C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Cams

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Talking Cams

Okay I know this is a dumb option for power, but I just want to know why do the MHP cams quote 80hp and the VRP cams quote 20hp? Whats accurate?
Also has anyone ever asked comp cams if they would grind some? I messaged them, will update you. Group buy to entice them?

Amazon Amazon
https://vrpspeed.com/index.php?route...product_id=443
Old 02-26-2019, 11:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 e63S, 2017 Audi R8 Twin Turbo
$3,000 for m156 cams isn't a bad price, but how accurate the power gains are that is another story. If they are accurate then thats a great deal.

With the price of these cars reducing so much, I expect to see a lot more exploration with performance and the prices of some mods coming down.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
There’s definitely some room for power from modified cams as the stock ones are pretty tame... it more about nailing the tune down afterwards I think that may be the issue especially with the variable cam timing
Old 02-27-2019, 08:56 AM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Talking

Michael,
At this present, their is not enough demand for us to really design cams for those engines. By the time you look at engineering time & fee's,
the cost of the cam cores plus grind times probably would not justify us carrying this family. Not to say that we wouldn't down the road.

But, you could send your cam in for profiling and we possibly could re-grind your cam for some improved performance.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 6:19 AM COMP Cams Cam Help <camhelp@compcams.com> wrote:
Would you ever design custom cams for a 6.2l dohc amg motor? M156 for
reference. What if I had a group buy of 5/10 people? I could send stocks
in for reference. Thanks for your time!
Maybe if we get enough people interested, we can get comp to make some nasty cams for us

Old 02-27-2019, 08:58 AM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by deadlyvt
There’s definitely some room for power from modified cams as the stock ones are pretty tame... it more about nailing the tune down afterwards I think that may be the issue especially with the variable cam timing
Couldn't we just disable that? Adapt a similar profile to a big American V8?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by mbellew937
Couldn't we just disable that? Adapt a similar profile to a big American V8?
Um sure. What's the point of keeping the motor if you're just going to discard the technical bits that make it what it is? Just do an LS swap and be done if you want a car with an American V8. Better yet, just buy a Camaro and call it good.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:16 PM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Angry

Originally Posted by Ludedude
Um sure. What's the point of keeping the motor if you're just going to discard the technical bits that make it what it is? Just do an LS swap and be done if you want a car with an American V8. Better yet, just buy a Camaro and call it good.
I mean, sure that makes sense. A honda without v-tech isn't a honda motor anymore either, right?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Ford G6E Turbo / 2013 C63 Coupe - AMG Performance Pack
Potential problem with bigger cams is that they may need stiffer valve springs or the stock springs shimmed for more seat pressure. In that case, the higher spring pressure may not play nice with the variable cam timing unit or will at least end its life sooner rather than later. I'm not sure I'd want to lose the VCT as they generally broaden the torque/hp curve.

I'm a rooky with the C63 platform but have had to tame back the cam and spring choice on my last modded car to keep the fairly basic VCT system alive and even then it wasn't totally happy. I ran an aftermarket ECU (Autronic) on that car and the tuner could play around with rpm activation/deactivation points. There was a noticeable difference in low end torque from as little as 1,000 rpm when it was activated.

Last edited by juggernaut1; 02-27-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:08 PM

2014 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by mbellew937
I mean, sure that makes sense. A honda without v-tech isn't a honda motor anymore either, right?
I don't recall seeing many (any?) DOHC motors that don't have some form of variable valve timing to make them work better. American V8s that are DOHC also have variable valve timing; the LS series V8s making big power with cams are simple pushrod motors (I had one). When has a Honda motor been improved by removing VTEC?

All that ignores the fact that you're going to lose more by not having the variable valve timing than you will gain by running some high lift cams and just looking for peak hp.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:48 PM

I don't recall seeing many (any?) DOHC motors that don't have some form of variable valve timing to make them work better. American V8s that are DOHC also have variable valve timing; the LS series V8s making big power with cams are simple pushrod motors (I had one). When has a Honda motor been improved by removing VTEC?

