Sponsored by:

2012 C63 Harmon Kardon sound problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
2012 C63 Harmon Kardon sound problem

Hi everyone, I just bought a 2012 C63. I don’t know why the front tweeters sound bad when I play music with Bluetooth device. I use Apple Music so the file itself should be fine. The tweeters sounds cracking when the music has bass. The bass and treble setting are in normal level with logic 7 on. It sounds normal when I listen to the radio tho.
The car only has 70k km on it, so I think the speakers should be okay.

Thank you
Old 09-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Sedan
For some reason, the output signal coming out of your device is too high and it is likely clipping, which is causing the crackling in the tweeters. When a bass signal clips, the abrupt change in shape of the wave is a high frequency event, and passes through the crossover and onto the tweeter. Be very careful, as these clipped signals can blow your tweeters.

Sorry for geeking out, I'm somewhat of an audiophile. In any case, you will need to figure out how to lower the output signal from your device. This could be as simple as lowering the bluetooth volume on your device once it's connected. That usually does the trick. Keep lowering it until all the crackling is gone, and then lower it one or two more clicks for a little bit of headroom. This should not affect your listening volume, because all you are doing is lowering the output from your phone, and then you can raise the volume on your actual sound system as desired.

If that doesn't work, see if there is some sort of bass boost or equalizer on your bluetooth device, and defeat it/zero it out. Something is making your bluetooth signal clip.

BTW, enjoy the car! It's a blast!
Old 09-09-2019, 01:28 PM

2012 C63
Originally Posted by BalanBro
For some reason, the output signal coming out of your device is too high and it is likely clipping, which is causing the crackling in the tweeters. When a bass signal clips, the abrupt change in shape of the wave is a high frequency event, and passes through the crossover and onto the tweeter. Be very careful, as these clipped signals can blow your tweeters.

Sorry for geeking out, I'm somewhat of an audiophile. In any case, you will need to figure out how to lower the output signal from your device. This could be as simple as lowering the bluetooth volume on your device once it's connected. That usually does the trick. Keep lowering it until all the crackling is gone, and then lower it one or two more clicks for a little bit of headroom. This should not affect your listening volume, because all you are doing is lowering the output from your phone, and then you can raise the volume on your actual sound system as desired.

If that doesn't work, see if there is some sort of bass boost or equalizer on your bluetooth device, and defeat it/zero it out. Something is making your bluetooth signal clip.

BTW, enjoy the car! It's a blast!
Super helpful. Thank you so much!!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
As BalanBro said, the level is too high for the Bluettoth input. If it's an iPhone you can just turn it down using the volume controls on the side of the iPhone but there is also a setting in you car that adjusts the input level. I can't remember exactly where but play around the different menus when you have the device connected and you should find it.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 AM

2012 C63
Originally Posted by Mr Jones
As BalanBro said, the level is too high for the Bluettoth input. If it's an iPhone you can just turn it down using the volume controls on the side of the iPhone but there is also a setting in you car that adjusts the input level. I can't remember exactly where but play around the different menus when you have the device connected and you should find it.
Alright, I’ll look into it. Thank you so much!