Sponsored by:

P31 / H&R Springs or coilovers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 09:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'10 C63 P30
P31 / H&R Springs or coilovers?

Hi all, sorry for the 'book' - bottom line questions below the following paragraph to avoid the read.

My P30 C63's been sitting for the better part of 2+ years while I've been working through some spine/health issues (could be worse so I'm good) but coming to the realization that anything with a manual and/or harsh suspension(P30s fun on smooth back roads but annoying on the highway and any harsh roads) is likely not in my future. I've had a used/fairly clean P31/HR spring set-up(still need rear shocks) sitting most of that time to install but given that I'm likely to get rid of another car, am good putting a few more $s into the 63 if I can justify it (plus put aside any doubt that my used set-up might have issues). Over the years, I think I've read just about every suspension thread I can and if a reasonable, extremely clean/verifiably working(if thats even possibly) used KW V3 set pop'd up I'd probably go for it, but I haven't seen 1 in a while and adding nearly $5K (by the time its all done) to my 100k+ mile 63 for a new set is a mental hurdle I can't swing - it won't see the track and probably not that many miles.

For a smooth enough highway experience for an occasional long trip with the most street fun, what would you choose...
* Bilstein PSS10
* BC Racing ERs - have no doubt the Bilstein is better quality but they won't see anything too aggressive or many miles and an old positive online article(possibly marketing BS?) with that extra reserve (KW v3 copy?) keeps these stuck in my mind as an option
*have my used P31/HR checked out(some how?), save the $'s and be done with it
* keep waiting for a used KW V3 deal (I'm not in any real hurry and still an option but a used purchase is a bit less appealing not being able to attempt my own install and/or repair)
* or ?
Fortune and HR(noisy?) COs have some positive mentions and potential but for few more $'s would likely go with 1 of the above. Have only recently seen the KSport+2(ER) but appear more track oriented and no reviews/users I can find.

Appreciate any experienced opinion here but especially from those who've gone from P31/HRs or P30 to COs. For those who prefer COs, stick with OEM strut mounts or something else and is there anything else worth doing during the replacement? Car has just over 100K with original suspension but still pretty tight