Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Changing After Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2021 | 09:34 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Alignment Changing After Driving

I have had an issue over the past few months that i have not experienced in a car before so i am hoping that someone can help. I hit a pot hole earlier in the summer which knocked the car out of alignment.The steering wheel was off-center and slightly pulling to the right. I had the car re-aligned by a bix box store as it was the fastest I could get into somewhere.

After the alignment the steering wheel was still off center. I was lazy and assumed it was due to the bix box being lazy or not knowing what they were doing. So I had an alignment scheduled with my indy that I typically use for all other work. They aligned the car and centered the wheel. It was fine for the first day and then the steering wheel slowly moved off center again the more I drove until it was right back to where it had been before the work. Has anyone ever run into a problem like this in the past? Its like something is coming loose and allowing the alignment to move after the proceedure is complete. One thing to note is that I am lowered on Bilstein PSS10's with the KMAC rear bushing kit.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 10-05-2021 | 07:51 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
you could have busted a bushing that was ready to go. also, most of those box stores have an alignment warranty for 30 day or so. you can bring your car back for a realignment free of charge.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 10-06-2021 | 08:02 AM

2009 C63 AMG
I had the car back in 3 times now for investigation/ alignments. Every time the car continues to pull to the right and the wheel is off-center after continued driving. After a few days it ends up back where it was pre-alignment. Feedback I got this morning is they think the lower control arm bushing/ball joints have gone bad on the right side which is causing the car to pull to the right after a few days of driving. The thought process is they get it all lined up and then the bushing eventually gets back out of place again.

I do have a knocking coming from the front right suspension area. I had previously thought that the strut bearings were going bad and needed replaced. But it might make sense that its the lower control arm as well.
Old 10-06-2021 | 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
What I'd be just as concerned with here is that your shop didn't catch a bushing and/or control arm problem (after attempting to fix it 3 times)... which is what it sounds like. You need to take it to a better shop.
The following users liked this post:
jsigone (10-08-2021)
Old 04-19-2022 | 12:09 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Re-starting this thread. I was eventually able to find the issue (after bringing it to a new shop more familiar with lowered vehicles). They are stating that the rear KMAC bushings have failed and are basically moving around as I drive down the road. I have searched through the forums and found that there have been issues with KMAC bushings failing on other MB vehicle platforms, but I havent seen much of it discussed in the W204 forums. KMAC seem to be the supplier of choice for most people.

Question is, are there other options instead of KMAC in the rear? Has anyone else had issues with their KMAC bushings failing after so many miles? I want to get the camber back in a good spot but I dont know the best path to go down at this point (arms vs bushings, etc.)

Old 09-12-2024 | 03:31 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by TJH416
Re-starting this thread. I was eventually able to find the issue (after bringing it to a new shop more familiar with lowered vehicles). They are stating that the rear KMAC bushings have failed and are basically moving around as I drive down the road. I have searched through the forums and found that there have been issues with KMAC bushings failing on other MB vehicle platforms, but I havent seen much of it discussed in the W204 forums. KMAC seem to be the supplier of choice for most people.

Question is, are there other options instead of KMAC in the rear? Has anyone else had issues with their KMAC bushings failing after so many miles? I want to get the camber back in a good spot but I dont know the best path to go down at this point (arms vs bushings, etc.)
Just spotted your 2022 inquiry now in 2024 !

The actual K-MAC design - is for both “Front Camber and Caster” - along with “Rear Camber and Extra Toe” FOR MODELS WHERE NO OEM ADJUSTMENT EXISTS.

HAS BEEN IN PRODUCTION SINCE 1993. Over 30 years - well and truly proven. (Not only day to day commuting but all out heavy V8 Competition racing) !

WITH ALL THE FEATURES - Designed to fit without time consuming need to remove control arms. Precise easily accessible single wrench adjustment. ULTIMATE - direct on alignment rack UNDER LOAD.

FOR LONG TERM MAINTENANCE FREE OPERATION. IT’S BASIC (AS HIGHLIGHTED ON INSTRUCTION SHEET) - AFTER “INITIAL ALIGNMENT AND CAMBER BEING SET. CORRECT TORQUE SETTINGS IS APPLIED ALLOWING FULL CLAMPING TO TAKE PLACE. THEN APPLYING THE K-MAC FAIL SAFE LOCK SYSTEM.

AUDI to VOLVO - K-MAC Experience Resolving OEM Suspension Shortcomings (and Costs) Since 1964 !
Old 10-05-2024 | 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
lol when KMAC bumps a 2 year old thread of their product causing problems.
Old 10-07-2024 | 02:36 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Yes it’s basic, elementary - all about ensuring time of initial alignment bolt is fully tightened / clamped. Otherwise constant movement / wear under brake and acceleration and bush failure.

AUDI to VOLVO - Experience Of Resolving OEM Suspension Shortcomings (and Costs) Since 1964 !