Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBD, ABS, ESC Inoperative....Remedy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 P31 Obsidian; 1990 ZX11
Lightbulb EBD, ABS, ESC Inoperative....Remedy?

Maybe....can't be sure.

Situation - The day after finishing a four-hour road trip, the next morning, got the tone and the dashboard read-out. Yes, power steering got heavy, along with cruise control failing. Dealt with it for about a week, with the failure only occurring when I exceeded 10-12 MPH. As long as I creeped below the speed threshold, it didn't fail; only when increase in speed, did it fail again. Got my regular local MB dealer to analyze by day 7, and the comeback from the dealer was a failed ECU. I'm in Germany, so the price for a replacement was circa 1500.00 Euros (close to $1800 at today's exchange). Also looked on the web (Ebay, mainly) for a used ECU and saw none of the used ECUs for a C63 matched the part number the MB dealer provided (part #A0035407045). Several Ebay ads mentioned W204 in their descriptions, but all numbers on the ECUs themselves did not match; plus the part number wasn't in the description either. If I had to replace the ECU, I wanted to preserve my 2017 V7 tune from Eurocharged, with a plan to get the handheld to upload from the Houston shop.

Wanted a second opinion and made an appointment at another nearby MB dealer. Appointments are tough, and got slotted for 21 Sep. A long time to wait, but figured it was worth the wait to decide a good and cost effective COA.

In the meantime, continued driving as long as the brake system worked; no issues there. Did some Forum and web searching and saw stories of the "anomaly" disappearing on its own; some mentioned after 10 days. That kind of happened to me, but not entirely sure. Since every time the failure message display came up, you have to press "OK" to get the standard screen to return. Midway into the day 11 morning of the failure, when I picked up speed from zero, I repeatedly pressed the "OK" button through the speed threshold. Viola.....the failure message didn't reappear and hasn't returned since. No telling if what I did on day 11 was worth anything, but thought I'd share just in case it can help someone else. Maybe not have to wait for the passage of 10+ days, if there's a short-cut/work around. For me, so far, so good.

Should I replace the ECU? Seriously considering it, as I plan on keeping the car forever; but would rather do it on my terms and pace. Had the car since its birth and it just turned over 100K miles. This is the oddest issue I've had with the car since 2010, and I get full use of its potential whenever I can on the autobahn. The tune, along with the full MHP headers Eurocharged installed for me, turns heads and gives rise to a thumbs up from German enthusiasts almost all the time.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
your opus has forgotten one thing in that any correct diagnosis starts with a good scan then you follow the faults------you need to start over and listen rather than create more noise
Old 09-04-2021, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
If you have the device to load files on to your ecu try to load the stock file on and see if you have the same problem.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz W204 C63 AMG | CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by EC C63
Maybe....can't be sure.

Situation - The day after finishing a four-hour road trip, the next morning, got the tone and the dashboard read-out. Yes, power steering got heavy, along with cruise control failing. Dealt with it for about a week, with the failure only occurring when I exceeded 10-12 MPH. As long as I creeped below the speed threshold, it didn't fail; only when increase in speed, did it fail again. Got my regular local MB dealer to analyze by day 7, and the comeback from the dealer was a failed ECU. I'm in Germany, so the price for a replacement was circa 1500.00 Euros (close to $1800 at today's exchange). Also looked on the web (Ebay, mainly) for a used ECU and saw none of the used ECUs for a C63 matched the part number the MB dealer provided (part #A0035407045). Several Ebay ads mentioned W204 in their descriptions, but all numbers on the ECUs themselves did not match; plus the part number wasn't in the description either. If I had to replace the ECU, I wanted to preserve my 2017 V7 tune from Eurocharged, with a plan to get the handheld to upload from the Houston shop.

Wanted a second opinion and made an appointment at another nearby MB dealer. Appointments are tough, and got slotted for 21 Sep. A long time to wait, but figured it was worth the wait to decide a good and cost effective COA.

In the meantime, continued driving as long as the brake system worked; no issues there. Did some Forum and web searching and saw stories of the "anomaly" disappearing on its own; some mentioned after 10 days. That kind of happened to me, but not entirely sure. Since every time the failure message display came up, you have to press "OK" to get the standard screen to return. Midway into the day 11 morning of the failure, when I picked up speed from zero, I repeatedly pressed the "OK" button through the speed threshold. Viola.....the failure message didn't reappear and hasn't returned since. No telling if what I did on day 11 was worth anything, but thought I'd share just in case it can help someone else. Maybe not have to wait for the passage of 10+ days, if there's a short-cut/work around. For me, so far, so good.

Should I replace the ECU? Seriously considering it, as I plan on keeping the car forever; but would rather do it on my terms and pace. Had the car since its birth and it just turned over 100K miles. This is the oddest issue I've had with the car since 2010, and I get full use of its potential whenever I can on the autobahn. The tune, along with the full MHP headers Eurocharged installed for me, turns heads and gives rise to a thumbs up from German enthusiasts almost all the time.
Sounds like an ESP module failure, they have 2 stages of failure symptoms, sounds like you have both. As suggested, a scan will confirm. If it is the module, they can be repaired or swapped to a later model module without the fault and coded from your original module.