--Kyle

Thank you Kyle and FCP crew for another great offering :y

1. Are these Front OE Lemforder Upper Control / Thrust Arms via FCP/SDW the same beefiness as the OEM C63 Arms?

2. Is there anything with similar monoball bushings for the Lower Control Arms for the C63?

Crya 02-11-2019 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by FCPEuro (Post 7645754)
1.5 hours book time to do both sides.

Check your PMs playa!