Ceramic coating herders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 01:57 AM

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts
C63 AMG
Ceramic coating herders

G'day Fellas,

Just checking to see what the general consensus is on ceramic coating headers. I have heard a few mixed opinions from various mechanics/shops. Most places have told me it's a complete waste of money and offers no appreciable increase in performance.
It may be a different story for cars with turbos.

Some people have commented that ceramic coating prevents headers from developing rust/corrosion spots. However I would only ever use headers made from stainless steel. No idea why anyone runs any mild steel parts on their car.

Also, has anyone heard of any internal ceramic coating failing and flaking off? I'm worried that if I did buy a set of headers with internal ceramic coating, it may flake off and end up in the cylinders and root my engine.

Edit. I am aware I spelt headers wrong in the header. Not sure how to fix it.

Last edited by Panzerbiscuit; 10-21-2019 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 10-21-2019, 03:09 AM

Received 233 Likes on 127 Posts
C63
I have my headers coated, it definitely helps keep under hood temps down as well as the heat inside the exhaust.
Look at it this way, why would OEM put shields on everything.

Also my headers I had done at swaintech in NY, and it was I think 450 shipped to have them coated.

still look as good as the day I put them on
Old 10-21-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Originally Posted by Phil1305
I have my headers coated, it definitely helps keep under hood temps down as well as the heat inside the exhaust.
Look at it this way, why would OEM put shields on everything.
Because of EPA emission standards to get the engine up to optimal running temperature as soon as possible.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe
G'Day Fella's,

Panzerbiscuit, apparently the ceramic coating helps to retain the exhaust heat, inside the exhaust headers, for longer.
I'm sure nobody needed to be told this!
Just like the material exhaust wrap product, ceramic coated exhaust headers, do the same thing, it's just that the ceramic coating looks neater.
Again, the retention of this exhaust heat, apparently helps to increase engine power output?

FYI, I have for some years now, been applying the www.nicindustries.com "Cerakote" product, to firearms and their accessories.
This is obviously applied for different reasons but it is the same basic product (application specific), as applied to exhaust systems.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer