Sponsored by:

C63 HPDE weekend at VIR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 08:40 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
without getting to much into it...all valid points from everyone.

do I think OP has excessive hand movement, yes I do. no argument there. do I think he'll learn his way out of it, yes I do. is his driving line good, yes it is. I do agree with all information and opinions shared as well. I do want to call out, driving style should always be constantly evolving and never static. do what is correct for you with the logic of maintaining a specific rule set, but don't think there is only one way and that is the only way.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackC63 (12-14-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 10:27 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
@BLKROKT

Dropped my 99 Yamaha R1 at druids back in the day.....was absolutely fine ............until someone not looking far enough ahead ran me over. That hurt! Hour to recover and back out!!!...only light cosmetic damage of my track day only body work plus scratched bar end weight and bent front brake lever........he was not so lucky bent forks and three broken fingers....serves him right!!! I did have some very pretty bruises next day though!
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (12-08-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 03:24 PM

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 C63 P31, 2023 GR Corolla CE
Smile

Originally Posted by ALFAitalia
Jason....your video is sown as not available....

hachiroku....I disagree. I think you would caught that slide much faster if you had not been moving your hands around the wheel so much (shuffling). On a track day my hands don't move from 9 and 3 o'clock positions except on the very sharpest hairpin bends....only two track I go to have a bend that sharp (Brand's Hatch and Donington park) and even then Id rather tighten the turn with a bit more throttle then have to move my hands if there is the space and I can go fast enough. . If you are already at the limit of your arm movement when it cracks into a slide its the opposite way you need to steer so running out of steering angle should not be an issue.

Copied rom a race craft site I visit..

Whether you’ve got a nice flat bottom steering wheel or not, make sure to keep your hands at 9 and 3. Don’t shuffle or slide the steering wheel through your fingers and never cross your hands over each other while driving.

Why? Well, this way you’ll always know exactly how to get your car pointed straight again.

Everyone has experienced what it’s like to forget exactly which way your tires are pointed, especially when maneuvering around a parking lot. A harmless error, it’s easily corrected at low speeds. At 60 MPH, that half-second can be bad news.

Keeping your hands at 9 and 3 will also prevent you from using too much steering input. Your car’s steering system was designed for low speed maneuvering on the street, but when you’re on a track, small inputs go a long way.
I had an endurance race at Road Atlanta this past weekend and kept my hands at 3 & 9. I think I actually do prefer that. Thanks for tips!
The following 2 users liked this post by WolfpackC63:
ALFAitalia (12-15-2021), Dogtag114 (12-14-2021)