All that ignores the fact that you're going to lose more by not having the variable valve timing than you will gain by running some high lift cams and just looking for peak hp.
I don't want to be that guy, but all motor drag Honda's do not run VTEC. They actually use cams with very high profiles.

The m156 has a few flaws that are being correct now with cares becoming more affordable. The tuning options up until now where very limited, but how we have things like HP Tuners (who just released a new hardware component that allows for more features) and we have a full standalone options that is about $2,500 USD from Syvecs. I'm all about the standalone ecu it should allow for some new and exciting things to happen like more companies investing in cam r&d or maybe even a few more turbo builds.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:37 AM

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
2012 C63, GL63, 1989 300CE
Dumb question: Would a tune be needed for a reprofiled cam?
Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 PM

2014 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by iShootYou
I don't want to be that guy, but all motor drag Honda's do not run VTEC. They actually use cams with very high profiles.

The m156 has a few flaws that are being correct now with cares becoming more affordable. The tuning options up until now where very limited, but how we have things like HP Tuners (who just released a new hardware component that allows for more features) and we have a full standalone options that is about $2,500 USD from Syvecs. I'm all about the standalone ecu it should allow for some new and exciting things to happen like more companies investing in cam r&d or maybe even a few more turbo builds.
Fair enough. I guess if I understood the objective better, it would be easier to comment with some level of sanity. Sure, the Honda motor that doesn't make power until 4500 RPM but redlines at 9500 will make peak HP with no VTEC and is great for drag racing. On the street, GTFO with that crap (and as a previous owner of one of those 9000 RPM redline F20 motors, I've been there). If the aim is to build an NA M156 powered C63 drag car, I guess you don't need VVT but some of the charm of these motors is that they make torque everywhere and are quite driveable in many conditions. You're going to lose that capability. If you're doing it just because you can, I fail to see the attraction of a 4K lb entry luxury car with poor driveability but so be it, I don't have to understand it lol.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by iShootYou

interested in that new hardware hp tuners has. Any more info on that?

from what I've seen know one can make decent power yet using them.

I think the highest is like 452whp so far on qualudes car with full bolt on.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:23 PM

2012 C63 AMG Coupe
I wanna know about HP tuners too
Old 02-28-2019, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I think celicasaur had tuned his car with hp tubers and had quite a few horses over 425... around 500 if I remember correct

Last edited by deadlyvt; 02-28-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:38 PM

Fair enough. I guess if I understood the objective better, it would be easier to comment with some level of sanity. Sure, the Honda motor that doesn't make power until 4500 RPM but redlines at 9500 will make peak HP with no VTEC and is great for drag racing. On the street, GTFO with that crap (and as a previous owner of one of those 9000 RPM redline F20 motors, I've been there). If the aim is to build an NA M156 powered C63 drag car, I guess you don't need VVT but some of the charm of these motors is that they make torque everywhere and are quite driveable in many conditions. You're going to lose that capability. If you're doing it just because you can, I fail to see the attraction of a 4K lb entry luxury car with poor driveability but so be it, I don't have to understand it lol.
I agree 100% with the fact that a large profile c63 would be practical for any sort of street driving and it is far from the best platform to drag race. A locked cam in a k series engine is actually a common setup people do it all the time and they are street cars too, but remember these guys are doing this to a eg hatchback (92 civic) lol very different.

Originally Posted by skratch77
interested in that new hardware hp tuners has. Any more info on that?

from what I've seen know one can make decent power yet using them.

I think the highest is like 452whp so far on qualudes car with full bolt on.
I have HP Tuners, I need to replace my engine mounts before I can finish getting tuned (engine mounts are so bad they're causing false knock, I'm to busy to swap them out), but here is the link to the new hardware. My tuner, Jamie Marsh, he mentioned the biggest problem with the old setup was the read and write times are so slow that tuning timing becomes very very painful so this new hardware should help. I should be getting everything tuned by spring, I have a V7 map as well so I don''t mind comparing the dyno sheets and sending them if your interested.

https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/
The following users liked this post:
HPTuners (03-01-2019)