randomly getting auto lamp function inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
randomly getting auto lamp function inoperative

this starting a few weeks ago where this message would pop up on the dash randomly. i searched the forum to look for similar issues but most of them talk about the wipers not working as well. that's not the case with me. wipers and wiper fluid all work correctly. i've noticed 2 things when this happens in my car.

1. when this message pops up while driving during daylight when the headlights are normally off, it will turn my headlights on and they will stay on. i have to manually turn the switch to off to be able to turn the headlights off. the issue goes away after a restart and may come back again with the error message. it hasn't been consistent with the amount of time it takes to come on.

2. when this message comes on at night while in auto mode or manual on mode where the headlights are normally on, the dash brightness increases as if it thinks i'm driving in the day. thankfully it's not super super bright but it's still annoying to drive like that. aside from pulling over and restarting the car, i haven't found a workaround.

do i just need a new sensor?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Subbed I have the same issue, today was -35 out with wind chill if didn't go on. Last week it came on when it was +4 I'm at a loss. I thought it had to do with the motor warming up but it's just all over the place. I'm going to start logging it in a book since I scanned the car and no codes where found.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
bump
Old 03-20-2024, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 4W Lorinser, 2001 E430 4W
Bump. Also getting this problem on my W212. I notice too that my high beam assist is not sensitive enough, e.g., it doesn’t dim when I’m behind someone until I’m right up behind them.