Deviating Intake Camshaft Timing Error Code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 c63 AMG
Deviating Intake Camshaft Timing Error Code

Hello MBWorld!

Irecently had the car taken down to replace all 4 backplates to my camshaft adjusters.

(Shoutout to 63 Motorsports)

I replaced them.. did the timing procedures several times(on both sides) to ensure tools fit correctly at 40degrees. Put the car back together and it started up way better than any coldstart previous of this.(Ratlling)

I started to drive it and at very low rpms, I can hear a low clunking noise. It slowly fades as at higher rpm or when car is at warmer temperatures. The lower the rpm, the louder it seems the get. I tried going into 1st gear and it got louder.. but under a load, the sound fades.

CEL came on a day later.

2 error codes popped up.

I assumed it would be my passenger side intake camshaft position sensor. So I replaced it. (Yes, it was visually jacked up)

Cleared the codes but they later returned.

The car idles rough when cold but that fades as car warms. Also the low rattle sound during low rpms that also fade after 10mph+.

Otherwise the car drives as it should.

Any ensight on this matter would be much appreciated!! 🙏🏽

Stay Blessed AMG GANG!

Last edited by Nate GZ; 11-13-2021 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-13-2021, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
You need to have the re-learn process performed.
The following users liked this post:
Nate GZ (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 09:03 AM

2010 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
You need to have the re-learn process performed.
I appreciate the response J! Will this be something I just let the dealership handle or can this be doing at an Indy Shop?
Old 11-13-2021, 09:26 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Originally Posted by Nate GZ
I appreciate the response J! Will this be something I just let the dealership handle or can this be doing at an Indy Shop?
Some advanced scanners can do module calibrations. Buy yourself one like the Foxwell NT530 or an indy with SDS can do it other than the dealer.
Nate GZ (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 11:51 AM

2010 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by Solo wing
Some advanced scanners can do module calibrations. Buy yourself one like the Foxwell NT530 or an indy with SDS can do it other than the dealer.
So if i were to get this machine..I could calibrate it myself? How easy of a process is this? As I’m not to savvy in this area 😅
Old 11-13-2021, 11:56 AM

2010 c63 AMG
I also own the iCarSoft MB II Scanner..

would this suffice or would i need the upgrade?
Old 11-13-2021, 06:32 PM

So if i were to get this machine..I could calibrate it myself? How easy of a process is this? As I’m not to savvy in this area 😅
I also own the iCarSoft MB II Scanner..

would this suffice or would i need the upgrade?
Alot of calibration procedures are easy. You just follow the instructions. If I remember correctly, the camshaft learning adaptations require the coolant temp to be between 5 - 80 C. Then the tool will ask you to rev to about 2000+ RPM for a few seconds in idle, in which you'd know if the adaptation was a success or not.
I am not sure about the Carsoft tool. You can ask them for support or search for this function in the tool.
Nate GZ (11-16-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 11:46 AM

2010 c63 AMG
Alot of calibration procedures are easy. You just follow the instructions. If I remember correctly, the camshaft learning adaptations require the coolant temp to be between 5 - 80 C. Then the tool will ask you to rev to about 2000+ RPM for a few seconds in idle, in which you'd know if the adaptation was a success or not.
I am not sure about the Carsoft tool. You can ask them for support or search for this function in the tool.
Morning again!

I have a ”MythBuster” type question relating to the relearn process. I am being told that anytime any camshaft/crankshaft work is done that this relearn procedure needs to be performed. Fair enough.

I am now being told that all 4 position sensors and all 4 solenoids should be replaced before relearning.

My question is...

Is changing all sensors/solenoids absolutely required to be changed before a relearn precessions can be performed?

As as i stated earlier in the post, the scanner is pointing the issue towards my passenger side intake.(bank 1)

I have SINCE changed out bank 1 cam position sensor and cam solenoid(both intake)... with the engine light still consistent.

After getting the timing checked by Indy mechanic.. he states that timing looks fine, but calibration is required. But before i can get this calibration, he’s suggesting i replace everything!(sensors/solenoids) That’s $1700 with labor/calibration incl.

I can easily replace all these pieces on my own plus relearn it, in that case. No?

Old 12-03-2021, 04:21 PM

Morning again!

I have a ”MythBuster” type question relating to the relearn process. I am being told that anytime any camshaft/crankshaft work is done that this relearn procedure needs to be performed. Fair enough.

I am now being told that all 4 position sensors and all 4 solenoids should be replaced before relearning.

My question is...

Is changing all sensors/solenoids absolutely required to be changed before a relearn precessions can be performed?

As as i stated earlier in the post, the scanner is pointing the issue towards my passenger side intake.(bank 1)

I have SINCE changed out bank 1 cam position sensor and cam solenoid(both intake)... with the engine light still consistent.

After getting the timing checked by Indy mechanic.. he states that timing looks fine, but calibration is required. But before i can get this calibration, he’s suggesting i replace everything!(sensors/solenoids) That’s $1700 with labor/calibration incl.

I can easily replace all these pieces on my own plus relearn it, in that case. No?
It's NOT necessary to replace the sensors & solenoids unless they in-fact have an issue. My engine was opened probably 3 or 4 times over the years and It's still runing the original sensors & solenoids.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:44 PM

2010 c63 AMG
It's NOT necessary to replace the sensors & solenoids unless they in-fact have an issue. My engine was opened probably 3 or 4 times over the years and It's still runing the original sensors & solenoids.
i was gonna say! This is definitely NOT the first time I’ve opened up the engine to do work on it.. let alone switch out a sensor. I was just ignorant to the fact that this relearn had to be performed. Will update you soon!!

”There is no knowledge that is not power!!”

much appreciated!! 🙏🏽
Old 12-03-2021, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Was there play in the pulse wheel when the front tool plate was installed? If you could clock it at all and you didn't take note where it was before you removed it. It could have been installed it in a different spot requiring the re-learn.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:40 PM

2010 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Was there play in the pulse wheel when the front tool plate was installed? If you could clock it at all and you didn't take note where it was before you removed it. It could have been installed it in a different spot requiring the re-learn.
Understood. I feel what you saying.

I do recall one of the wheels having SLIGHT PLAY.. but within the respective grooves of the front plate. Almost like trying to ‘jimmy’ a locked doorknob..