Sponsored by:

Help Diagnosing Front Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 12:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Question Help Diagnosing Front Suspension Noise

Aroung 5k miles ago, I started getting a front end knocking/rattling noise. After research and digging, i decided to swap out the sway bar end links as its a fairly easy and quick procedure. While this seemed to help a little bit, the noise is definitely still there. I have been doing alot of reading and watching videos, but I havent narrowed down the root cause just yet. My thoughts are strut bearings, but I am hoping that someone from this forum can help me narrow it down.

The noise occurs when driving straight at lower speeds on a otherwise flat surface. It also happens when the car is still and I turn the wheel. It sounds like it is mostly coming from the right front area. It tends to be worse after driving the car around vs just starting it up and turning the wheel. Please see the videos below (pay no attention to my son blabbering in the video). Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://imgur.com/m0eJRrv

https://imgur.com/sZiQq3x
Old 06-18-2021, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,593 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I didn't look at any of the links but check your cross strut (lower control arm) ball joints. They are upward facing and close to the brakes so they are a common failure point.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 194 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Sounds like either one of the lower balljoints or the bearing on the upper strut mount. Possibly a tie rod end but those are super rare to fail unless in a wreck. If it's that obvious you just need a second person to listen while turning. I tend to think more of the upper strut mount bearing as the issue from the video.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
Sounds like either one of the lower balljoints or the bearing on the upper strut mount. Possibly a tie rod end but those are super rare to fail unless in a wreck. If it's that obvious you just need a second person to listen while turning. I tend to think more of the upper strut mount bearing as the issue from the video.
thanks for the reply. I have also been thinking the upper strut bearings as well, just wanted to get more opinions before I tear into it. One key piece of information I forgot to mention is that I am lowered on Bilstein coil overs.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Same here. I replace the motor mounts, lower control arm, and front strut. I didn't order the upper strut bearing and regret it. I'm pretty sure that's were my noise is at. I'm just dealing it for now since I got my alignment from Mercedes lol. Ill wait to replace some thing else before I disassemble everything again,