Sponsored by:

oil temp higher after switching to 10W-60

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 06:07 PM

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
W204 c63
Originally Posted by Diabolis
I was able to track the car without any mechanical issues in the heat of summer, unless you count the eventual and repeated creaking of the sunroof cassette after every event from the chassis flexing. It is a nice track car - albeit quite heavy
The full compliment of Ultra Racing chassis braces underneath has helped a good bit with this. The under chassis braces made a pretty big difference above and beyond just my strut braces.
The following users liked this post:
Diabolis (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 09:59 AM

Received 233 Likes on 127 Posts
C63
I'll chime in here for a minute too, I run 5w-50 in my car and I can see my oil Temps are slightly higher. Do I feel a 50wt oil is needed not necessarily as mu bearing clearances haven't changed, im more worried about oil shearing but even then I may run 3k on my oci so a 5w-40 would more than likely be fine but I'm supercharged and Beat the hell out of my car. For a regular bolt on m156 a good 5w-40 is what you should run. I run schaeffer's which is out of the norm for these guys but it has good amounts of moly and zddp in the oil which is good for flat tappets. To each his own but most oils are fine in 5w-40.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:54 AM

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 C63 P31, 2023 GR Corolla CE
Cool

Originally Posted by Diabolis
. As a regular track toy, after going through three Porsches myself
What do you mean by "going through"? I ask, because my last track/recreational car was a 2006 Cayman S that met it's end via bore scoring/oil starvation. I didn't do a full diagnosis (why bother?) but I lost a rod bearing at Carolina Motorsports Park. And then by looking at past evidence (though not evident at the time) from multiple oil analyses and the occasional exhaust smoke I think I can pinpoint the date when it started (a very hot weekend at Roebling Road - 100°F ambient temps both days of event). Suffice to say I was pretty furious to experience engine failure at 117k miles in Porsche. Thought those cars were designed for such use

Old 11-08-2021, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by WolfpackC63
What do you mean by "going through"? I ask, because my last track/recreational car was a 2006 Cayman S that met it's end via bore scoring/oil starvation. I didn't do a full diagnosis (why bother?) but I lost a rod bearing at Carolina Motorsports Park. And then by looking at past evidence (though not evident at the time) from multiple oil analyses and the occasional exhaust smoke I think I can pinpoint the date when it started (a very hot weekend at Roebling Road - 100°F ambient temps both days of event). Suffice to say I was pretty furious to experience engine failure at 117k miles in Porsche. Thought those cars were designed for such use

I mean I've had three Porsche track cars that I had poured so much money into that they are simply not worth it... even after I invested in a VAG-only indie shop where I get parts and labour at cost. Plus, the cars that kept - and still keep - coming into the shop were enough to make me look elsewhere. With the possible exception of the Mezger-derived engines, everything made in the last 25 years from the M96/97 to the 9A1 platform is either not built for track use or has enough latent defects to make it unable to withstand track use the way the air-cooled cars of old did. I've seen more Spec Caymans with destroyed motors due to high-g oiling issues - never mind the equally catastrophic bore scoring or IMS failures - to completely turn me off from wanting one despite the fact that they are a pleasure to drive, so I completely understand where you are coming from.