Sponsored by:

2010 C63 AMG (open heart surgery)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 c63 AMG
2010 C63 AMG (open heart surgery)

Good morning MBWorld. So I finally man'd up and opened up the guts. I was experiencing the rattle on startup. After researching, the discovered the difference a worn plate and a decent one. So I went out and bought lifters, camshafts, and adjusters from another local AMG owner. I dismantled all adjusters to see which ones held the best locking pin lip. Takes a bit of time and research but everything is straight forward. I ended up replacing just the lifters and adjusters. Tell me why all of the lifters spring had ZERO play. I found that weird. I've heard of some lifters being purely oil pressurized... I may be wrong. Timing the engine had to be the most challenging thIng I've ever done. I compare it to a RUBIX CUBE. If you're not into things of that sort, that will test your mind, then DO NOT ATTEMPT. I believed that once you fixed one side then everything is FINE... NO! You have to attack both sides. So when I put it back together , and the timing was OFF....the sound of the car trying to start will break your heart. TRUST ME.

After a full week of trial and error , the car is finally back up and running.

This is like Chicken Pox for the AMG...it's bound to happen eventually. You just gotta be ready to treat it.

I'm am by NO MEANS a mechanic, but I believe me and the 63 have become ONE with this process.

So if you have any concerns about your whip with sounds, feel free to ask...I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2019, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Did you try the timing tool they sell on ebay for 100 bucks
Old 09-19-2019, 12:54 PM

2010 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
Did you try the timing tool they sell on ebay for 100 bucks
From Amazon, but I'm sure they are the same.👍
Old 09-19-2019, 01:09 PM

C63 soon
A DIY description would be nice if you have the time
Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 PM

2010 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by Turkish05
A DIY description would be nice if you have the time

I legit got all my info from this You Tuber named Tasos. He can give the visual and more detailed strategy. Would've been nice to have two sets of timing tools but one is enough. Watch THAT video 1st.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:20 PM

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG P31 Estate wagon
I had a constant ticking so recently replaced all my lifters and did the adjuster pin flip using Tasos as my guide.
I didn't find setting the timing hard using the tool, as long as you set the timing mark before you dismantle the camshafts.
Mine has 100k/klm so did a major service,
I replaced the spark plugs, injectors, air filters, pulleys and belt from FCP Euro.
Also used Liqui Moly 5w/40 with Ceratec and the engine just purrs now.
On the tool note I bought one off Amazon (anodized red plate with markings) and a used one off eBay.
But the used one (silver plate with no marknings) must have been a cheap chinese knock off because the plate holes didn't line a with the front cover bolt holes and the front camshaft locking tool didn't line up with the valve cover bolt holes.
We are only talking the tiniest margins but the short of it is they do not line up.
What I did salvage out of the kit was the adjuster timing gear locking tool which made it easy to remove both camshafts at same time.