Sponsored by:

Purchase Decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Question Purchase Decision

Hello everyone. I recently test drove a W204 and fell in love with it so I am looking to buy one and need help with what would best the best deal.

Two Options:

Option 1 - 2009 Black - Black wheels 55,000 miles for all in $24,000 - https://bit.ly/2FI1N8A - clean title
Option 2 - 2010 Silver - Silver 61,000 miles listed for $20,000. Probably can get it all in for 21,000. - https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...923783482.html Has a Eurocharged tune and is decatted, but also has had an accident.

I went and looked at the black one at the dealer. The dealer had initially listed the car for 21,995 but increased the price on me and jacked it up on his website. Car is in perfect condition minus a few rock chips on the bumper. Transmission is late to shift. however, according to reviews this is normal with the lag?

I prefer black over the silver as well as the silver trim over the wood grain. But I am willing to spend less for a better deal as I want to put some money into aftermarket parts and possibly a wrap.

Last edited by liftofff; 07-01-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport / '11 C63
Honestly, both look decent overall. Not bad prices and good mileage, see if either have had the headbolt issue addressed and if they haven't just keep that in mind.

Is $24k after taxes, title and fee's, if so not bad and if you can and have looked at it, but the late shifting I'm not sure what you mean. They aren't the fastest shifting but I'm guessing you mean in manual mode with paddle shifts? For an auto tranny unless you wait till red line I feel mine shifts fairly quick to be honest, not like a double clutch one but still not like a 10 second delay either.

The 2010 isn't bad either but it depends if you want one that's already been molested as I put it. I always enjoy being the one to do things so I know whats done and how it's done. Aside from that seems a good price on it too.

In either case I'd get a PPI done, even then you never know though. I just got mine and PPI passed very well but after a couple weeks I also have the power steering whine so I will need to address that along with I think an intake cam adjuster. So just be sure to leave a few grand in the bank for things that come up, you may have nothing but you may have something you need to drop $3k on out the gate too.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt, many others on here have much more experience with the M156 so hopefully they will chime in.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by catmandoob
Honestly, both look decent overall. Not bad prices and good mileage, see if either have had the headbolt issue addressed and if they haven't just keep that in mind.

Is $24k after taxes, title and fee's, if so not bad and if you can and have looked at it, but the late shifting I'm not sure what you mean. They aren't the fastest shifting but I'm guessing you mean in manual mode with paddle shifts? For an auto tranny unless you wait till red line I feel mine shifts fairly quick to be honest, not like a double clutch one but still not like a 10 second delay either.

The 2010 isn't bad either but it depends if you want one that's already been molested as I put it. I always enjoy being the one to do things so I know whats done and how it's done. Aside from that seems a good price on it too.

In either case I'd get a PPI done, even then you never know though. I just got mine and PPI passed very well but after a couple weeks I also have the power steering whine so I will need to address that along with I think an intake cam adjuster. So just be sure to leave a few grand in the bank for things that come up, you may have nothing but you may have something you need to drop $3k on out the gate too.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt, many others on here have much more experience with the M156 so hopefully they will chime in.
I think I probably will get the black 09
$24,000 is all in after everything. But I do not know nor does the dealer know if the headbolt issue was addressed.

I know the shifting is delayed for the paddles. However for the automatic it has a lag. Maybe it's because I've only driven SUVs that are auto? I'll punch the car and when shifting it will take a few seconds to think before upshifting. Doesn't seem to be too big of an issue though.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport / '11 C63
ah yeah, you are referring to that lag haha, I gotcha now. Yeah it can take getting used to, the 722.9 tranny is fairly solid but wasn't the fastest per se. I got used to it with my others and wifes that has it so I don't even think of it much anymore. I always give myself 2 seconds now when passing or pulling out to compensate. Benz has gotten better but at same time it's what allowed them to keep such a smooth ride with smooth shifts when not wanting WOT, I tend to really enjoy that part when just putting around town unlike some auto's especially with 4 bangers, feel so harsh sometimes when tehy shift.