Engine Rocking / Shaking When Take Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
Engine Rocking / Shaking When Take Off

Hi all, I have a 2012 C63 at 43k miles.

Just took her out for a tail happy drive during rain, with traction control off. When you start accelerating and rears start spinning, the front of the car starts rocking / shaking for 2 secs then goes away. Doesn’t happen when you drive / accelerate normal.

Could you please help me identify the issue?

Engine mounts? When you stop the engine, it doesn’t shake at all, not sure if this is the issue.

Rev limiter? I’ve been told it could be that. I might have revved a bit high because of the wet road, and been told that rev limiter feels like that way as well. Not sure if it would rock / shake engine like that. Can anybody tell from experience?

I used to own a 97 Z28, you could drive tail happy in rain as long as your tyres last without engine rocking. It may be normal for C63, bought it only two weeks ago, still learning about her. Any help appreciated.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG
…. Trolling us or what?

Just in case that you’re not, it’s very easy to “test” your engine mounts. Put the car in D, hold down the brakes firmly while giving throttle.

As far as the conditions you described, w/ TC off, you’re bound to hit the rev limit since you’re spinning tires freely. The wheel spin/hop will also cause the to vibrate, shake, etc…. Especially if you’re not good with throttle control.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
Originally Posted by Slow_c63
…. Trolling us or what?

Just in case that you’re not, it’s very easy to “test” your engine mounts. Put the car in D, hold down the brakes firmly while giving throttle.

As far as the conditions you described, w/ TC off, you’re bound to hit the rev limit since you’re spinning tires freely. The wheel spin/hop will also cause the to vibrate, shake, etc…. Especially if you’re not good with throttle control.
I’m not a troll, just new to C63. I’ve never experienced wheel hop with the Z28, and like to think that I’m good with throttle, I didn’t even floor it when it happened, but can’t really compare the cars. I may just have to get used to this one.

Regarding the engine mounts, I’ll check them again, as it felt like it rocked the car from front.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Take a video, should be interesting.